Josh Ogelsby to visit Minnesota Thursday

9194Gophs

Reaction score
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=17...dURL=http://minnesota.scout.com/2/965702.html

Josh Ogelsby to visit Minnesota Thursday
By Chris Monter

Date: Apr 26, 2010

Josh Oglesby, a 6-foot-5 junior from Cedar Rapids Washington who helped lead the Iowa Barnstormers to the Minnesota Pump N Run title this weekend, will make an unofficial visit to Minnesota Thursday. Oglesby is one of the outside threats in the Midwest and had a strong spring and summer playing for the Iowa Barnstormers. GoldenSports.Net caught up with him to learn the latest on his recruitment.

JOSHOGLESBY12_17150.JPG

http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowapreps/basketball/recruiting/player-Josh-Oglesby-105643

Not rated yet. I'm getting a little scared about who Tubby has lined up for the future. Since I've obviously never seen this kid play, the only thing I can go on are rankings. Does Tubby have any blue chippers on the radar for 2011 or 2012? Any that are actually considering Minnesota?

The Gophers should not be bringing in a kid that has offers from SDSU, Albany, Indiana State, Creighton and Northern Iowa IMO. This big BIG TEN basketball. Tubby was brought here to elevate recruiting. Josh Ogelsby does not count.

The Gophers should not be bringing in a kid that has offers from SDSU, Albany, Indiana State, Creighton and Northern Iowa IMO. This big BIG TEN basketball. Tubby was brought here to elevate recruiting. Josh Ogelsby does not count.

Sheesh, it's just an unofficial visit,... let's not get too carried away.

He looked very good out at Jefferson this weekend. The Barnstormers have a few kids that could find themselves at fine programs next year... nice squad.

He also visited Kansas and rivals shows offer from Arizona State. doubt that's enough for BGF.

HE IS A CLASS OF 2011! Hold your horses, folks. He hasn't been offered yet and it's an unofficial visit. This is not some "fill out the scholarship grid" player.

Sheesh, it's just an unofficial visit,... let's not get too carried away.

He looked very good out at Jefferson this weekend. The Barnstormers have a few kids that could find themselves at fine programs next year... nice squad.

Does Ogelsby have the quickness to defend SGs at the high major level?

Also, what did you think of the 6'8" forward from the Barnstormers? My apologies, I do not recall the name, but I believe his first name is Jared.

Not rated yet. I'm getting a little scared about who Tubby has lined up for the future. Since I've obviously never seen this kid play, the only thing I can go on are rankings. Does Tubby have any blue chippers on the radar for 2011 or 2012? Any that are actually considering Minnesota?

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse: :horse: :horse::horse::horse::horse:

You are so new to the whole recruiting scheme it's not even funny. Please stop. For the sake of my sanity, just stop.

I wonder if he's kin to Terrence Oglesby? He was a sharp shooter at Clemson a few years ago, but went on to play pro overseas.

Also, what did you think of the 6'8" forward from the Barnstormers? My apologies, I do not recall the name, but I believe his first name is Jared.

Jared Uthoff. Uthoff just got an Indiana offer.

For those curious about Josh Oglesby:

Oglesby is certainly a good shooter, but not at the level of a Blake Hoffarber. He is an above average ball handler for a shooting guard and has great size for the position. He is not a great athlete, but he is very smooth and can still create his own shot due to his ball handling ability and size. He is a good passer and doesn't force plays on offense. Defensively he works hard, but doesn't have the lateral quickness to effectively guard shooting guards at the high-major level, however his size may help make up for that to a certain extent. He is a player who would likely fit in very well at an Arizona State or Virginia type school, but might struggle in Tubby's system. He is a smart player as well, but once again, not quite on Hoffarber's level.

In regards to Jarrod Uthoff:

Uthoff is a thin power forward who is probably around 6'7". He has very nice touch and knocked down several threes over the weekend, however he also worked hard on the block and isn't afraid of contact despite his thin frame. He is only an average athlete, but his touch around the rim allows him to finish on a consistent basis. He can take slower post players off the dribble if they crowd him. He needs to put on a lot of weight if he wants to play in the Big Ten and could use an inch or two as well, but is definitely a high-major talent. Seth Tuttle, one of his teammates, is a similar player and will likely get high-major looks over the summer. He currently holds offers from UNI and South Dakota.

