Judd Zulgad: Kill's silence on Gophers' QB situation should speak volumes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

The West Division in the Big Ten appears to be wide open, and the Gophers have an upper-tier defense that doesn't need the offense to put a ton of points on the board to win games. But Minnesota can't win games if the offense provides nothing and that's what it it's doing right now.

How often have the Gophers had a chance to win anything in the Big Ten? They are presented with that opportunity this year and worrying about what might happen in the 2020 season makes no sense. If Kill and his staff have the success they want, the Gophers should have plenty of quarterback options by then.

Kill might think he's being loyal to Leidner but what about his loyalty to the rest of the players who should be given the best chance to win?

The bottom line is that Kill is going to be forced to look at Croft at some point this season. He can either begin doing so Saturday against an opponent from the Mid-American, or he can do it once the Big Ten season has started in the midst of a crucial game.

Kill might not want to discuss it, but he has to know that makes this is an easy choice.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...phers_QB_situation_should_speak_volumes092315

Go Gophers!!

Pretty well summed up.

Jerry not mentioning Mitch in the press conference could just be that he doesn't want to feel like he's calling out a specific player in a bad spot. He clearly doesn't like to do that. Fair enough. I don't need Jerry to mimic my thoughts, not his job.

I'm with Zulgad awesome defense, there is a door open, red-shirting Croft would be nice but it's no sure deal to result in a great QB either. Taking a lost season could be brutal for recruiting, and team spirit. Time to start pulling out the stops, it might not work but you gotta try.

Hard to argue with the column. Opportunity knocks this season and next.

Kill doesn't "have" to do anything. Look, Kill is a D1 coach, and he knows the score. His job is to win games, and in the end, he will do whatever he feels he has to in order to win games. But, with all the griping from fans and the media, it could wind up having the opposite effect. Instead of 'forcing' Kill to make a change at QB, it might in fact cause Kill to resist making a change, because he doesn't want the critics to claim victory, or suggest that they pushed Kill into making a change.

I will go out on a limb and predict that Croft will not play on Saturday. Kill and Limegrover have egos, too - and they may think they can "fix" the offense without having to switch QB's, or pull the redshirt off Croft.

I can't read Kill's mind - but neither can Judd Zulgad. the difference is that Zulgad hosts a radio show, and a QB controversy makes for good radio, so he has an ulterior motive in trying to stir the pot.

Kill doesn't "have" to do anything. Look, Kill is a D1 coach, and he knows the score. His job is to win games, and in the end, he will do whatever he feels he has to in order to win games. But, with all the griping from fans and the media, it could wind up having the opposite effect. Instead of 'forcing' Kill to make a change at QB, it might in fact cause Kill to resist making a change, because he doesn't want the critics to claim victory, or suggest that they pushed Kill into making a change.

I will go out on a limb and predict that Croft will not play on Saturday. Kill and Limegrover have egos, too - and they may think they can "fix" the offense without having to switch QB's, or pull the redshirt off Croft.

I can't read Kill's mind - but neither can Judd Zulgad. the difference is that Zulgad hosts a radio show, and a QB controversy makes for good radio, so he has an ulterior motive in trying to stir the pot.

I would hope that scoring as many touchdowns as Kent State's defense would keep Limegrover's ego from getting too out of control.

I think you're giving fans and the media too much credit. I believe the staff is as immune as possible to that as an influence. JK is stubborn, but if he has to bench a crucial team leader in order to win, he won't be worried about someone claiming they were right. In fact, he'll probably give them (sarcastic?) credit. IMO the staff believes in order to win the West, Mitch has to be the QB. It doesn't all have to come together at once, or be a perfect finished product in the first 4 weeks for us to accomplish that. Big picture: we're 2-1 with major offensive struggles and have had a boatload of injuries. Showing a little progress this week and getting some confidence would be really helpful.

Nonsense. He has been ready to put him in for two weeks, he is mostly trying to stabilize the blocking so he is not thrown into chaos out there. I think he has managed the problem as well as he can w/o actually fixing the fundamental issue.

