Josh Perkins

Was in town a couple months back for the Minnesota PnR / Hardwood Elite exposure camp and did very well.

Have also seen him play out in Denver (where he's from). Sometimes looks real good, but would like to see him more.

He has been on campus at the U. Certainly someone to continue to monitor.

I think he's got hopes to visit some of the big boys officially (Kansas, Arizona).. also, some of the home schools are in play - Denver, Colorado - as are others.

Junior guard Josh Perkins doing it all for young Regis Jesuit

It would appear that Tubby is not banking on Tyus signing like he did with Corey Joseph, I wouldn't think he would sign two PG in one class.

Yep

--link of story at bottom...

AURORA — Sometimes the young have to lead the younger. Ask Josh Perkins. Regis Jesuit's do-it-all guard is not only being asked to do it all, but he is doing it all.

"You know what, he's handling it pretty darned good for a 17-year-old kid," Raiders boys basketball coach Ken Shaw said. "The expectations are high, but you have to remind yourself that he's still a junior in high school."

Perkins, 6-foot-3 and 185 pounds, knew what the 2012-13 season was going to be like the second Regis Jesuit was eliminated from last season's Class 5A state tournament after three consecutive championships from 2009-11. He understood he would be one of nine underclassmen on the roster, including six sophomores, with only one senior who would log anything resembling significant minutes.

"I don't have a problem with it," Perkins said as Colorado re-opened play Tuesday following the mandatory holiday break. "As a leader, I have to bring their game up with mine. I have to play for them to play well. I'm just lifting them up and encouraging them."

Through nine games, it seems to be working. The Raiders are 6-3 against a strong schedule that will include a Friday night matchup against nearby rival Grandview, which is ranked No. 4 in The Denver Post 5A coaches/media poll.

Predictably, Perkins leads the Raiders in every category of consequence, and by wide margins. Perkins is averaging 26.1 points (also tops in 5A). The next Raider, sophomore Bryan Stearkel, is at 9.1. Perkins has shot 110 free throws; sophomore Kip Boryla is second with 20. Perkins has 48 assists; senior Eric Stemper follows with 12. Perkins has had to up his rebounding (7.6) and Stearkel follows with a reasonable 5.8.

Yes, there's a pattern here.

"He does a lot for us," junior Zach Smith said. "He creates a lot, and it's our job to finish and score when we need to because (opposing teams) put so much pressure and attention on him and it opens opportunities for us."

Potentially, there's also a dark side to all of it that can turn pitch black. Perkins far and away leads the team in turnovers (41) and he shot just 2-of-20 from behind the 3-point line over the first two games. He already possessed a quick trigger finger once inside half-court, but while Shaw and other Raiders are mindful of it, they foresee few problems and agree that their best path to becoming a challenger statewide is with Perkins in the lead.

"It's all a gradual process," Shaw said. "Yes, he can handle it because of his experience (Perkins was a starter and all-state honorable mention choice by The Denver Post as a sophomore) and obviously he's capable of doing it. A lot of people, the common bystander, looks at him scoring a lot, but it's just part of the things he needs to bring to the table for us to do well."

Smith added, "We're not going to resent his talent. I think he's the best in state. It's an honor playing with him; he makes the game more fun."

Stemper minced no words, including when Perkins forced a shot or threw up a prayer when triple-teamed: "We know Josh has to score his points. Even a tough shot by him is a good shot for our team. We know that."

And the rest of the Raiders may be realizing their potential by following their leader. Their leader got in foul trouble Dec. 22 against Cherokee Trail and had to sit on the bench. The Raiders trailed by 10 points, Shaw said, "but we actually cut into the deficit." And Regis Jesuit won, 54-52.

"It was beneficial," Shaw said.

Perkins, who counts 30 college offers to date, said he's just trying to make his team the best it can be and "I like being in this situation. In the long run, it will make me a better player, not just a one-thing guy as a point guard."

By mid-month, he hopes to sit down with his father and pare the recruiting suitors to a more-manageable half-dozen or so. The University of Colorado has displayed significant interest and Perkins appreciates it, although his college choice won't necessarily center on staying home or heading elsewhere.

The native Coloradan has a 3.4 grade-point average and is considering engineering or something associated with athletic training. Just as long as it includes big-time ball.

For now, he said, "It's about getting ready to win (the Continental) League and getting better."

And that's even if he has to do everything.

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_22300444/junior-guard-doing-it-all-young-regis

Pretty exciting to have another pretty good point guard considering MN.

Pretty exciting to have another pretty good point guard considering MN.

And look at that smile.. if he can make it to the NBA, Khan will draft him for sure

Push for this guy......

If you google his name with Vaughn's, you'll find a YouTube tape of him and highlights at the same camp. That tape is quite impressive, featuring young Perkins in shake and bake mode, as well some great passes.

Good call, I remember seeing that video, but the name didn't stick with me. I did remember being impressed with his vision and moves though. And the Conan the Destroyer theme remix was awesome too. And Vaughn showing off unlimited range on his jumper

Boys Basketball: Second half surge pushes Regis Jesuit past visiting Grandview 1-4-13

