Julian Welch looks legit to me

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
Anyone seen the vids of him? He's got a pretty wicked crossover. He's gonna break some ankles of defenders in the Big Ten next year if he comes here. He can shoot too. Kinda has that Talor Battle game in him. Welch and Andre Hollins would be a nice tango in the 1/2 spot.

Maybe

Always concerned about JUCO's and highlight videos are just that, but I like many things about him.

He was the freshman of the year at UC-Davis. The "best" Freshman in any conference has to have some talent, and is certainly a welcome addition to this squad. Also, I'm of the opinion that we absolutely need to get a juco PG. Also, he can shoot, something we need. Hollins and him would at a minimum be two G's who could make a jump shot.

If he can handle the ball and be a threat to make an open jumper, sign him up.

Agreed. He looks like a talented kid.

Only concern I have is in most of his highlight videos he is not the one bringing the ball up. Hope he can play PG right away for us.

If the kid can dribble without losing control of the ball...he would be starting right now.

Each year there are 3 players awarded NJCAA Player of the Year honors.

2010: Jae Crowder of Howard College (Texas), Brian Word of Brown Mackie College (Kan.), and Brian Bradley of Joliet Junior College (Ill.).

2009: Casey Mitchell of Chipola College (Fla.), Nafis Ricks of Johnson County Community College (Kan.) and Tony Bishop of Richland College (Texas).

Save yourself some frustration and temper your expectations.

Each year there are 3 players awarded NJCAA Player of the Year honors.

2010: Jae Crowder of Howard College (Texas), Brian Word of Brown Mackie College (Kan.), and Brian Bradley of Joliet Junior College (Ill.).

2009: Casey Mitchell of Chipola College (Fla.), Nafis Ricks of Johnson County Community College (Kan.) and Tony Bishop of Richland College (Texas).

Save yourself some frustration and temper your expectations.

To be fair Mitchell and Crowder turned out to be pretty good D1 players. And I think Welch could be a lot safer given he has had success at the D1 level even though it was the Big West.

Tony Bishop averaged double figures too. Ricks averaged 9.4 for a missouri state team that is favored to win the MVC.

To be fair Mitchell and Crowder turned out to be pretty good D1 players. And I think Welch could be a lot safer given he has had success at the D1 level even though it was the Big West.

The Big West may literally be the least legit Division I league. It's a transition conference for teams making the jump from Division II.

How refreshing to see a guard shooting a 3 with confidence! :clap:

Looks like a solid player to me - confident shooter, good court vision and some nice handles. We'll see, you never know about these juco guys. But the U has a decent track record with juco guards (Vincent Grier, Kevin Clark and of course Bobby Jackson) so here is hoping. We certainly are due for the basketball Gods to lend us a helping hand...

If the kid can dribble without losing control of the ball...he would be starting right now.

That's a fact Jack. If he can shoot 5% from behind the three point arc he will also be our best shooter next season.

I believe I also read that Welch is a 90% free throw shooter. That would certainly be a nice addition to this team.

90% free throw? He can shoot and dribble? Sign him up!

I've heard that he's kind of a combo guard, so I wouldn't be surprised if he started with Andre and they both kind of switched off at point. Neither would be a true point guard, but having two guys that could both handle the ball would make up for not having a true pg. Plus, both Andre and Julian can shoot AND create their own shot.

Go gophers!

Biggest issue I see from watching a few videos is that he seems to have a pretty slow release. Would love to get him though, if for no other reason than PG depth.

If slow release is biggest issue than I want him. It would be nice to have a guy who can create off dribble for once and has the last shot mentality like LW had. Does anyone know how good of a defender he is? Offensively he sounds very similar to Devoe, but I haven't heard much about him defensively.

Huh? 5% 3-pt FG shooting? Every single Gopher shoots WAY better than that. So will Hollins and Coleman.

You're kidding right? I honestly sometimes think you might be a little slow FOT.

Not to mention, ol' FOT is wrong. Mbakwe, Iverson and Dawson are all at 0.00% 3-pt FG shooting (0 attempts total). Tell us about some of the 0.00% 3-pt FG shooters at Kentucky, FOT. Please?

Not to mention, ol' FOT is wrong. Mbakwe, Iverson and Dawson are all at 0.00% 3-pt FG shooting (0 attempts total). Tell us about some of the 0.00% 3-pt FG shooters at Kentucky, FOT. Please?

You answered your own ? there. Zero attempts means Not A 3-pt FG Shooter.

The Gophers 3-pt FG % (33) this year is higher than your IQ.

I bet there are a lot of NBA teams with 0.00% 3 point shooters too. How many has Dwight Howard taken?

Andre Hollins is certainly a very good shooter from all the game video that has been posted here. Also, I am pretty sure I have read on many occasions that Oto has a pretty decent shot as well.

I think what FOT is saying is that all of them would make more than one out of twenty from beyond the arch. I don't even know what the distance is in high school in Minnesota, but the college 3-point line looks to be about a foot longer than what it is in high school. My guess is that the high school 3-point line varies by state.

Top Bottom