Oglesby... that's the question and I'm not sure he does, but need to see him more. Not a small kid, though.. 6'5", good size. Got to see them take on NESYB with Nimrod Hilliard on the team for the weekend... NESYB's guards had some luck and were fun to watch, but ultimately their team didn't have enough answers for the Barnstormers.

Jarrod Uthoff.. he can play. Uthoff grabbed MVP honors for the second time in as many weeks (MVP at the Spring Fling a week ago). If he keeps adding weight and strength, could turn into a very nice player. Handles the ball and moves well at 6'8", can shoot from wherever you need him to. Good looking player.

All of the Barnstormers (#10 Tuttle looked good too, as did others) were solid players... I was impressed.

and you are some recruiting wizard? for the sake of everyone else please stop!

:horse::horse::horse::horse:

I'm familiar with it enough to know that an unofficial visit does not equal an offer and that most players get their best offers after their junior season, so if a 2011 kid such as himself doesn't have amazing offers yet that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Whether Oglesby is a good prospect or not is irrelevant, it's the fact that he completely dismisses every prospect of being worthy to being a Gopher if they don't have a UNC offer by the time they're 7 years old that annoys me.

I'm familiar with it enough to know that an unofficial visit does not equal an offer and that most players get their best offers after their junior season, so if a 2011 kid such as himself doesn't have amazing offers yet that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Whether Oglesby is a good prospect or not is irrelevant, it's the fact that he completely dismisses every prospect of being worthy to being a Gopher if they don't have a UNC offer by the time they're 7 years old that annoys me.

I should not have to apologize for having higher expectations than you for what the Gophers should be bringing in. Your statement about 7th-graders is ridiculous and combative. Try explaining why Minnesota is going after these Mid-Major kids instead of being rude.

I should not have to apologize for having higher expectations than you for what the Gophers should be bringing in. Your statement about 7th-graders is ridiculous and combative. Try explaining why Minnesota is going after these Mid-Major kids instead of being rude.

Because these "mid-major" kids stick around for four years and get better with each year. Let's count the mid-majors (ridiculous term these days) that won more games in the tournament than the Gophers this year:

Butler
Cornell
Northern Iowa
Gonzaga
Murray St.
St. Mary's
Old Dominion

I would've liked to have a few of those guys on the Gophers. What's wrong with looking for a diamond in the rough?

Little bit OT, but I've got a question for people more plugged in to the recruiting scene.. Gopher Warrior, JohnnyGopher or anyone else

I was looking at 2011 players earlier today and was wondering if the Gophers had done much looking at Darnell Harris and Andre Henley?

Both are good shooting small forwards, Harris is 6'8", Henley 6'6"... Harris is a Milwaukee kid and Henley a team mate of Oto at Brehm. Both seem like they would be perfect fits here

Because these "mid-major" kids stick around for four years and get better with each year. Let's count the mid-majors (ridiculous term these days) that won more games in the tournament than the Gophers this year:

Butler
Cornell
Northern Iowa
Gonzaga
Murray St.
St. Mary's
Old Dominion

I would've liked to have a few of those guys on the Gophers. What's wrong with looking for a diamond in the rough?

We need to bring in talent. There's certainly a few guys from these teams that could have helped the Gophers, but there is a huge difference between winning a few games in the NCAA tournament and winning consistently in the Big Ten. There's nothing wrong with looking for a diamond in the rough (or two), but they need to be surrounded by diamonds. I think we've filled our quota on diamonds in the rough this year.

Edit: Just to be clear, my opinion has nothing to do with the potential recruit, Josh Ogelsby, discussed initially. Intended to be a general comment on recruiting.