AURORA | The first game out of winter break often makes basketball coaches cringe, but Regis Jesuit’s Ken Shaw was pleased with what he saw from his team Friday night against visiting Grandview.
A two-point game through two quarters turned one-sided in the second half, as the Raiders ran the floor at will on their way to a 72-50 non-league victory over the Wolves in front of a full house at Regis Jesuit High School.
Junior Josh Perkins led the way for Regis Jesuit with 18 points, while senior Eric Stemper added 13 and junior Devin Kadillak 12 as the Raiders improved to 7-3 overall and avenged an eight-point loss at Grandview last season.
Grandview (6-3) played for the first time since a 3-1 performance at the Mission Prep Christmas Classic in San Luis Obispo, Calif., prior to winter break.
Coach Gary Childress’ Wolves were paced by a game-high 20 points from junior Akram Imam, while senior Branden Cosby-Lee added eight and junior Devon Brown 7.
Leading scorer Eric Garcia, who came in with an average of 18.8 points per game, picked up two fouls in the first 2:30 of the opening quarter and sat for much of the half.
The Wofford University commitment made his first field goal midway through the third quarter and finished with six points.
For the first two quarters, it looked like the inside efforts of Imam and Cosby-Lee would put Grandview in good position, as the duo combined for 11 points in the first quarter and 19 in the half.
The Wolves geared their defense to try to contain Perkins — who came in as the second-leading scorer in Class 5A at 26.1 points per game — so the other Raiders needed to get going in the game.
Kadillak did just that in the second period, as he scored eight of Regis Jesuit’s 15 points in the quarter. Trailing 25-20, Kadillak made a 3-pointer followed by a bank shot and a lay-in for a 27-25 lead at the break.
Stemper took it from there, opening the third quarter with back-to-back buckets and later hitting consecutive 3-pointers as the lead grew to double figures.
The Raiders outscored Grandview 24-12 in the third period as Stemper finished with 12 in the quarter. He also tapped the ball ahead to Perkins for a monster breakaway dunk later in the period that brought the crowd out of its seats.
Regis Jesuit pulled away in the fourth quarter with a variety of transition baskets, including back-to-back lay-ins by Zach Smith that pushed the margin as high as 22 points.
Shaw enjoyed his team’s performance, but spent most of it sitting down after he was whistled for a rare technical foul in the first half after a charging call on Perkins. The reserved Shaw said it was just his third technical he’d been given in 38 years.

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/sport...-pushes-regis-jesuit-past-visiting-grandview/

That kid looked very impressive. His ball handling was very good and his passing was crazy! I want to see more video of him, but he and Vaughn would make a great team on the court together.

+1 wouldn't feel so bad about not getting tyus if we got him!

None of those schools have offered...according to rivals but I could be wrong...

Arizona, gonzaga, and Kansas are pretty impressive in my book!

School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by
Arizona Medium None
Colorado Medium Offered None
Denver Medium Offered None
Duke Medium None
Gonzaga Medium Offered None
Minnesota Medium Offered None
New Mexico Medium Offered None
Stanford Medium Offered None

School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by
Arizona Medium None
Colorado Medium Offered None
Denver Medium Offered None
Duke Medium None
Gonzaga Medium Offered None
Minnesota Medium Offered None
New Mexico Medium Offered None
Stanford Medium Offered None

Josh Perkins, Regis Jesuit boys basketball’s junior star, has narrowed his list of schools to nine, according to the Aurora Sentinel and Scout.com.

Those schools, per the Sentinel: Arizona, Colorado, Denver, Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Minnesota, New Mexico and Stanford.

All but Duke have offered, according to Rivals.com, ESPN.com and Scout.com.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/preps/2013/01/18/regis-jesuits-josh-perkins-narrows-list-schools/8421/

consider me wrong then, my apologies...seemed like a weak list for a four star guy...my apologies...

Josh Perkins, Regis Jesuit boys basketball’s junior star, has narrowed his list of schools to nine, according to the Aurora Sentinel and Scout.com.

Those schools, per the Sentinel: Arizona, Colorado, Denver, Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Minnesota, New Mexico and Stanford.

All but Duke have offered, according to Rivals.com, ESPN.com and Scout.com.

repost of link from this thread cut and paste above....
http://blogs.denverpost.com/preps/2013/01/18/regis-jesuits-josh-perkins-narrows-list-schools/8421/

Wonder how well him and Vaughn know each other or if they became/are friends?

Tyus is obviously still number 1, but wow. That video was impressive. This kid looks like a very very good PG. Would love to have him on board. Agree that him and Vaughn would be an incredible combo.

Here's what it says...

Just a friendly update about that high-rated 2014 point guard the Gophers have their eye on.

No, wait, not that one.

While Tyus Jones is, of course, at the top of Minnesota’s list at that position for that class (along with, like, every premier university in the nation), the Gophers have extended their feelers outside of the good state of Minnesota, and have managed to make the narrowed list of another top-50 player.

Josh Perkins, from Aurora, Colo., recently narrowed his list to nine schools. Those schools include:

Arizona
Colorado
Denver
Duke
Gonzaga
Kansas
New Mexico
Stanford
Minnesota

All but Duke have offered, according to ESPN.com, Scout.com and Rivals.com.

A little about Perkins:
•Listed at 6-2, 185, Perkins has been lauded for his collegiate-ready frame, which some who have seen him say has grown this season.
•Perkins – who is also a versatile defender -- has great breakaway speed and can changes speeds and direction in an instant. He pushes the ball, is an excellent passer and finishes well around the rim.
•Perkins goes to Regis Jesuit High School in Aurora, where a year ago, he averaged 18.6 points, 5.2 assists and four rebounds. Through 13 games so far this season, he’s upped those stats to 25.3 points, 5.6 assists and 7.4 rebounds.
•The junior has not yet visited Minnesota but could in the near future.

Forgot also saw him a bit in Las Vegas this summer..

..but, I know some point out that Minnesota seems late to the party on some recruits... on Perkins though, they were involved in the summer and since then some of the bigger names have picked up their interest.

As he's already been to Minnesota, good chance he would use his officials on other colleges... wouldn't take that to mean anything other than he has already been to the U and doesn't feel a need to see it again.

Top Bottom