Jumping to conclusions

benlaur

Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding how people can jump to anyone's defense without having a full set of facts. I fashion myself as a pretty smart person, but for the life of me, I cannot make conclusive determinations without having a fuller set of facts and without seeing all the evidence.

From my perspective, there is little doubt in my mind that the administration has done a poor job with transparency related to this case. All parties involved deserve to be treated fairly and justly. There seems to be too much confusion related to this incident.

At minimum, there appears to be poor judgement from **all** parties involved in the incident. Beyond that, I am surprised at how many conclusions can be jumped to without knowing more.

That stated, all the males involved in the incident should have been 100% certain this was consensual and if there was any doubt or confusion about the 100%, it was wrong. If it was 100% consensual, I still see poor judgment; but it would become a teachable moment rather then expulsions and suspensions (unless policy was violated -- again I do not know all the facts or the full story for that matter). I don't care about the colors of the people involved, religious background or personal beliefs. I care about right and wrong.

Considering there was a similar incident on the basketball team, it seems like the U needs to do a better job informing their student athletes about choices. Just because you can do something, does not mean you should do something. Why put yourself in that position? Why take the chance? If this were my team, you would be making good choices on the field/court and away off it or you would not be playing for me (Period). I would rather lose with winners than win with losers, but the best is winning with winners...it is possible.

As it stands, there are no "winners" in this incident. The University looks inept, the players have their names damaged (at minimum) and the woman felt violated (at minimum). No winners and various degrees of losing. Think about how better this would be if better judgement would have occurred. The university would be in a better position, 10 names would not be damaged and no one would feel violated and all would be a much happier. Life is difficult enough without poor judgement...

Top Bottom