College Choices
School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by
Albany Medium Offered None
Arizona Medium None
Arizona State Medium Offered None
Boston College Medium None
Butler Medium None
Creighton Medium Offered None Darian DeVries
Illinois Medium None
Indiana Medium None
Indiana State Medium Offered None
Iowa Medium None
Iowa State Medium None
Kansas Medium None
Memphis Medium None
Michigan State Medium None
Minnesota Medium None
Nebraska Medium None
Northern Iowa Medium Offered None
Notre Dame Medium None
South Dakota State Medium Offered None
Tennessee Medium None
UCLA Medium None
USC Medium None
Wisconsin Medium None

Pump N Run Spring Classic 17U All Tournament Team (as selected by the media members in attendance)
Jarrod Uthoff- Iowa Barnstormers (MVP)
Josh Oglesby - Iowa Barnstormers
Jonah Travis - MN Pump N Run
Roosevelt Scott - MN Pump N Run
Bryan Sprang - MN Heat Black
Marcus Alipate - Wear Out the Net Gold
Nimrod Hilliard - NESYB
Marquealis Edwards - MN Fury Gold

http://tchoops.blogspot.com/

Butler
Cornell
Northern Iowa
Gonzaga
Murray St.
St. Mary's
Old Dominion

Great point.
Thank you.

I would think we will only have 2-3 scholarships for 2011, but obviously things could change. I would suspect we'll be looking at the MN kids first. Coleman, Travis and Moats....

The more I watch Coleman, the more I like him. Moats is yet another PF and Travis seems more interested in going somewhere else.

Thoughts on these guys???

Are there any Royce White (minus the baggage)/Sam Jacobson/Khalid El-Amin/Joel Przybilla/Cole Aldrich truly national-type talents (read: the biggest of big boys will want them) coming up the pike in Minnesota the next 2-3 years? We've gotta' get the truly elite ones from the state to stay home, something Brew hasn't been able to do (Floyd, Henderson, etc.) on the football side of things. We need the state's elite talent because percentages are we're not going to be in on the Cory Josephs of the world very often.

I would think we will only have 2-3 scholarships for 2011, but obviously things could change. I would suspect we'll be looking at the MN kids first. Coleman, Travis and Moats....

The more I watch Coleman, the more I like him. Moats is yet another PF and Travis seems more interested in going somewhere else.

Don't overlook the PG (Estan Tyler) from St Paul Johnson HS - his team won state championship in 2010. I'd think Gophers are interested in him, too.

College Choices
School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by
Albany Medium Offered None
Arizona Medium None
Arizona State Medium Offered None
Boston College Medium None
Butler Medium None
Creighton Medium Offered None Darian DeVries
Illinois Medium None
Indiana Medium None
Indiana State Medium Offered None
Iowa Medium None
Iowa State Medium None
Kansas Medium None
Memphis Medium None
Michigan State Medium None
Minnesota Medium None
Nebraska Medium None
Northern Iowa Medium Offered None
Notre Dame Medium None
South Dakota State Medium Offered None
Tennessee Medium None
UCLA Medium None
USC Medium None
Wisconsin Medium None

The "None" next to the school name means no scholarship offer. This exhaustive list only means this kid has cooperated with Rivals and passed along every university that so much as sent him a letter, which we all know doesn't necessarily mean there is mutual "Interest." 90 percent of kids that play Division II received a letter from a Division I school at some point. Just imagine how many Division I prospects get!

Don't overlook the PG (Estan Tyler) from St Paul Johnson HS - his team won state championship in 2010. I'd think Gophers are interested in him, too.

I forgot about Tyler. I haven't seen him play much, but does appear to be pretty talented. Maybe Coleman and Tyler would be the best fit since we seem to be short on guards.

Coleman, Tyler, Moats and either Travis would be a pretty good recruiting class. Obviously we will have 2-3 scholarships available.

As far as I am aware of, Coleman and Tyler already have offers, while the coaching staff is looking pretty hard at Moats. I thought i heard Moats got an offer but dont quote me there.

I dont know much about either Ross Travis or Jonah Travis, I think they are both SFs 6-6 or 6-7 but that is all i know.

IMO i would love to see a Tyler, Coleman, Moats recruiting class

Top Bottom