Judge rules against NCAA in Ed O'Bannon case

I don't think it will make any difference. We are already setting up to pay the kids anyway.

As long as the money comes from athletic revenue and not out of the state government or other university resources I'm fine it.

I think the money would come from video game productions. If you use the likeness, pay the trust fund, rather than pocket it or paying the NCAA or schools.

This and the NCAA release of the "Big 5" are both part of the beginning of a major upheaval in college football. We have a situation where a few hundred young men are at risk of major damage to their health in exchange for a college education and, a one chance in a hundred to play professional football. At the same time they are providing a gigantic financial benefit of their school's athletic departments, further millions to the coaching staffs and a free minor league system for the NFL. Everyone with an interest is reaping millions except the young men risking their health.

It's almost impossible to justify the current system within any ethical context. Where this is going to end, I have no idea. But it is changing and in five or ten years it will be interesting to see what it all looks like. $5,000 per student for 85 scholarship athletes is only $425,000 per year. Even doubling this number for other benefits won't be a major issue for most of these institution's football programs. The issue will be what's the drag to the other sports?

Been to busy to make any timely comments until now.

I think all that needs to be said is that the judge recognized the obvious to all those who weren't drinking the "amateur" Kool-aid or willfully burying their heads in the sand.

And more change is coming. The tide has turned. The floodgate is open. This decision will influence the NLRB, the Kessler case, and more cases to come.

Been to busy to make any timely comments until now.

I think all that needs to be said is that the judge recognized the obvious to all those who weren't drinking the "amateur" Kool-aid or willfully burying their heads in the sand.

And more change is coming. The tide has turned. The floodgate is open. This decision will influence the NLRB, the Kessler case, and more cases to come.

The question will be, in the end, does it end up being better for the player. And we likely can't answer that for a good 10 years. It may have been time to make changes for changes sake, but I hope this works out for all in the end. If the NCAA gets sleazier with money being passed around, it won't help anyone. So let's hope it all stays above board.

From the only article I've seen worth reading on this very "curious" ruling:

"Wilken determined that the NCAA and its member schools and conferences are in violation of antitrust law by not letting NCAA members compete to compensate Division I men’s basketball and football players for their name, image and likeness rights (“NIL rights”). "

But:

"Wilken's rationale for a $5,000 cap -- as opposed to a higher dollar number -- was not entirely clear in her opinion. Along those lines, it is not readily apparent why it is unlawful for the NCAA to "collude" to cap at $0, but not at $5,000."

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...udia-wilken-appeal-name-image-likeness-rights

"Wilken determined that the NCAA and its member schools and conferences are in violation of antitrust law by not letting NCAA members compete to compensate Division I men’s basketball and football players for their name, image and likeness rights (“NIL rights”). "

But:

"Wilken's rationale for a $5,000 cap -- as opposed to a higher dollar number -- was not entirely clear in her opinion. Along those lines, it is not readily apparent why it is unlawful for the NCAA to "collude" to cap at $0, but not at $5,000."

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...udia-wilken-appeal-name-image-likeness-rights

Good read. Thanks for posting.

This is going to take quite awhile to sort out, and see how it all evolves.

But:

I'd be more than willing to make a small wager that the cap gets thrown out entirely instead, making things worse from the NCAA's perspective. Either on appeal or in a future case.

Pay the players 40-60k per year and allow them to take endorsements. Remove the requirement to go to class, and remove all scholarships, tutoring, and housing provided by the University. Make football a minor league club affiliated with the Universities, but not a part of the academic fabric of that school. If they also want an education, they can pay for it while they work their "job".

Pay the players 40-60k per year and allow them to take endorsements. Remove the requirement to go to class, and remove all scholarships, tutoring, and housing provided by the University. Make football a minor league club affiliated with the Universities, but not a part of the academic fabric of that school. If they also want an education, they can pay for it while they work their "job".

So what you're saying is the universities should start up and pay for a farm system for the pros. No thanks. At least MLB pays for their own farm system.

Face the facts. If the NBA and NFL had farm systems like MLB we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Personally I'd rather see all the players that will be pros just skip the college game than paying them to go to school.

So what you're saying is the universities should start up and pay for a farm system for the pros. No thanks. At least MLB pays for their own farm system.

Face the facts. If the NBA and NFL had farm systems like MLB we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Personally I'd rather see all the players that will be pros just skip the college game than paying them to go to school.

Bolded agree with 100%

IMHO, this move by the "big 5" conferences for more autonomy is a direct reaction to the O'Bannon case and the move by NWestern to Unionize College FB players.

Look at what the "Big 5" are talking about doing: a stipend to players, more health insurance coverage, making scholarships guaranteed, provisions for players who go pro to complete their educations, etc.

The "Big 5" commissioners aren't stupid. They see the landscape of college sports changing, and they are trying to get out in front of it.

Still, there are a lot of details to be worked out. One big question I have - if the stipend (or payment for use of their likeness) only goes to FB and men's basketball players, what impact does that have on women's sports and non-revenue sports. And, of course, what happens to D1 programs that are not in the "Big 5" - do they try to keep up by providing the same benefits?

NFL wouldn't settle for that.... Nor would the players....

I'd shut the team down first.

Agree. The fact is that many of these kids don't deserve the opportunity to be in college and are only getting in because they're athletes. Do away with that entirely. If you can't spell your name and think you're only in school to go to the pros, go to an established minor league where you belong. Otherwise, let the kids who actually want to go to school and can get into college based on something other than their 40-yard times and ability to hit a jumpshot have the opportunity.

Agree. The fact is that many of these kids don't deserve the opportunity to be in college and are only getting in because they're athletes. Do away with that entirely. If you can't spell your name and think you're only in school to go to the pros, go to an established minor league where you belong. Otherwise, let the kids who actually want to go to school and can get into college based on something other than their 40-yard times and ability to hit a jumpshot have the opportunity.

Chicago and the Ivy League saw the problem and fixed it a long time ago.

And now word from Mark Emmert that the NCAA will appeal the verdict. More proof this guy is clueless.

And now word from Mark Emmert that the NCAA will appeal the verdict. More proof this guy is clueless.

What's important to keep in mind is that the judge eviscerated "amateurism." She did a great job outlining and battering the fraudulent, self-made defense, the definition of which has evolved to fit the needs of the NCAA. The NCAA is on the way out. A couple more lawsuits will eventually strike the final blow. Zimmerman Reed just filed another lawsuit against the NCAA. They're a very good firm who specialize in mass torts. By 2020, I would be shocked if the NCAA even remotely resembles what it looks like today.

This was one woman's opinion on the issue. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. There is a reason for so many split decisions from SCOTUS, (and remember the prior Oklahoma ruling favoring NCAA in regards to anti-trust).

There are tests to determine employee status. It would be a simple matter to make adjustments to meet these legal tests. However, the NCAA seems hellbent on doubling down on helping the ambulance chasers make their case that student athletes are not primarily students.

It's a joke either way. We either pretend alot of these blue chippers are actually college students, or we operate a minor league on behalf of the NFL. The best solution in my eyes (that we are obviously past at this point) would have been to strengthen the academic admittance policies and force the NFL to make a minor league. Oh well.

If this holds we will eventually have total professionalization of the sport and changes most can't imagine right now. It's either/or. There is no in between as far as pay to play. It could take 5-10 years for the inevitable lawsuits to run their course. Blood is in the water and the sharks will never stop. This is the proverbial crack in the dam.

The NCAA is playing Neville Chamberlain in 1938. The money has taken hold of both sides.

Enough metaphors?

Top Bottom