Journal Sentinel: Where were you for the Badgers Miracle in the Metrodome in 2005?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This is one of the most gut-punching loses in a long history of them as a Gopher fan. So painful, 14 years later.

Per JR:

It's hard to top the thrill of the 2005 battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe in 2005, an Oct. 15 battle that ended in the most unlikely of circumstances.

The Badgers and Gophers will renew their rivalry with huge stakes on Saturday, knowing the winner will claim the Big Ten West Division title.

In 2005, both teams were 5-1 overall and 2-1 in conference play when Wisconsin traveled to the Metrodome. The Badgers were ranked No. 23 and Minnesota No. 22.

Minnesota had the ball back, but Mark Zalewski stuffed Maroney on third and 3, and Minnesota was forced to punt on 4th and 1 with 30 seconds left, setting up this...

Go Gophers!!

That damn punt block happened right in front of me. Roughly the 20 yard line, lower deck on the West side of the Dome. That hurt.

I was working in southern Illinois with a company out of Minneapolis that had half the roster from Dinksconsin. Pretty embarrassing.
Goes back to the saying "Where do the wisconsin grads go? Minnesota"

In the corner on the other end but could see it plain as day. That one hurt.

As a student in the end zone where it happened right in front of me. All I kept thinking, was run out of the back of the end zone and take the safety. Give up 2 instead of 6.

As the crow flies....about 150 feet from Kucek. Gut. Punch.

In the student section....that one sucked...
Opposite corner from Student section our end zone row 8. Saw Gopher punter drop Snap. Yelled peter play bat it out. Instead he picked it up tried to kick and the punt was blocked. Stadium was so loud no way the punter could hear anything. Thought that game was in bag, Maroney played so well.

I was there. Probably the only time my wife has heard me curse.

Honestly...I've had lot of booze today so I could be way off and making $hit up...

Was that the beginning of the end for Mason? Gophers had a GREAT rushing attack but failed at the most inopportune times.

That was a deflating loss

Honestly...I've had lot of booze today so I could be way off and making $hit up...

Was that the beginning of the end for Mason? Gophers had a GREAT rushing attack but failed at the most inopportune times.

That was a deflating loss
I've often pointed to that loss as being the breaking point for Mason as well. IMHO he never really recovered.

Other end of the stadium. Sucked there as well.

About the 30 yard line. Among the things that made it painful was that the Gophers had just shredded them running at will all day and then we couldn't get about a yard.

I had left my seats and was standing outside the metrodome listening. My sister (a student in the student section) told me to meet her outside if i wanted to go to a house party, so I got up and left. I was a 17 year old badger fan and wanted to go have a beer.

My sister never left her seats and so I stood alone outside unable to witness the miracle. I’ve never forgiven her, even though I’ve since earned a gopher degree and converted fandom.

That damn punt block happened right in front of me. Roughly the 20 yard line, lower deck on the West side of the Dome. That hurt.
We were neighbors. I was quiet, very quiet. I pouted for two days and was mute.

I was at the game. This is prime example of that attention to detail. The head coach, the special teams coach, whoever reminds the punter when he comes in to take the safety if things go bad. It wasn't a miracle. It was a botched play. Take the safety and the game is over.

I was at the game. This is prime example of that attention to detail. The head coach, the special teams coach, whoever reminds the punter when he comes in to take the safety if things go bad. It wasn't a miracle. It was a botched play. Take the safety and the game is over.

Not quite. Game was not over even if he kicked a 60 yard punt for a fair catch. This was a Glen Mason defense after all.

Not quite. Game was not over even if he kicked a 60 yard punt for a fair catch. This was a Glen Mason defense after all.
Well, if they returned the punt for a TD or threw a Hail Mary for a TD then it's a miracle. I would have taken my chances with that.

Right there in section 122 I think. Still sore about it.

Yeah - I was there too. I wasn’t close enough for the players to hear me yelling, it I ha e it a shot anyway. Take the safety dude.

The only Gopher game I ever watched from a skybox. Was there with a non-football fan Wisconsin guy, my roommate. He left because he was bored and went back to our home and I had to walk in the door an hour later and break the news that yeah, you guys won that crap.

I was working at a hotel front desk on the West Coast and turned the channel to the game on the restaurant TV so I can watch it while I was working. The thing I remember most about that game is the waitress laughing at me when the punt was blocked.

Down the third baseline 20-30 rows up near the 30 yard line. The side of the punt block end zone.

Top Bottom