Nonsense. He has been ready to put him in for two weeks, he is mostly trying to stabilize the blocking so he is not thrown into chaos out there. I think he has managed the problem as well as he can w/o actually fixing the fundamental issue.

I see Leidner as the same, or maybe slightly improved version of what he was last year: a game manager capable of some decent throws but not an outstanding QB. He looked much better last year because he had a decent O line and a consistent run game. With the current O line, a great QB will look average and an average QB will look bad. Leidner has looked bad and in my opinion that isn't because he has personally regressed. I believe any current QB on the Gopher's roster will have similar results behind the current line. Strip away the run game (for mostly the same reason) and the passing O looks even worse. It is hard to make play action a big weapon when the D has been stopping the run. Where would the Gopher's passing game be last season if play action would have been eliminated?

I see Leidner as the same, or maybe slightly improved version of what he was last year: a game manager capable of some decent throws but not an outstanding QB. He looked much better last year because he had a decent O line and a consistent run game. With the current O line, a great QB will look average and an average QB will look bad. Leidner has looked bad and in my opinion that isn't because he has personally regressed. I believe any current QB on the Gopher's roster will have similar results behind the current line. Strip away the run game (for mostly the same reason) and the passing O looks even worse. It is hard to make play action a big weapon when the D has been stopping the run. Where would the Gopher's passing game be last season if play action would have been eliminated?

My thoughts exactly. I'm not opposed to giving Croft a shot but if we can't run the ball or pass protect it's not going to make much difference, even if he is better than Mitch.

Croft will play only if the coaches feel he is ready mentally. How much of the playbook and reads does he have down pat??? I assume much less than Leidner or possibly the other backups. Said that, can he give us a better chance for a win than sticking with Mitch? I don't think so.

Physically? He looks like he could use another year.

Croft will play only if the coaches feel he is ready mentally. How much of the playbook and reads does he have down pat??? I assume much less than Leidner or possibly the other backups. Said that, can he give us a better chance for a win than sticking with Mitch? I don't think so.

Physically? He looks like he could use another year.

After watching last week's offense i would assume everyone has the playbook and reads down pat;)

I recall seeing Cobb make people miss often last year, but he also had close to a million extra yards after contact. Smith and Williams might be excellent running backs, and the line might not be performing as well, and the combination of all of that his really shrinking our offensive production.

I agree with you as well, Mr Schnauzer. Leidner has looked better as a passer this year and the coaches are going to play the best qb on the team.
Souhan, Barrero and Zulgad are offering their opinions but I don't believe they are watching the games closely enough to realize these offensive struggles shouldn't be placed on the QB's shoulders.

I can't read Kill's mind - but neither can Judd Zulgad. the difference is that Zulgad hosts a radio show, and a QB controversy makes for good radio, so he has an ulterior motive in trying to stir the pot.[/QUOTE
I don't think we see Croft play Saturday, not because of negative fan reaction but because I expect Mitch Leidner to play well.

Is it just me or does it seem like we have this same quarterback "controversy" every year? I remember hearing good things from the coaches on Gray, Shortell, Nelson, Leidner, Streveler and now Croft before they ever took a college snap. For the most part, every one has been a disappointment in my eyes. Maybe they finally have a good one in Croft, but it's difficult for me to get excited anymore about the next "great" quarterback that should be starting in place of the current starter. I'm beginning to feel like the coaches are just building their confidence by talking about the good things they are seeing in practice. I'm going to trust that the coaches are playing the quarterback they feel gives them the best chance to win and apparently that is Mitch...

My thoughts exactly. I'm not opposed to giving Croft a shot but if we can't run the ball or pass protect it's not going to make much difference, even if he is better than Mitch.

Yep, Schnauzer articulated it well.

Leidner will be the man

Yep, Schnauzer articulated it well.

