Journal Sentinel: The return to Minnesota is bound to be a doozy for UW guard Brad Davison after his suspension

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Journal Sentinel:

Greg Gard expects Minnesota fans will be eager to serenade Wisconsin guard Brad Davison when he returns to his home state.

“I am sure they will be very innovative in terms of welcoming him home,” Gard said with a wry smile.

UW (13-9, 6-5 Big Ten) faces the Gophers (11-10, 5-6) at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Minneapolis.

The Gophers’ student section for years serenaded UW’s Bo Ryan with the chant: “(Expletive) Bo Ryan!” After Ryan retired early in the 2015-16 season, the chant morphed into the generic: “(Expletive) the Badgers!”

Minnesota fans apparently don't yet loathe Gard, who is 3-0 against the Gophers in Minneapolis and 5-1 overall.

Some Minnesota fans used social media to criticize Davison after UW victories over the Gophers two seasons ago in Madison and last season in Minneapolis. Those fans claimed Davison tried to trip Nate Mason in Madison and Jordan Murphy in Minneapolis.

The officials did not call a foul on either play, however, and the Big Ten office did not levy any penalties.

"He loves the rivalry between us and Minnesota," guard D'Mitrik Trice said. "He embraces that to the fullest. He doesn’t really take into account what people on the outside say about his game.

"He just goes out there and plays hard every time."

Go Gophers!!

Wisconsin State Journal chimes in:

Davison will get no sympathy from Minnesota fans, who were angry after they felt he tried to trip Jordan Murphy as the Gophers star was coming down with a rebound early in the game. The Minnesota athletic department even sent a request to the Big Ten office a day later seeking clarification on whether Davison should have been penalized; no punishment was handed out by the conference.

“I’ve known that kid for seven, eight years,” Gard said last week. “The kid competes hard. Does he play hard? Absolutely. Was that a foul (at Iowa)? Yes. It was adjudicated appropriately during the game. But there was no malice or no intent on that. I’ll go to the end of the earth for him and for all of our guys in terms of we try to play and teach the game the right way, and play hard, and it’s competition.”

Others disagree. Rob Dauster of NBC Sports wasn’t even 10 words into a column he wrote last week about Davison’s reputation and already had called Davison “a dirty player and “a cheap-shot artist.”

Go Gophers!!

Wisconsin State Journal chimes in:

Davison will get no sympathy from Minnesota fans, who were angry after they felt he tried to trip Jordan Murphy as the Gophers star was coming down with a rebound early in the game. The Minnesota athletic department even sent a request to the Big Ten office a day later seeking clarification on whether Davison should have been penalized; no punishment was handed out by the conference.

“I’ve known that kid for seven, eight years,” Gard said last week. “The kid competes hard. Does he play hard? Absolutely. Was that a foul (at Iowa)? Yes. It was adjudicated appropriately during the game. But there was no malice or no intent on that. I’ll go to the end of the earth for him and for all of our guys in terms of we try to play and teach the game the right way, and play hard, and it’s competition.”

Others disagree. Rob Dauster of NBC Sports wasn’t even 10 words into a column he wrote last week about Davison’s reputation and already had called Davison “a dirty player and “a cheap-shot artist.”

Go Gophers!!
So Gard thinks Davison hitting a player in the junk for the 3rd time isn't intentional? Sounds like a real stand-up guy.

Win or lose we should let Omersa meet Davison in the parking lot after the game and give a little back for the cheap shots to Mason and Murphy.

Some Minnesota fans used social media to criticize Davison after UW victories over the Gophers two seasons ago in Madison and last season in Minneapolis. Those fans claimed Davison tried to trip Nate Mason in Madison and Jordan Murphy in Minneapolis.
Actually it was pretty much anyone that wasn't a WI fan or a member of the Davison family, especially the plan on Murphy.

So Gard thinks Davison hitting a player in the junk for the 3rd time isn't intentional? Sounds like a real stand-up guy.

Win or lose we should let Omersa meet Davison in the parking lot after the game and give a little back for the cheap shots to Mason and Murphy.
That sounds like a grade school taunt. If you are so tough why don't you volunteer?

It is a matter of fact, not fiction that the mother is tougher than Parcival.

Can we just ignore this dude? Like why even give him any oxygen?

You're talking about Plato, right? Just click on his name and then "ignore".
I’ve never seen this guy post before and all of a sudden he’s pissed because we’re having some fun at Davison’s expense.

What a weirdo.

I wonder if Doogie will do another post-season catch up interview with this dopey looking creep.

I kind of bet not

I wonder if Doogie will do another post-season catch up interview with this dopey looking creep.

I kind of bet not
Doogie has been kind of quiet on his favorite college basketball player of late.

Davison played scared out there and didn't even make a field goal. Reuvers hauled in an impressive three rebounds yet again.

Davison played scared out there and didn't even make a field goal. Reuvers hauled in an impressive three rebounds yet again.

It took Ruevers 18 shots to get 14 and Davison is just bad at this point.

He can't shoot and he isn't quick enough to get by anyone.

As “WE WANT BRAD” rained down from the Gopher student section onto the maligned guard, I couldn’t help but smile. Fuck him. Not because he left. But because he seems like a real ass

Never seen a team with so many punchable faces
Agreed. At least they aren't good at basketball. We have a very real shot at sweeping Bucky this year provided we don't get jobbed at the Kohl Center by the zebras.

As “WE WANT BRAD” rained down from the Gopher student section onto the maligned guard, I couldn’t help but smile. Fuck him. Not because he left. But because he seems like a real ass
Some guys behind us thought they were chanting for some scrub on our bench. Haha.

Agreed. At least they aren't good at basketball. We have a very real shot at sweeping Bucky this year provided we don't get jobbed at the Kohl Center by the zebras.
I think it’s pretty much guaranteed we will get jobbed by the refs at the Kohl Center. The refs will be worth at least 10 points for the evil Badgers. So, we have to be 10 points better than Bucky to win that game. If our shots fall, we can do that. If we clank like we did in the first half at home against MI St, we could get blown out. Let’s hope the shots fall!

Maybe my favorite thing Davison did last night was randomly work REALLY hard posting up Willis or Gabe, only to not get the ball and then get pissed. Does he not realize he is like their 5th option?

Maybe my favorite thing Davison did last night was randomly work REALLY hard posting up Willis or Gabe, only to not get the ball and then get pissed. Does he not realize he is like their 5th option?

That's honestly his game now. He posts up guards and tries to play bully ball. It isn't working real well, but it's an ineffective new wrinkle they have decided to sprinkle in.

That would be the only reason I'd cheer for him.

Top Bottom