Just as it should be

bga1

Reaction score
I hated the result but this was richly earned. We got out played out coached and out hustled and our players showed little class in the process. Hats off to Joseph, Sampson and Carter for playing well but this was otherwise abysmal.

This is true. Tubby was completely out-coached today. A team ready to play would have beaten IND easily.

We were completely out-played. We did poorly in every facet. we made a game of it, but in the end our flaws continued - poor free throw %, poor rebounding, poor shooting.

I agree it looks like the NIT or CBI for this team. We are nothing more than a middling Big Ten team and I for one expected a lot more in Tubby Smiths 3rd year. Our two senior "leaders" (Westbrook and Johnson, bostick played 8 minutes) combined for 11 points 1 rebound, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover, 1 technical. I worry for next year, to me the biggest thing we lack is another powerful rebounder. I know Ralph played well on the offensive end however, he stood flat footed and tried to out reach players for rebounds. I know we all can say what might have been if we had the two guys sitting out. Ultimately these two would help but they are not here and they are guys that Tubby recruited knowing that both had baggage in their pasts. We need a guy that goes up and grabs a rebound with two hands and screams and knocks guys to the floor and we simply do not have that, and I am not certain we ever will. Next year we have a self admitted project and a guard coming in.

And (I know, I know...Don't encourage him, but I can't help it) what exactly don't we get?

While Haugy is being emotional, it's obvious that HE understands. You guys that think refs mean nothing to a game just don't understand the extremely important concepts of scoring position, momentum, and statistics. Your lack of logic also cannot explain the severe difference between a Big Ten team's home and away record. There are only two factors that can explain it - (1) officiating, and (2) the crowd/familiarity. Take your choice as to which is more important, but certainly factor (2) cannot possibly be as big as you people insinuate that it is.

While Haugy is being emotional, it's obvious that HE understands. You guys that think refs mean nothing to a game just don't understand the extremely important concepts of scoring position, momentum, and statistics. Your lack of logic also cannot explain the severe difference between a Big Ten team's home and away record. There are only two factors that can explain it - (1) officiating, and (2) the crowd/familiarity. Take your choice as to which is more important, but certainly factor (2) cannot possibly be as big as you people insinuate that it is.

Please re-read the first post in this thread and tell me where bga wrote that the ref's weren't bad? Everyone knows they were bad. The topic had nothing to do with the ref's. I never wrote that they weren't bad, so what don't we get again? All I wrote about was how Haugy needs to ease up. Maybe try and stick to the topic.

Please re-read the first post in this thread and tell me where bga wrote that the ref's weren't bad? Everyone knows they were bad. The topic had nothing to do with the ref's. I never wrote that they weren't bad, so what don't we get again? All I wrote about was how Haugy needs to ease up. Maybe try and stick to the topic.

True - my problem is that everyone puts in this ridiculous caveat "we didn't deserve to win so the loss was correct. NO. IT IS NOT. The Gophers outplayed Indiana, even if they stunk. And the Gophers should have won that game, if Jones didn't go to the line for questionable s___ the whole game through. Indiana could never have built that 15-point lead without awful calls being made. The Gophers could never have lost that 5-point overtime lead without awful calls being made (and non-calls not being made on the other end). The refs DID decide the game, and there's no getting around it. So MY point is, Haugy gets it. The refs CAN and DO decide games, and no caveats are necessary.

And, frankly, I wish someone with the passion of Haugy would get involved to change the s___ that Big Ten road team fans have to put up with on a weekly basis. Something needs to be done. The first time that a Big Ten official gets punch in his fatass face will be richly deserved and a long time in coming. And I won't be criticizing that player/coach/fan.

This year will always be the "what could have been"...if we have trev and royce as we thought we would've had, this season would be so much different, but that isn't the case so we have to do with what we have, which still is a solid team...

Refs

Every road team in every major conference gets some calls against them. The Gophers will beat Mich State saturday and remember that when they get the calls. Good luck on your crusade against the officiating!

Gophers win saturday.. Blame the refs for today??? I guess the refs werent boxing out your right and I guess the refs missed all those free throws, give it up folks only people are use to losing and are looking for excuses blame refs....

This year will always be the "what could have been"...if we have trev and royce as we thought we would've had, this season would be so much different, but that isn't the case so we have to do with what we have, which still is a solid team...

+1

Top Bottom