Just....WHY?

Yes indeed, it is the same type of "formula" 247 uses to rate 17-year-old kids to four significant figures.
If you believe those power index numbers MN should not bother showing up next fall.
I don’t believe the numbers dictate everything or even anything

I’m just saying the fpi formula wasn’t changed because “Fickell”
I am 99.9% sure their preseason fpi formula is the same thing they always do.

I am one of the most anti-efficiency metrics on the hoops board. We talk about them less in the football board.

PJ has drawn a line in the sand and said NO MORE! Wisconsin had a long streak going...PJ drew a line in the sand and said the AXE stays on the Minnesota side of the line...our streak keeping it that way is 2 and counting.
What about Iowa?

What about Iowa?
We try reeeally hard! On a serious note … I think we might be due there too!
To date we have been bullied… sometimes it takes longer to prove to yourself … hey, we really can beat these guys.
This is the year we start our Iowa streak.

We try reeeally hard! On a serious note … I think we might be due there too!
To date we have been bullied… sometimes it takes longer to prove to yourself … hey, we really can beat these guys.
This is the year we start our Iowa streak.

I agree. All streaks come to an end eventually. Just ask Wisconsin.

One point: it really can't be said that the Hawkeyes "bullied" the Gophers in '22. Minnesota bullied them. Pushed them around. Mo ran over and through their vaunted defense. Minnesota ran 50 times for 312 yards. Iowa ran 28 times for 59 yards. The game was one-sided in favor of Minnesota in total yards and time of possession.

We'll get 'em. It's coming.

Last edited:

Whoah, now. I haven't made any judgements about you at all. Settle down, big guy. Calm yourself.

It sounds as though we have quite a few Gopher fans who are convinced that the Wisconsin program is superior to our own, and that the new media darling Sconnie coach is "the bomb". Do the kids still use that expression?

The fact that so many of the maroon & gold faithful are openly envious of the Badger program is a bit of a surprise, to me at least. I had no idea.
Is the Iowa program superior to the gophers?

Is the Iowa program superior to the gophers?

I would say "no", but with the caveat that I'm aware I'm biased. I'll give my reasons (not that it will matter)...

— Younger leadership that connects well with this generation of players. Ferentz and staff are on a retirement time clock that can't be put off forever. It's clear now that Ferentz the Younger will not succeed his father. At least, Iowa fans hope he doesn't.

— Which segues in to: the Gopher staff is not hampered by nepotism.

— The on-field product at Iowa no longer appears to be clearly superior. I understand that they have a current and fairly long win streak against Minnesota, but that streak looks (to my eyes) to be in serious jeopardy, a la Wisconsin's streak from years ago.

— I really believe Minnesota has at least narrowed the gap on Iowa in recruiting. Under Fleck, Minnesota seems to have become competitive with the Hawkeyes in this area.

Last edited:

I would say "no", but with the caveat that I'm aware I'm biased. I'll give my reasons (not that it will matter)...

— Younger leadership that connects well with this generation of players. Ferentz and staff are on a retirement time clock that can't be put off forever. It's clear now that Ferentz the Younger will not succeed his father. At least, Iowa fans hope he doesn't.

— Which segues in to: the Gopher staff is not hampered by nepotism.

— The on-field product at Iowa no longer appears to be clearly superior. I understand that they have a current and fairly long win streak against Minnesota, but that streak looks (to my eyes) to be in serious jeopardy, a la Wisconsin's streak from years ago.

— I really believe Minnesota has at least narrowed the gap on Iowa in recruiting. Under Fleck, Minnesota seems to have become competitive with the Hawkeyes in this area.
Fair response, but MN is superior to Wisconsin in your eyes, correct?

Fair response, but MN is superior to Wisconsin in your eyes, correct?

In my opinion, Minnesota has had the upper hand against Wisconsin over the course of the last 5 seasons. Not just because Minnesota has beaten Wisconsin head-to-head 3 of 5, but in overall coaching and on-field talent as well.

And now, in response to that new reality, Wisconsin has decided to make some pretty dramatic changes. Have the Badgers pushed the panic button?

They have brought in a new coaching staff that is not of the Alvarez line, which was their long-time model and akin to the Fry-Ferentz tradition at Iowa. And the Badgers even seem to have changed their overall football philosophy: no longer will it be huge, corn-fed Midwestern offensive linemen leading a powerful, smash-mouth run-first offense. Will the new-look Badgers be as successful over time as the the long run of the Alvarez-era Badgers? Time will tell. But meanwhile, Minnesota appears to me to have found a very sustainable, successful groove of our own under young, energetic P.J. Fleck.

And Purdue and Nebraska are also undergoing major changes.

I really like the Gophers' situation.

Last edited:

In my opinion, Minnesota has had the upper hand against Wisconsin over the course of the last 5 seasons. Not just because Minnesota has beaten Wisconsin head-to-head 3 of 5, but in overall coaching and on-field talent as well.

And now, in response to that new reality, Wisconsin has decided to make some pretty dramatic changes. Have the Badgers pushed the panic button?

They have brought in a new coaching staff that is not of the Alvarez line, which was their long-time model and akin to the Fry-Ferentz tradition at Iowa. And the Badgers even seem to have changed their overall football philosophy: no longer will it be huge, corn-fed Midwestern offensive linemen leading a powerful, smash-mouth run-first offense. Will the new-look Badgers be as successful over time as the the long run of the Alvarez-era Badgers? Time will tell. But meanwhile, Minnesota appears to me to have found a very sustainable, successful groove of our own under young, energetic P.J. Fleck.

And Purdue and Nebraska are also undergoing major changes.

I really like the Gophers' situation.
I like Fleck and think he’s a good coach. He’s the best the gophers have had in a long time. He’s created a sustainable model that has been consistent and good for a number of years.

Top Bottom