Justin Cobbs scores 15 in the 11th Annual Collision All-Star game

Cobbs has a chance steal some serious playing time for the Gophers next season. I'm not sure Tubby has as much patience with Nolen than he once had. From what I understand, Cobbs can look like the best west coast senior PG one day, and look like a one-star prospect the next. Hopefully he brings his good side to the Gophers. Nolen, however, will still be valuable because of his on-ball defensive skills. Let's just hold off on the Rajon Rando comparisons for now ;)

Cobbs has a chance steal some serious playing time for the Gophers next season. I'm not sure Tubby has as much patience with Nolen than he once had. From what I understand, Cobbs can look like the best west coast senior PG one day, and look like a one-star prospect the next. Hopefully he brings his good side to the Gophers. Nolen, however, will still be valuable because of his on-ball defensive skills. Let's just hold off on the Rajon Rando comparisons for now ;)

I haven't seen ANY negative reports on Cobbs from his senior HS year. All positive stories about his play this season. Never read either 1 Star or Best PG On West Coast stories about him.

No one compared either Cobbs or Nolen to Rajon Rondo.

Some compared nolen to rondo last year early when he was playing well, but it was never a very good comparison

All I've read about Cobbs says that he's got 4 star talent, but sometimes isn't the best decision maker... But FoT is right, that was all from older reports, I've heard nothing but glowing praise of him over his senior season.

I've got very high hopes for him next year.

Every time I post something on here that's not "rah-rah" Gophers, someone jumps down my throat. I think it would be naive for fans to assume that Cobbs is the next coming of Allen Iverson or even a four-star recruit. Why didn't ULCA, Gonzaga, USC or any other west coast major school jump all over this kid? I'm not in any way saying he won't successful. Hell, I hope he dethrones Nolen at the point, but I think we need to guard our optimism as fans before we a anoint these guys as top-level college talent.

We don't need a star at the point. Our team is very loaded in other areas. All we need is a point guard is more serviceable than Nolen. Preferably, someone who can shoot, doesn't turnover, and can pass into the post. Cobb doesn't need to come in and be a world beater to made a tremendous difference.

We don't need a star at the point. Our team is very loaded in other areas. All we need is a point guard is more serviceable than Nolen. Preferably, someone who can shoot, doesn't turnover, and can pass into the post. Cobb doesn't need to come in and be a world beater to made a tremendous difference.

Perfect

Every time I post something on here that's not "rah-rah" Gophers, someone jumps down my throat. I think it would be naive for fans to assume that Cobbs is the next coming of Allen Iverson or even a four-star recruit. Why didn't ULCA, Gonzaga, USC or any other west coast major school jump all over this kid? I'm not in any way saying he won't successful. Hell, I hope he dethrones Nolen at the point, but I think we need to guard our optimism as fans before we a anoint these guys as top-level college talent.

You don't have to be 'rah-rah' if you don't want to be. From all the articles and posts I've read, I don't remember anyone referring him to Allen Iverson. Don't put words in others peoples mouths. That is very annoying and can cause some to 'jump down your throat' (if someone compared him to AI, sorry). People like his potential. What is wrong with that? That is all we have to go off of since he hasn't even stepped foot on campus yet. I don't expect anyone to step in and be all BT. I think everyone is just hyped about all the talent coming in. The same goes for football. Sometimes we need to control out excitement just a bit, but it's fun to have this potential coming into our program!

"Sometimes we need to control out excitement just a bit, but it's fun to have this potential coming into our program!"

I agree, that's why I said: "...I think we need to guard our optimism as fans before we a anoint these guys as top-level college talent."

I made the Iverson reference because I have heard people say that he will come in and be an all-league point guard right away (maybe not in this site, so, sorry about that). Now, that gets annoying.

I have no problem with people being excited about Cobbs' potential, in fact, I encourage it. I just don't want people to get too excited, too early. As fans, we need patience more than anything else. Tubby has this ship steering in the right direction. I figure if he sees something in Cobbs, that should be good enough. I'm just trying to stir up some discussion.

By the way, here is my original post on Cobbs:

"Cobbs has a chance steal some serious playing time for the Gophers next season. I'm not sure Tubby has as much patience with Nolen than he once had. From what I understand, Cobbs can look like the best west coast senior PG one day, and look like a one-star prospect the next. Hopefully he brings his good side to the Gophers. Nolen, however, will still be valuable because of his on-ball defensive skills. Let's just hold off on the Rajon Rando comparisons for now"

Weisbrod I just wonder where you 'hear' all these things.

Just in conversations with some rather uneducated fans over the past year or so. No one on here though. No need to worry.

I might be taking the bait here as I don't know if this comment was sarcasm or if you were being serious, but if you heard it from uneducated fans then why pass on their uneducated opinions?

Cobbs was recruited by a number of West Coast schools including USC.

Google his name and read all about it.

Cobbs was recruited by a number of West Coast schools including USC.

Google his name and read all about it.

Yeah, you're right. I saw he was offered scholarships by Washington State, SDSU, Iowa, USC, Santa Clara and a few others, but no UCLA and Gonzaga, but that's neither here nor there. I hope he does well next season. I just don't think he's going to be a superstar RIGHT AWAY. Give him a couple seasons and he could be something special. I heard on ESPN, which may or may not be a reliable recruiting database, that "his decision-making (specifically his shot selection), is troublesome to say the least. He takes very difficult shots early in the shot clock that leave you shaking your head, but there is no question he is a talent."

I hope the good Justin Cobbs shows up at the U

Top Bottom