Just when I think I've seen crazy opinions on this board...

gopherfaith

Reaction score
I come across this in the editorial section in the Strib yesterday. Okay dude, whatever.

"The thrill of experiencing University of Minnesota football back on campus at its new TCF Bank Stadium has given college football fans goosebumps this season. Unfortunately, it is hard to enjoy your environment when your body is uncomfortable; as many of us experienced at the game against Purdue on Oct. 10.

While it is apparent that catering to the wealthy up in their enclosed, heated suites is valued by the university's administration, ignoring the necessities of a majority of the fan base seated in their exposed seating is unwise and shortsighted.

Below 40 degrees, the stadium is a cold place( brrrr!). There are no places to warm up, other than bathroom areas where traffic needs to flow, not be clogged with fans trying to find some heat. Space heaters strategically placed throughout the concourse would accommodate most fans, especially the young children who will one day be bringing their kids to games at the stadium.

One other suggestion: more mini-donut stands, please!"

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/64048947.html?elr=KArksc8P:Pc:UthPacyPE7iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Maybe instead of space heaters we could recommend large barrels and get some raging bonfires going for people to huddle around! We could cook our own mini-donuts over them. :cool:

Has anyone ever been to a college stadium with space heaters in the concourse? Also, is the STrib planning to sponsor the space heaters to pay for them? :rolleyes:

I think it was too cold to play football outside last weekend. Maybe we should look into playing indoors somewhere.

I think it was too cold to play football outside last weekend. Maybe we should look into playing indoors somewhere.

If only they built stadiums with roofs. That'd be sweet wouldn't it?

You live in Minnesota. What were you expecting?

Adding space heaters could help bring to fruition the concept of running around on Saturdays like our hair's on fire.

At least it's just a fan and not an actual writer for the Trib, but that was still pretty stupid. I thought Minnesotans loved the cold?

...Space heaters strategically placed throughout the concourse would accommodate most fans, especially the young children who will one day be bringing their kids to games at the stadium.

One other suggestion: more mini-donut stands, please!"

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/64048947.html?elr=KArksc8P:Pc:UthPacyPE7iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Maybe instead of space heaters we could recommend large barrels and get some raging bonfires going for people to huddle around! We could cook our own mini-donuts over them. :cool:

Has anyone ever been to a college stadium with space heaters in the concourse? Also, is the STrib planning to sponsor the space heaters to pay for them? :rolleyes:

You live in Minnesota. What were you expecting?

Minnesotans: Pi$$ing and moaning since 1858.

Can you imagine the first time someone got burned or sweated too much or went blind from the infrared light??? They'd shut the place down.

Sign at the borders: "Welcome to Minnesota. You need treatment."

it will only work if it's a multi-tenant facility -- like us, the Twins & Vikings.

we're probably 30 years ahead od ourselves.

ITT: Minnesotans complaining about Minnesotans.

I <3 irony.

ITT: Minnesotans complaining about Minnesotans.

I <3 irony.

Minnesotans complaining about Minnesotans complaining about Minnesotans.

"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" - Lt. Frank Drebben, Police Squad

Get a cup of Hot Chocolate before the game starts and at Halftime, problem solved........

My son and I were in the top row (208) and it felt fine. BTW: 208 is in the sun. I would not trade this experience for anything. Tell 'em to grow a pair ;-)

Minnesotans complaining about Non-Minnesotans complaining about Minnesotans.

"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" - Lt. Frank Drebben, Police Squad

There is a lot of trying too hard in this post.

No complaints registered in my post, just a summary, and a statement of what I like.

I wasn't cold AT ALL during the game despite sitting in the shadows and not even wearing a winter coat or long underwear. I was wearing jeans, a tshirt, long sleeve T, sweatshirt, and a quilted vest. I never once felt cold during the game and I felt like it was a bit of a silver lining that we all got a feel for what a November game will be like... in early October. I am not worried at all about weather at the stadium. I have been going to outdoor football games in October and November for years but somehow found myself wondering what it would be like in the new stadium. No surprise: it is no big deal.

Now, that being said I could see them adding some of those heaters you see on bar&grill patios or even private decks. I would think it would be cheap and they would make sense placed above condiment areas, etc. Certainly not required but it might be a nice touch.

I had plenty to drink before and during the Purdue game so I found myself heading to the bathroom more than normal. I really felt bad for one group who had apparently brought their grandpa (or other elder) to the game in a wheel chair. He must have been cold because he spent almost the entire game in the bathroom entryway under the heater. I felt bad for him and I also felt bad for the people who brought him because I saw them several times in there grouped around the guy... all wearing long faces.

$10 says its 70 degrees during the MSU game and everyone is wearing shorts. This weather is crazy.

You will hardly ever go to a game colder than the one we just had last Saturday. It rarely dips below 30 during football season. You MIGHT see a couple 20° games near the end of November, but it's not like the entire second half of our season will be below freezing on a regular basis. The normal right now is supposed to be 60° and it's supposed to be 55° this Saturday around here.

Wouldn't surprise me to see something close to 70 for the Halloween game at all Sam lol. That's how it works around here.

This is sad. The CFL has been playing outdoor football into November for ever. The problem of keeping players warm occassionally pops up but the ideas of fans being cold never comes into play.

The Gophers need to embrace cold weather football not shy away from it.

Why, oh, why won't someone invent clothing that can be used to keep warm in cold weather!

Wear long johns. Wear warm socks. Wear a warm sweater and a knit cap. You might not need them, but bring along some warm gloves. You'll be just fine. If you need a little more warmth, get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Dress for the weather.

Some of these people seem to have forgotten that domed stadiums are not the norm, and have forgotten the other northern teams play outdoors. Or they have so bought into the insanity of the idea that the weather in Minneapolis is incredibly colder than that in other northern states. It may be a little colder, but not much.

If this game were played in the Metrodome, it would be warmer, yes. But it would be like playing in a tomb.

When the Vikes played at the Met, they NEVER sold out playoff games. Pillsbury had to buy the tix so they could be on TV

Whiners like Joe Soucheray, who hated indoor baseball, will NOT go to Twins games in October when the temp is below 50. All he would talk about is how he loved being outside. There will be a hue and cry for roofs all over the place.

This is sad. The CFL has been playing outdoor football into November for ever. The problem of keeping players warm occassionally pops up but the ideas of fans being cold never comes into play.

The Gophers need to embrace cold weather football not shy away from it.

Beautifully stated. You would figure growing up our entire lives in the state we would have at least some sort of tolerance built up against the cold, or at least have enough ba!!s to deal with it for a few hours. I'd be willing to bet the people complaining about the cold are the same people complaining about people standing up from their chairs in front of them. Stop sitting on your hands to keep warm, and start clapping and yelling, two birds with one stone.

Top Bottom