June Jones at SMU

Donovan

Reaction score
I DVR'd the SMU/Nevada game, and finally watched it this evening. Their QB was quite impressive, and another example of star ratings not always meaning a lot (2 star from 2009 class). For us old-timers, it's fun to see SMU back in the mix. I wonder how long June Jones will stay at SMU, before getting another offer after a second nice program turn around.

I DVR'd the SMU/Nevada game, and finally watched it this evening. Their QB was quite impressive, and another example of star ratings not always meaning a lot (2 star from 2009 class). For us old-timers, it's fun to see SMU back in the mix. I wonder how long June Jones will stay at SMU, before getting another offer after a second nice program turn around.

That's not really an example of the star ratings not meaning a lot, it's more of an example of a system meaning a lot. Colt Brennan and Tommy Chang at Hawaii put up huge numbers too, but weren't necessarily as great QBs. See also Texas Tech. If you put those guys in our offense this year you probably wouldn't see much difference from Weber.

who cares if they are system quarterbacks, IF they wins NO ONE CARES. We run a "pro style Offense" and can't win or score. SO WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

who cares if they are system quarterbacks, IF they wins NO ONE CARES. We run a "pro style Offense" and can't win or score. SO WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

I agree with you, I'd love to have a system here where we had an effective offense regardless of who was the QB, but that's not the point the original poster was trying to make.

It's about the QB's long term development, and the long term goals of the program.
Watch Georgia-Hawaii a few years back in Hawaii's BCS bowl game. If you want a shot at beating good teams, you need to have an offense based on something other than a 1 read and run/throw spread. All the spread teams that have had success can run the ball, and do so with big time effectiveness. Their Qb's are system Qb's and when the system breaks down due to playing a better team the QB is ineffective.

Our offense this year was not very efficient either, but you could see flashes and plays where down the road with better execution and better athletes we can wear down a team.
It's hard to remember and look on the bright side for some people around here, but we had our way with Purdue and NW running the ball, and we had our way with MSU throwing the ball. All those games showed what this offense can be when things click. We did score in those games and we did win 6 games this year. I swear some people act like we lost every game we were in this year.

It's about the QB's long term development, and the long term goals of the program.
Watch Georgia-Hawaii a few years back in Hawaii's BCS bowl game. If you want a shot at beating good teams, you need to have an offense based on something other than a 1 read and run/throw spread. All the spread teams that have had success can run the ball, and do so with big time effectiveness. Their Qb's are system Qb's and when the system breaks down due to playing a better team the QB is ineffective.

Our offense this year was not very efficient either, but you could see flashes and plays where down the road with better execution and better athletes we can wear down a team.
It's hard to remember and look on the bright side for some people around here, but we had our way with Purdue and NW running the ball, and we had our way with MSU throwing the ball. All those games showed what this offense can be when things click. We did score in those games and we did win 6 games this year. I swear some people act like we lost every game we were in this year.

Thank you. Happy New Year!

If that is true, THEN you must also admit that the SDSU, IOWA, Penn State, TOHSU, games are examples of what happens when our offense doesn't click, SPECIFICALLY THE SDSU GAME. A good offensive system no matter what should NEVER EVER not score against a team like SDSU.

If that is true, THEN you must also admit that the SDSU, IOWA, Penn State, TOHSU, games are examples of what happens when our offense doesn't click, SPECIFICALLY THE SDSU GAME. A good offensive system no matter what should NEVER EVER not score against a team like SDSU.

Yep, you are right. Most specifically in all those games we were beat up front. The SDSU game the Oline was pathetic, I hope Coach Davis took them to the woodshed after that game, like I took my liver to the woodshed that night.
The Iowa, Penn State, and OSU games pitted serious college football defensive front 7 players against our very overmatched Oline. An offensive system doesn't mean jack if you can;t block the guys in front of you. It was a problem all year and when we did block well, our offensive performance was good.
Again, the SDSU game was pathetic, and it had nothing to do with the offensive system, it was plain and simply a lackluster performance up front. Their Dline and linebackers outplayed our Oline, TE's and RB's. Give credit where credit is due, then make the offense run wind sprints until they puke.

Yep, you are right. Most specifically in all those games we were beat up front. The SDSU game the Oline was pathetic, I hope Coach Davis took them to the woodshed after that game, like I took my liver to the woodshed that night.
The Iowa, Penn State, and OSU games pitted serious college football defensive front 7 players against our very overmatched Oline. An offensive system doesn't mean jack if you can;t block the guys in front of you. It was a problem all year and when we did block well, our offensive performance was good.
Again, the SDSU game was pathetic, and it had nothing to do with the offensive system, it was plain and simply a lackluster performance up front. Their Dline and linebackers outplayed our Oline, TE's and RB's. Give credit where credit is due, then make the offense run wind sprints until they puke.

If our O line is that bad then Brewster should have one more year to turn it around. I like him as a recruiter, but you have to be held accountable for your actions. And his biggest action to date was to fire Mason's O line coach for no reason.

Top Bottom