Juco Safety visit Dec 11

GopherBeef

Reaction score
Rivals has Malcolm Murray, a Juco S, visiting December 11. Not a lot of info on him on either Rivals or Scout, other than he has an offer from Kansas, great size for a safety (6'2" 205 or 210), appears to be a Dec. grad, and may have three yrs of eligibility left (Scout has him as a RS freshman).

He is also visiting Kansas the week before visiting us.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=4543030

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Malcolm-Murray-105317

I know Juco players have not always panned out for us, but this could be a good deal if we can get him in January, have 3 yrs of eligibility, and have him at a big position of need.

Anybody have any more info on this or any other recruits?

Given the coaching situation in Kansas, we've probably got a pretty decent shot at him. It certainly would be nice to have another safety in the mix.

Tramaine Brock worked out well, at least for one year. Simoni Lawerence has also. I try not to let the hype of Hayo and Pittman sour all Jucos.

His size is impressive, had a lot of nice BCS offers coming out of high school.

Ha-ha.

I said earlier that we'd go after immediate safety help, even with two starters returning.

I guess I was bound to get something right!

Anything would be an improvement over Royston. If the guy is that big and can move and has 3 yrs. left,would be a good pick up.

Does this signal Royston to CB?

It should.

I really like the way our D is shaping up for next year. I'm probably the only one who thinks it will be better (even losing 9 seniors) than it was this year.

Tramaine Brock worked out well, at least for one year. Simoni Lawerence has also. I try not to let the hype of Hayo and Pittman sour all Jucos.

Small was also a JUCO with 3 years of eleigibility when he got here and he worked out well (anybody who starts should be considered "working out well"). Even though BPT took a downturn this year, he had a good year last year and the switch in defensive philosophy likely had a negative effect on his play this year. Therefore, I would say he worked out OK (not great). Not a bad hit rate for a relatively small number of JUCO recruits.

Small was also a JUCO with 3 years of eleigibility when he got here and he worked out well (anybody who starts should be considered "working out well"). Even though BPT took a downturn this year, he had a good year last year and the switch in defensive philosophy likely had a negative effect on his play this year. Therefore, I would say he worked out OK (not great). Not a bad hit rate for a relatively small number of JUCO recruits.

Good points. For all the negativity about the JC recruits on the team, there have been quite a few that played a big role the last couple years.

Hits--
Eric Small
Simoni Lawrence-Key player on defense the last two years
Tramaine Brock-1 year only
Traye Simmons-1 good year, 1 poor year

Misses--
David Pittman
Rex Sharpe

Wait until next year to judge--
Jeff Wills
Hayo Carpenter

I am sure I missed some, but just having Lawrence and Small the last two years and Brock and Simmons last year had to be worth a few wins.

It should.

I really like the way our D is shaping up for next year. I'm probably the only one who thinks it will be better (even losing 9 seniors) than it was this year.

Nope, not the only one. I'm with you, especially after my son and I watched the Iowa game again, taking note of how many D were on the field at critical times and situations. So, instead of 9 gone I'm seeing 2 back, several like Tinsley, Kirksey and Edwards who were "go-to" guys, and a number of promising redshirts / recruits. Let's see, but it's not the pending doom some here would have us believe.

It should.

You're not the only one. There are certainly a lot of "ifs" involved, but if the younger guys who contributed this year (Cooper, Kirksey, Carter, Edwards, Wilhite, Jacobs, Tinsley) can continue to improve and step up, and if a few redshirts do the same, we could be very good. On paper, at least, the defense could be solid.

But, as we know, games aren't played on paper, they're played inside TV sets!
--Keith Olbermann back when he was funny.

Good points. For all the negativity about the JC recruits on the team, there have been quite a few that played a big role the last couple years.

Hits--
Eric Small

Misses--
David Pittman
Rex Sharpe

Jeff Wills
Hayo Carpenter

I am sure I missed some, but just having Lawrence and Small the last two years and Brock and Simmons last year had to be worth a few wins.

You should move Wills up to the Hits category. There's no way that the only person who played every snap for us this season (i think) should be in the same category as Hayo Carpenter.

I'm excited for the possibilities this safety brings. I think that Theret would sit before Royston but I could be wrong.

I thought Royston was the savior at safety. Wonder why you need another JUCO there.

Royston played very well as the year progressed. I think he needed some games to work the rust off from sitting out an entire year. If anyone sits it will be Theret. Collado showed in the Iowa game that a safety with speed can make some plays that Theret just can't make (he's almost always a step slow).

Royston was a lot better than Theret, IMO. I wouldn't be shocked to see Royston actually switch to CB (I thought i've heard that we are likely to play a lot more zone), if some of our young safeties (JuCo guy) or Collado emerges.

I think the defense is going to be pretty good next year as well. We're going to miss Campbell and Brown the most in my opinion (with Small and Triplett slightly behind them), but I think we've got a good set of relatively experienced guys ready to slot into the starting roles.

It should.

Looks like you've got plenty of support for that opinion, add me to the list.

Hits--
Eric Small

Misses--
David Pittman
Rex Sharpe

Jeff Wills
Hayo Carpenter

Add Cedric McKinley to the hits. He's been a solid contributor this year.

here comes the juco hype lol...idk position depth is always a big plus though.

