Junior College recruits for 2010

EG#9

Reaction score
I feel like this needs to be asked: Do you think the "U" has put some sort of restrictions on Brewster bringing in JUCO's? Complete speculation but it seems like Traye Simmons and Hayo Carpenter had some difficulty getting in to school and Tim McGee and Taikwon Paige couldn't make it in at all. Finally Brock couldn't make it academically after his first year on campus. I am wondering if admissions basically said "no more JUCO's" or if Maturi/someone higher up might have said something?

As far as I can tell, this team could really use some Junior College players on defense for 2010 and possibly at RB as well. I think you could make a case that a good Junior College player would have a great shot to start for the Gophers next year anywhere on defense except possibly DT (Kirksey and Edwards).

It could be as simple as their not being many JUCO's that fit our needs this year or Brewster changing his recruiting strategy after getting very little out of Rex Sharpe and David Pittman.

That said, it would seem like Minnesota would be an attractive spot for JUCO's, especially when the staff can point to the immediate playing time of Simmons, Brock, McKinley, Wills, etc. It would also seem like Brewster would want to fill holes going in to next year for his own job security.

I'm not sure outside of a DB we can really use a JUCO. They are really for holes in the depth. We have depth we're just short proven starters. I think a backup sophmore who has been playing behind a senior starter will trump a JUCO. So although we are losing seniors, depth wise we continue to improve thus no need fo a JUCO. The only exception as I've said is at the DB spot.

Is Roszell Gayden still on the radar for us? I've seen him listed as a "possible" on several of the recruiting sites, but I thought I read in here a couple months ago on a post that the Gophers were no longer recruiting him.

I'm fine with Juco guys as long as they aren't advertised as "athletes". We don't have much luck when guys don't have a true position imo.

I have to think that Maturi, etc. have been in Brews ear about the fact so many Jucos have had issues with grades.

I think a big part of it is that depthwise we are in a better position than we were the last two years. Juco's supplement previous classes when a team didn't recruit well. We had some gaping holes where we didn't have Big Ten ready starters due to poor recruiting & retention from 2005-07. Our team should have more depth of talent in 2010 than what we had the last few years. Some of the depth will be young but the athleticism you see on special teams right now is the future of our defense.

I was wondering the same thing about bringing in some JUCO guys on D. It seems like there isn't much potential to start, but the depth issue has to be brought up. We really only have 2 proven DT's for next season, but all we have behind them is some rFR. I would also think there is going to be an oportunity for a JUCO guy to come in and take the RDE and CB spots in place of Mck and BPT. I just don't see anyone that would be ready to come in and start...that is unless you wanna see Collado out there. Not as much room on the offensive side though...the only perfect fit I could see is if Henderson decides to head out state then Gayden stepping right into the LT spot.

I was wondering the same thing about bringing in some JUCO guys on D. It seems like there isn't much potential to start, but the depth issue has to be brought up. We really only have 2 proven DT's for next season, but all we have behind them is some rFR. I would also think there is going to be an oportunity for a JUCO guy to come in and take the RDE and CB spots in place of Mck and BPT. I just don't see anyone that would be ready to come in and start...that is unless you wanna see Collado out there. Not as much room on the offensive side though...the only perfect fit I could see is if Henderson decides to head out state then Gayden stepping right into the LT spot.

Wilhite, Garin, and KGM will compete for the WDE position vacated by McKinley. That isn't a bad rotation and we just have to hope somebody emerges from the pack.

Edwards is the heir apparent at Nose Tackle. I have no idea of their plans for Searcy (if he qualifies and shows up in January) or Jacques but one could fit here. Otherwise a freshman could fit in here. Beau Allen would be ready to play in the two-deep from day one if he commits and Doral Willis also would be a fit for NT but I'm not sure if he is ready to play or would require a redshirt.

Kirksey is the heir apparent for 3-technique DT. Jacques or Searcy could fit here but like I said in the NT paragraph I'm not sure which DT position either would be asked to fill.

Jacobs would seem to be the obvious choice for SDE but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up moving inside to the 3-technique DT position. For Jacobs to move inside someone like Hageman would have to be ready to start at SDE. It seems optimistic to believe that KGM or Wilhite would pack on enough lbs to play SDE but that isn't out of the question.