Schnauzer did articulate it well. Put RGIII in his prime back there and he won't look much better. When Mitch steps into his throws, he can place the ball beautifully. It's hard to step into your throws when you know you are going to have to dislodge a Defensive End from your backside when the play is done. We have a good offensive line, but without continuity. I think it will be better this week. Why? They are ticked about the coverage they are getting in the media and they will be out to prove some people wrong. Look for more play action this week. Look for more plays to the edge. And look for a Gopher win by three touchdowns at least. Go get 'em Mitch. And go get 'em line.

Mason told an interesting story on the radio yesterday. He had a backup qb and the qb coach kept telling him he wasn't ready cuz he didn't know the playbook. This went on for weeks. Finally they had to play him and he was outstanding. You just never know what Croft might do.

Ruesse said today that; apparently Kill was on KFAN around 3pm today he said 'he would never recruit another QB from Minnesota because of all the crap ML's family has had to put up with'.

Reusse was ripping Kill pretty good.

Ruesse said today that; apparently Kill was on KFAN around 3pm today he said 'he would never recruit another QB from Minnesota because of all the crap ML's family has had to put up with'.

I think Kill knows better than to say anything like that seriously within earshot of Reusse... and it's Reusse... he probably misunderstood and ran with it.

So is there no consideration being given to giving Perra a shot and not burning Croft's redshirt?

So is there no consideration being given to giving Perra a shot and not burning Croft's redshirt?

Perra got some generic praise during the off season but my impression was Croft was the guy out of those two.

Did Kill really say that? Even if he's using hyperbole to defend Leidner, pretty silly to say that. So if another Joe Mauer-caliber QB comes through a Minnesota high school, Kill's gonna' pass on him because there will be too much pressure/criticism on the kid & his family?

Did Kill really say that? Even if he's using hyperbole to defend Leidner, pretty silly to say that. So if another Joe Mauer-caliber QB comes through a Minnesota high school, Kill's gonna' pass on him because there will be too much pressure/criticism on the kid & his family?

I listened. Kill was laughing as he said it. It was for effect. Some people sure have difficulty with context.

This thread has been one of the more rational ones regarding the QB situation. Glad most people are finally realizing it doesn't matter who we have at QB right now, if we don't get the Oline and TE issues fixed our offense will not be successful. All we need them to do is at least have them stop letting 1-2 people through free on every play and we will be OK.

I was at the KSU game. Mitch was fine. He underthrew two deep balls but threw a lot of nice mid-range passes. Wasn't he 17-27? The problem was, once it became 10-7, Kill decided that since their D was so much better than KSU's O, the only way they could lose was another defensive touchdown and so they shut it right down. The Gophers D was so dominant that they settled for running out the clock. If Sill doesn't fumble, I suspect they go in to score and possibly score again and 17, 20, or 24 nothing sure feels a lot better than 10-7.

Recapping the season so far:
-TCU-Mitch put up 17 points against a top 5 team. That is not terrible.
-CSU-Mitch struggled but led a touchdown drive in the last two minutes that led to the win, on the road against a decent team. That is not terrible.
-KSU-Mitch went 17-27 against a lousy team and then the coach shut down the passing attack. The two picks hurt, although both were similar to punts.

It surprises me so much of the focus is on Mitch and not the rb (Smith is not the answer at least this year), wr (is there a deep threat on the team?) and o line (beat up and got owned by a bad MAC team).

Season wise the O probably grades a C- and Mitch is above the curve at a B-

-KSU-Mitch went 17-27 against a lousy team and then the coach shut down the passing attack. The two picks hurt, although both were similar to punts.

agree his stats look decent on paper but 8 of those completions were 5 yards or less with 2 of them for negative yards. I was also at the game and he does have a nice few difficult throws he completes but so much of the time his accuracy is way off

I listened. Kill was laughing as he said it. It was for effect. Some people sure have difficulty with context.

Yep, saw multiple tweets saying that if you were actually there when he said it, you'd know he was joking.

Top Bottom