Pittman and hayo do tend to sour the outlook on Juco hype. But when you look at the Juco contributions it is quite startlingly in the positive overall. We do know we need some depth that's game ready at DB so I can see the move.

Put me in the camp also that thought Royston looked very good down the stretch.

Forgot about big Ced. He was a good contributor this year too. Not a superstar but definitely the most productive DE. The JUCOs who contributed positively defintely outnumber the misses.

U R A LOSER! Go away!

XBOX 360 username: UM Gophers

I have EDITED ncaa football 10 rosters. Special editing for better realism (IMO) for Minnesota and Wisconsin. Edited almost weekly for minnesota.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I always wondered how realistic that game is. Do the Gophers ever beat the Badgers in the video game?

XBOX 360 username: UM Gophers

I have EDITED ncaa football 10 rosters. Special editing for better realism (IMO) for Minnesota and Wisconsin. Edited almost weekly for minnesota.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I always wondered how realistic that game is. Do the Gophers ever beat the Badgers in the video game?

Nope, but they do ok in the basketball games.

I thought Royston was the savior at safety. Wonder why you need another JUCO there.

You could have used Royston this year GV, your pass defense was #8 in the conference.
Royston was also far ahead (of anyone in your secondary) on the BT leaderboard in tackles.

It was fun watching Kafka and NU shred your defense. I had a good chuckle at how quiet and unemotional the Badger sideline was late in that game.

On a side note, I find it rather ironic that you live in Golden Valley. To match that irony, I'd have to move to Inbredville. :D

You could have used Royston this year GV, your pass defense was #8 in the conference.
Royston was also far ahead (of anyone in your secondary) on the BT leaderboard in tackles.

It was fun watching Kafka and NU shred your defense. I had a good chuckle at how quiet and unemotional the Badger sideline was late in that game.

On a side note, I find it rather ironic that you live in Golden Valley. To match that irony, I'd have to move to Inbredville. :D

Sorry anything Wisonsin related I can't help put chime in!

Roystons backups at Wisconsin (2009 starting Wisc safties):

Tackles TFL/YDS Sacks (no/yds) INT brups
Valai 45 2.5/-6 0 0 3
Maragos 43 3.0/-15 1/-9 4 2
Total 88 5.5/-21 1/-9 4 5

Royston 71 1.5/-17 1/-16 1 6

Gopher defense is ranked higher as is the pass defense plus the gophers played a tougher schedule? Maybe if you combine the Badger totals..........

The scary part is these guys were 2nd team and honorable mention All BigTen:confused:

Sorry anything Wisonsin related I can't help put chime in!

Roystons backups at Wisconsin (2009 starting Wisc safties):

Tackles TFL/YDS Sacks (no/yds) INT brups
Valai 45 2.5/-6 0 0 3
Maragos 43 3.0/-15 1/-9 4 2
Total 88 5.5/-21 1/-9 4 5

Royston 71 1.5/-17 1/-16 1 6

Gopher defense is ranked higher as is the pass defense plus the gophers played a tougher schedule? Maybe if you combine the Badger totals..........

The scary part is these guys were 2nd team and honorable mention All BigTen:confused:

Might want to check those numbers again, sport.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Ohio State.......... 8 644 1579 542 2223 4.1 10 277.9
2. Iowa................ 8 962 1272 543 2234 4.1 13 279.2
3. Penn State.......... 8 929 1553 528 2482 4.7 12 310.2
4. Wisconsin........... 8 576 1934 480 2510 5.2 18 313.8
5. Purdue.............. 8 1371 1462 529 2833 5.4 24 354.1
Northwestern........ 8 994 1839 506 2833 5.6 24 354.1
7. Minnesota........... 8 1200 1884 561 3084 5.5 24 385.5
8. Michigan State...... 8 998 2148 573 3146 5.5 28 393.2
9. Illinois............ 8 1438 1725 541 3163 5.8 23 395.4
10.Indiana............. 8 1450 1889 578 3339 5.8 30 417.4
11.Michigan............ 8 1627 1801 569 3428 6.0 31 428.5

Though in the scheme of things, 73 yards is not that many.

Did it occur to you that Royston may have more tackles because the Badgers had a much better run defense and the safeties did not have to make as many tackles? Probably not.

I moved from Golden Valley for just that reason. Kafka had a nice half against the Badgers. Unfortunately, it was enough to win the game. It was a hard fought game and NU deserved to win. Emotion does not win football games. If it did, the Gophers would never lose, given how hot the chilli is every week.

I moved from Golden Valley for just that reason. Kafka had a nice half against the Badgers. Unfortunately, it was enough to win the game. It was a hard fought game and NU deserved to win. Emotion does not win football games. If it did, the Gophers would never lose, given how hot the chilli is every week.

In case you ever wondered about your worth on this site, I'm a big fan of yours GV.

I really hope we can beat the f*ckin badgers next year though. As much as Badger fans probably dislike brew, god do I f*ckin Brett buttf*ck.

That being said, thank you for entertaining me on a daily basis.

Top Bottom