JUCO LB Marceice “Bam Bam” Jackson May Be Late Addition to Gophers Recruiting Class

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
JUCO LB Marceice “Bam Bam” Jackson May Be Late Addition to Gophers Recruiting Class
Jackson may try to visit Gophers in next two weeks.
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/132463?referrer_id=331171

Marceice “Bam Bam” Jackson, a 6-foot-3, 240-pound linebacker from Fort Scott (KS) Community College, is a late possible addition to the Minnesota Gopher 2012 recruiting class. GopherHole.com caught up with Fort Scott head coach Curtis Horton to learn more about his talented linebacker.

Jackson, a native of Daphne, Alabama, signed with Fort Scott after helping lead Daphne to a 27-9 record. The Tigers finished 16-2 in region play and captured two region championships.

Jackson had 63 tackles, six pass breakups and two rushing touchdowns as a high school senior.

Jackson, who has grown an inch and gained 20 pounds since high school, helped lead Fort Scott to a 4-4 mark this season. He tied for the team lead in tackles (48), despite missing two games. Jackson had 26 solo tackles and 22 assists. He had six tackles for loss and one interception which he returned for 63 yards. Jackson adds two fumble recoveries for 12 yard and blocked a kick.

GopherHole: Have you been involved with Marceice’s recruitment?

Curtis Horton: I actually recruited Bam Bam from Daphne High School a couple of years back. He comes from a big-time high school program

GopherHole: What do you see as his strengths as a player?

Curtis Horton: He has the physical size. He is a very physical young man. There is a reason his nickname is Bam Bam. He likes contact. He can be as good as he wants to be.

GopherHole: What linebacker position did he play for you?

Curtis Horton: He was a SAM (strongside) linebacker for us. He is prototypical. He is big and physical and can take on the run and he is athletic enough to cover the flat.

GopherHole: What schools are looking at him?

Curtis Horton: He has had Texas State, Minnesota, Florida Atlantic and Memphis. He has had quite a few schools visit with him.

GopherHole: When will he be done with school?

Curtis Horton: He is going to graduate in May.

GopherHole: Has he taken many visits?

Curtis Horton: He has taken two or three. He visited Memphis, Florida Atlantic and Texas State.

GopherHole: I think that he might try to visit Minnesota next weekend or the weekend after that, right?

Curtis Horton: They have been talking to him for awhile about setting up a visit or not.

GopherHole: Is there a reason why he is still available now? Was he a little bit under the radar?

Curtis Horton: He is a redshirt freshman, so he could come back and play for us. He is three for three (three years to use up his three years of college eligibility). He can graduate or he could come back, so he is taking some visits and talking to some schools and will then decide what he is going to do.

GopherHole: How has he been as a kid to deal with?

Curtis Horton: He is a good kid. He is a hard worker. He has done everything I have asked of him to do.

GopherHole: How did you find out about him?

Curtis Horton: I am originally from Alabama, so I recruit the state of Alabama and through coaches I know, I found out about Bam Bam and Daphne and established that contact and we got him up here and got his grades right.

GopherHole: What are some things that he needs to continue to work on to improve himself as a player?

Curtis Horton: Just experience and playing time. The big thing about him is that he came from such a great high school program. He walked in here and played for us. He just needs to keep developing and get that playing experience. He definitely has the size and skills.

GopherHole: What do you know about the Minnesota program?

Curtis Horton: We are big fans of Coach Kill and his staff.

3 years of eligibility - that's what I like to hear.

Kill likes projects, and likes projects that have "turned the corner". If he continues to be a bad citizen, he is gone.

Both Duane Bennett and MarQueis has stated publicly that without U of M football, they would be...in a bad place.

Love the nickname. Physical defensive players? The more, the merrier.

How did he get the nickname "bam-bam"? Hopefully on the football field. Well hopefully his off field issues are behind him.

Kill likes projects, and likes projects that have "turned the corner". If he continues to be a bad citizen, he is gone.

Both Duane Bennett and MarQueis has stated publicly that without U of M football, they would be...in a bad place.

It is the difference between screwing up and being a screwup. A lot of people screw up. One part of recruiting is figuring out who has the character to take advantage of their second chances.

Hopefully if Bam Bam signs here he will bring his girlfriend Pebbles with him, I hear she's rock solid.

Top Bottom