What I really like about next year's defense is the athleticism we will have in the 3-4. On the DL we could have Edwards at NT and Kirksey and Jacobs at the DE positions with Garin, Cooper, Tinsley and Reeves/Maresh/Singleton at LB in the 3-4 which I think would look pretty nasty with a good size/speed combo.

CB is my greatest worry for next year and the most glaring position for Juco help.

Wilhite, Garin, and KGM will compete for the WDE position vacated by McKinley. That isn't a bad rotation and we just have to hope somebody emerges from the pack.

Edwards is the heir apparent at Nose Tackle. I have no idea of their plans for Searcy (if he qualifies and shows up in January) or Jacques but one could fit here. Otherwise a freshman could fit in here. Beau Allen would be ready to play in the two-deep from day one if he commits and Doral Willis also would be a fit for NT but I'm not sure if he is ready to play or would require a redshirt.

Kirksey is the heir apparent for 3-technique DT. Jacques or Searcy could fit here but like I said in the NT paragraph I'm not sure which DT position either would be asked to fill.

Jacobs would seem to be the obvious choice for SDE but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up moving inside to the 3-technique DT position. For Jacobs to move inside someone like Hageman would have to be ready to start at SDE. It seems optimistic to believe that KGM or Wilhite would pack on enough lbs to play SDE but that isn't out of the question.

What I really like about next year's defense is the athleticism we will have in the 3-4. On the DL we could have Edwards at NT and Kirksey and Jacobs at the DE positions with Garin, Cooper, Tinsley and Reeves/Maresh/Singleton at LB in the 3-4 which I think would look pretty nasty with a good size/speed combo.

CB is my greatest worry for next year and the most glaring position for Juco help.

Like I said...the starting DT's are set for next season with Edwards and Kirksey. Only one person behind them that MIGHT be ready to play is REDSHIRT FRESHMAN Jacques...there IS room here for a solid JC player to get significant playing time next year. Brew just needs to find that one JC guy who is ready to come in in Jan and be with the team through spring...I personally think this is very important for JC players if they want to play their first year with the team.

I personally don't think Beau would be a better player playing as a true freshman vs. a JC player next season...maybe when Beau get's a couple years older and has time to develop his body and game will he be vastly superior to that JC player at that time....but saying that he will be in the 2 deep is a pretty bold statement in my opinion. And with you saying that, it is fair to assume that you believe Beau (who is nowhere close to committed to the Gophers by the way) would be a better player in his true FR year than a solid JC player in his rSO or JR year. Just like a lot of guys arguments about offensive linemen, you need time to grow and get strong to be able to play in the B10. This mentality holds true for DT's also, and Beau would Deffinitley benefit from redshirting for a year...I don't think that we have brought in a player yet that wouldn't have benefited from a RS year....NOT THAT THEY CAN'T OR COULDN'T PLAY AS TRUE FRESHMEN....but that it wouldn't be TRULY beneficial for that player to redshirt vs playing his true FR year.

I forgot about Wilhite...he should step in and do a solid job on the right side. He has shown some nice flashes and I think he will get a little more time as the season goes on...but that's not saying that Garin and KGM are ready to step in and make a significant contribution next year. Garin needs to add SIGNIFICANT weight and with KGM only being 240 something, he will probably only be a situational pass-rusher until he can get bigger and hold up against the run better. I do not see a viable backup for Jacobs next season that will be able to hold up against the run, and as of RIGHT NOW, Hageman is still listed at TE. There is room for a JC player to come in and get plenty of playing time next season behind Jacobs and Wilhite and be able to provide better depth than Garin and KGM while they are in there rFR years. Jacobs should stay at DE in my opinion...he is starting to come on more and more as the weeks go by and as one coach put it (who?) "why would you take a star out of position?"

The bottom line here is this, there is definitley room to add a couple JC players on the DL and a CB in the secondary. Bringing in 3 solid JC guys would do wonders for the depth of next seasons squad and would be the final step in solidifying a nice flow through the ranks so Brew wouldn't have to rely on bringing in JC players anymore.

