Joshua Ola-Joseph Enters Transfer Portal

Calling Betts a miss because he redshirted last year and sat behind players older than him his 1st year is hilarious.
Like zero minutes on a team starving for bench players. So far he's a miss. He might turn it around, but he was billed as a fairly major recruit for us. Hes not so far.

Like zero minutes on a team starving for bench players. So far he's a miss. He might turn it around, but he was billed as a fairly major recruit for us. Hes not so far.
Major recruit by who? He committed as an under the radar recruit and no one viewed him playing much this year. He's literally 18 and college basketball has turned into a game of mostly 21-24 year olds dominating because of transfers.

The other site is saying there will be two more and possibly three.

Major recruit by who? He committed as an under the radar recruit and no one viewed him playing much this year. He's literally 18 and college basketball has turned into a game of mostly 21-24 year olds dominating because of transfers.

Certainly can't close the book on him but it's not unfair to mention that he didn't look very good when he did play. True, he only played 56 minutes on the season but he had a -1 Player Efficiency Rating. Kleinys played only 21 minutes but he had 7 points, 5 rebounds, and shot 60% in those 21 minutes.

One can be supportive of the team and still acknowledge possible weak spots.

All games matter. JOJ scored in double figures in 13 games and 6 of those were Big Ten games. He was perhaps the most valuable player in our first conference win (the big comeback against Nebraska) and was instrumental in beating Penn State on the road.
So Betts 18 min vs IUPUI ST College are the same as us only have 6 guys capable of functioning in the Big ten tournament?

Either way you slice it, Betts and Joj were useless, blame them or the coach, but the result is the same. Terrible

So Betts 18 min vs IUPUI ST College are the same as us only have 6 guys capable of functioning in the Big ten tournament?

Either way you slice it, Betts and Joj were useless, blame them or the coach, but the result is the same. Terrible
I think we can give Betts another season to carve out a niche. The guy is really the age of a HS senior this year and he plays on a team with a ton of talent at the 4. I do put some of the roster construction issues on Ben, but there are not a ton of minutes behind Garcia, Payne, and Fox in the front court.

JOJ.png

Check out this stretch from earlier in the season (couldn't get the file size to fit the 2 previous games either)- crazy to me that it came to this after JOJ showed so much potential. We almost certainly lose to Nebraska without him after Dawson went down.

Sucks that we'll probably never know why JOJ got put in the doghouse and was glued to the bench, especially since the team was obviously tired and completely out of gas.

The "he doesn't play defense" theory doesn't really pass muster, since the entire rotation (save Carrington) was pretty flammable down the stretch.

This was expected but still a loss- best of luck JOJ. There's a really good player in there waiting to be unlocked.

Attachments

• JOJ.png
    JOJ.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 13

He's essentially redshirted for two years. That's not a good look. At the very least, having him skip his senior season and enroll early was a waste.
He needed bodies for practice last year... not sure that is a waste

He needed bodies for practice last year... not sure that is a waste
Would you feel good about it if you were him? Or would you rather have stayed and played your senior season with your teammates?

I wouldn't be shocked if the 2 are Ihnen and Keinys and the "possible" 3rd was Garcia.

He didn't commit to returning and could get paid elsewhere. I'm not saying he's leaving, but he could also be the possible third.
he won't transfer.... go play for money somewhere but he won't transfer.

Would you feel good about it if you were him? Or would you rather have stayed and played your senior season with your teammat

it was better for the team.....and he made the choice.

Please, I wasn't talking about Betts. Give me some credit for knowing the team for Christ sakes! My point about JOJ is he had been a valuable contributor in more than a few games over his two years here even though his contributions dwindled to virtually nothing toward the end of his time. I'm not going to trash the guy because his stint here ended badly.

I'm glad he transferred because it's a good move for both sides.

Would you feel good about it if you were him? Or would you rather have stayed and played your senior season with your teammates?
Wasn’t he going to a prep school before he reclassified and signed?

He was not going to play with his teammates. He was on his way to a prep school that he hadn’t been at before. Ben likely signed him because there was an open scholarship and to prevent others from poaching him after his commitment.

By definition, I’m not giving up on an 18 year old just yet. Decision he has to make though.

he won't transfer.... go play for money somewhere but he won't transfer.
Same thing... if he does what Battle does and goes for a big payday at another college, he might make more than what he'd make playing if he "goes pro". Not sure how NIL $ at other schools might compare to an average European league contract for example.

He was not going to play with his teammates. He was on his way to a prep school that he hadn’t been at before. Ben likely signed him because there was an open scholarship and to prevent others from poaching him after his commitment.

By definition, I’m not giving up on an 18 year old just yet. Decision he has to make though.
Fair enough. I didn't know he was changing schools. I'm not giving up on him either. You can at least see the potential of something, but it might be a Charles Buggs kind of potential. In any case, with as little has he played, it's fair to say it hasn't gone to plan to this point.

Sad to see him go, but, I can completely understand. Young man can jump out of the gym, but BB IQ left him lost out on the floor in many situations. You can have all the athleticism in the world, but if the opponent is essentially on a power play every time you are out there, the decision is kind of obvious at that point.

I played with a similar type of kid back in the day. Unbelievably fast, just incredible athleticism. But his CPU couldn't effectively manage the machine for squat. He frequently blew defensive assignments, got lost on offensive rotations and just generally gummed up the works whenever he was on the floor. Occassionally, when it was more improvised run and gun, he'd go off. After many, many attempts to rectify his play, the coaches just couldn't trust him enough to put him in critical situations. Really too bad. Great dude. Hell of an athlete. We just reached a point where we couldn't hide his deficiencies anymore.

Fair enough. I didn't know he was changing schools. I'm not giving up on him either. You can at least see the potential of something, but it might be a Charles Buggs kind of potential. In any case, with as little has he played, it's fair to say it hasn't gone to plan to this point.
Charles Buggs would have been a hall of famer if he liked playing basketball.

View attachment 30738

Check out this stretch from earlier in the season (couldn't get the file size to fit the 2 previous games either)- crazy to me that it came to this after JOJ showed so much potential. We almost certainly lose to Nebraska without him after Dawson went down.

Sucks that we'll probably never know why JOJ got put in the doghouse and was glued to the bench, especially since the team was obviously tired and completely out of gas.

The "he doesn't play defense" theory doesn't really pass muster, since the entire rotation (save Carrington) was pretty flammable down the stretch.

This was expected but still a loss- best of luck JOJ. There's a really good player in there waiting to be unlocked.
I think the much bigger reason is that Ben Johnson quit playing him at SF and Parker Fox emerged as the backup post player. A guy like JOJ is always going to feast on lesser opponents because they just cannot match up with him at all physically, but even if you look at this good stretch of play.

He played 91 minutes of Big 10 basketball in the example above and he did not have 1 assist. When we play a player like him at the 3 (doesn't handle the ball well for a guard, not a real threat to shoot, doesn't move well without the ball, not a distributor), it really gums up the works. If you add that WITH the defense, he just became hard to play. Every minute you gave JOJ was a minute you were likely taking for Fox.

There is a good player in there though, I agree. I think it's on him to unlock it. Right now, he's a Ferrari without much gasoline.

Top Bottom