JUCO transfers?

CTgopher14

Reaction score
For those who know the history, does Coach Fleck like to go after junior college transfers or does he prefer to stay away? Just trying to think through how the defense could be bolstered next year. It would seem if the defense can be a B/B+ next season then we should be right there competing for Division Title.

most every coach prefers a 4 year player.....but no doubt Fleck would take a JUCO if he thought the guy could help the team

PJ has said that generally he would rather not go the JUCO route, but he will if he feels it makes the team better.

So shortly after he said that we saw some JUCOs come in.

I think PJ's ideal is that we wouldn't see many if any JUCOs.

PJ hasn't expressed the same aversion to transfers, and he has taken those as well.

If we were to go JUCO route this season, it would likely be a linebacker. Could also see safety as a spot with Winfield Jr leaving, but we went hard after DB's last cycle so Fleck probably feels ok about the group.

It would be extremely unlikely we sign a juco this year. We already have more signees than scholarships available, publicly at least.

For those who know the history, does Coach Fleck like to go after junior college transfers or does he prefer to stay away? Just trying to think through how the defense could be bolstered next year. It would seem if the defense can be a B/B+ next season then we should be right there competing for Division Title.
Very few JUCOs in the past, and my guess is even fewer in the future.

I would think with the advent of the Transfer Portal, there may be fewer opporunities for JUCOs to find a 4 year team. If so, that would be an interesting consequence of the Portal and could affect JUCOs moving forward.

if you are good enough football player at a Juco you will still have plenty of suitors for 4 year colleges regardless of the transfer portal

To echo what some others have said, Fleck does not seem to like to go the JUCO route if it can be avoided. Doesn't mean they won't bring one in but it doesn't seem to be something they like to do if it can be avoided.

I think immediate needs and who are available that can help the team dictates whether or not they take a non HS player. Chris Wlliamson, Micah Drew Treadway, Benjamin Saint Juste, Keonte Schad, and others were good additions.

But, he said as a development program he prefers HS players.

I think immediate needs and who are available that can help the team dictates whether or not they take a non HS player. Chris Wlliamson, Micah Drew Treadway, Benjamin Saint Juste, Keonte Schad, and others were good additions.

But, he said as a development program he prefers HS players.

3 of the 4 your mentioned were transfers. Think only Schad was a JUCO out of that group. and pretty sure there are not many others on the roster (Dickson maybe). If we are going to take one or the other my money would be on a transfer before another JUCO only because that seems to be the way Fleck leans.

You're absolutely correct. I meant to say both transfers and/or JUCOs.

I echo the sentiment shared here that JUCOs may have some stiff competition with the advent of the Transfer Portal.

This is a thread about whether Fleck will add Jucos? 3 weeks after signing day when we didn't add any? Do you think we'll add a QB to the 2020 class? Any ideas?

Seems like grad transfers are all the rage these days. It’s crazy to think that with getting credit for courses completed in high school, enrolling early, and taking full credit loads in the summer, that a guy can earn an undergrad degree after only 2 fall seasons!

I think a grad transfer is more likely than anything, they have two open scholarships right now? A grad transfer D-linemen and d-back would be a good thing.

Fleck has openly said he does not like to go the JUCO route.

Besides Schad and Dickson, the only other JUCO's I can think of...

Neil McLaurin enrolled at the U before Claeys was fired, but got counted as part of PJ's first class. He was run out of town before the end of Spring practice.

"Vegas" Vic Viramontes was the next class and also got run out of town after Spring practice.

This is a thread about whether Fleck will add Jucos? 3 weeks after signing day when we didn't add any? Do you think we'll add a QB to the 2020 class? Any ideas?
No regarding QB. Fleck said at Signing Day that they didn't even look at QB's this class since they have four on scholarship and already have their 2021 QB committed.

Fleck’s first class had an OL from a California JUCO. Ben Davis? He just transferred out, didn’t get to play much.

I don't see it fitting into Fleck's building of culture.

I'm curious as to who would replace Winfield. Benny Suggs Jr. or his little brother? I'm not sure who was behind him on the depth chart.

I don't see it fitting into Fleck's building of culture.

I'm curious as to who would replace Winfield. Benny Suggs Jr. or his little brother? I'm not sure who was behind him on the depth chart.

for as much as I love the Winfield pedigree I don’t foresee Austin replacing him this season.

Fleck’s first class had an OL from a California JUCO. Ben Davis? He just transferred out, didn’t get to play much.
Fleck also took Royal Silver in that class - another JuCo.

Last edited:

Fleck has openly said he does not like to go the JUCO route.

Besides Schad and Dickson, the only other JUCO's I can think of...

Neil McLaurin enrolled at the U before Claeys was fired, but got counted as part of PJ's first class. He was run out of town before the end of Spring practice.

"Vegas" Vic Viramontes was the next class and also got run out of town after Spring practice.

No regarding QB. Fleck said at Signing Day that they didn't even look at QB's this class since they have four on scholarship and already have their 2021 QB committed.
Sorry, my sarcasm didn’t come through. If we were going to take a Juco, it would have happened.
For all the noise about Fleck not taking Jucos, if you include grad transfers, he’s taken about the same amount as his predecessors to get the roster where he wants it. That will probably change now that we have depth.

Top Bottom