Remember last falll when everyone here thought Hageman would walk right in and start????? He was a good advanced HS player. But not at this level. Don't expect a true Fr. to help in either line.

can anyone else think of bigger disappointments then Hayo and Pittman?

can anyone else think of bigger disappointments then Hayo and Pittman?

I'm still holding out a little hope for Hayo...but yeah, it doesn't look good.

Hayo has an entire full year left, let alone the rest of the games this year. Lets give him a break. Its not like any reciever other than Decker has been great. Green has been good when given a chance to catch the ball. I am not gonna bash Weber but i think with better QB play, Hayo would have a bigger impact. They just need to find a way to get the ball to him more. I am not giving up on him, and I honestly think he can have an impact at WR in the next 1 1/2 years he has left. Multiple guys are going to have to step up and make up for the production that Decker produces, and I think he has to be one of those guys. I think the Green, Staudamire, Hayo, Allen combo can be productive plus whoever eles steps up. I think that will be the fastest 3 WR's we have had in some time, even though Green is not really a burner. And Pittman was a QB at JUCO so its not fair to really compare the two right at this point.

And back to the topic, I think brining in a JUCO CB is almost a must. I know we have some coming in, but I dont see them steping in to start at CB as a true frosh. I really am not looking forward to seeing Collado starting every game for us next year. I have no problem with him being the Nickel back, but him starting and it could be another long year for the defensive secondary. It could remind me a lot of the Mason regime.

Hayo's speed? He was run down by a Wisky DE!!!! I know, I know, he was finding his lane after catching the pass but this made me wonder.

Hayo is following the normal Juco development track. Not sure why everyone is so hard on him. You normally only get one productive year out of these guys. First year they are just adjusting to Big 10 football. It's quite an exceptional guy who can step right in and start in the Big 10.

Hayo's speed? He was run down by a Wisky DE!!!! I know, I know, he was finding his lane after catching the pass but this made me wonder.

You seem to realize that he was being patient with his blocking (and therefore not sprinting) so why would you even question his speed based upon a play where he isn't sprinting?

At the same time Hayo is clearly NOT as fast as advertised. However, Troy Stoudemire is one of the fastest players in the conference so at least the Gophers have that much going for them. Now they have to find a way to utilize him more in the passing game, and not just as a dynamic kick returner.

Also, let's see some more Bryant Allen' He's got speed to burn

It seems like Hayo is holding onto his two deep spot. He can't be that bad. It's tough to see the field ahead of Decker, stoudemire, and Green. That's a pretty good trio. Now if we could just take advantage.

At the same time Hayo is clearly NOT as fast as advertised. However, Troy Stoudemire is one of the fastest players in the conference so at least the Gophers have that much going for them. Now they have to find a way to utilize him more in the passing game, and not just as a dynamic kick returner.

Also, let's see some more Bryant Allen' He's got speed to burn

Do you want to bet whether Hayo would beat Troy Stoudermire in a race?

Hayo wasn't sprinting when he got caught, he was setting up a block in front of him. Troy Stoudermire is quicker than he is fast. That is what makes him great at breaking long runs on his returns but he can't outrun people that have an angle on him.

Do you want to bet whether Hayo would beat Troy Stoudermire in a race?

Hayo wasn't sprinting when he got caught, he was setting up a block in front of him. Troy Stoudermire is quicker than he is fast. That is what makes him great at breaking long runs on his returns but he can't outrun people that have an angle on him.

Not sure if you listen to KFAN, but Conzemius was on yesterday and said that the staff was shocked that the speed Carpenter appeared to have on film was not legit. He is simply not as fast as they thought.

I have no idea why he would have any reason to make that up, so that could be a reason why he has not played as much as people had hoped.

Junior College is a tough way to go to build a program. Usually, by the time the guy gets acclimated, they are gone. Or they don't make it academically or their skills don't translate well to big time college football.

The good ones usually are placed at a JC by a school that was recruiting them and wind up at that school.

Not the way to build a program for any long term success.

Not the way to build a program for any long term success.

I think we're all in agreement there. But this program has one more year of transition (IMHO) and that's exactly where the jucos can help. It does look like we're gonna need some stopgaps in a couple of spots while some of the kids Brew has recruited grow into their roles.

Top Bottom