Justin Gaard

Reaction score
Listened to Justin Gaard on KFAN today. I agreed with some things he said about the coaching situation, but not others. However, one thing I believe that is clear is that he is too emotionally attached to the current staff to have an objective opinion.

ahhh, are you going to share what he said? if not this is one of the most random posts ever.

I was pretty critical of JG a few years ago when he still kept up with his Hawkeye ways, but even if he's still a Hawkeye fan he's done a good job of covering the Gophers. I think he believes in Kill and his staff - not sure that makes him "emotionally attached".

I actually agreed with pretty much everything he said. Basically just took the stance that Claeys deserves a chance and that if you hire someone completely new you are rolling the dice again (see Al Golden, Brady Hoke, Randy Edsall, etc. who were all the up-and-comers a few years ago who all flamed out and are now fired).

Listened to Justin Gaard on KFAN today. I agreed with some things he said about the coaching situation, but not others. However, one thing I believe that is clear is that he is too emotionally attached to the current staff to have an objective opinion.

Just plain silly. I think it's great someone on KFAN seams to give a rip and I think JG actually does. His main point was that Claeys shouldn't be judged on 19 seconds. Let's see what he does the rest of the season. If he makes more obvious mistakes, then you can make the case he's not the guy for the job.

I don't know if JG really "cares" or not but he's the closest thing we've got to an "objective homer" that many other teams' fans enjoy from their local radio media.

I think now he's not only got "Leidner Island" to populate but also "Claeys Island" as well. I've already got a little house trailer on Leidner but may actually need a real home on Claeys. At least I'm in the market.

As an aside the first guest (Leber) noted a potentially significant difference between Coach and Coach Claeys for the existing players as well as the recruits. Basically, Coach Kill also "pitched" or "presented" a father personna right there with being 100% football. At least to the world outside the locker room that is not the general picture of Coach Claeys. Probably will make a difference to some...which is more of a credit to Coach Kill than a slant at Coach Claeys. Everything we know to date indicates that Coach Kill was very special in many ways, including building men.

That offered, the players on defense certainly seem dedicated to both. That's probably a good sign.

Finally, I enjoy when JG subs for Dan during football season. Lots of Gophers focus and it makes for good radio.

Just plain silly. I think it's great someone on KFAN seams to give a rip and I think JG actually does. His main point was that Claeys shouldn't be judged on 19 seconds. Let's see what he does the rest of the season. If he makes more obvious mistakes, then you can make the case he's not the guy for the job.

Agreed. He's become a fan of the team and seems to care. He's 500 times more objective than that booger-eating spaz that he used to work with.

Love listening to JG. I think he definitely believes in Kill's staff, but his reasoning on all topics always seems level headed and ground in reality to me. He has a way of being objective without being cynical (sp?). I actually wish he had his own time slot on KFAN.

I like Gaardsy. Does a good job covering the Gophers.

He's fair, neither a boot-licking homer, nor the cliche, tired cynic just trying to stir the pot with ridiculous takes simply to cater to the lunatic fringe goofballs in every fan base. No complaints about him whatsoever.

I don't listen to him a lot, but I think he does a good job.

I listened to the post-game show on Saturday for the first time this year. It isn't nearly as entertaining as the Vikings postgame show after a loss.

KFAN can't win on this forum. Finally get a guy who talks "positive" about the Gophers and has good and fair coverage and you rip him.

JG is a great asset to the Gophers media coverage. I for one like that he is a fan. Keep up the great work JG!

All the Hawkeye comments later, he has been fair to the Gophers regardless of where he attended college.

I completely agree. Why can't people get past wherehe went to school? I bet many of these same people liked the Eric Nelson, Mike Max and some other crap show on CCO that routinely waxed nostalgic about Madison and Iowa City...on the Gophers station post game.

JG does a very good job! I bet if you asked the general public, nobody would realize he went to school there

Love listening to JG. I think he definitely believes in Kill's staff, but his reasoning on all topics always seems level headed and ground in reality to me. He has a way of being objective without being cynical (sp?). I actually wish he had his own time slot on KFAN.

Welcome to GopherHole Justin. 1st post!

All the Hawkeye comments later, he has been fair to the Gophers regardless of where he attended college.

Not true. He used to rip on the Gophers unmercifully. He's been much better the last 2-3 years - probably coinciding with when he got the sideline job and was ripped apart (rightfully) for wearing a Hawkeye sweatshirt while reporting on the Gophers - and admitting that he did it just to be a dick.

Just re-read some of those old threads. They were from around the time I joined. The board seemed much better/entertaining back then.

So you're saying it went downhill after you joined? ;)

Top Bottom