Josh Heupel to interview with Brew for OC position

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this link from the Tulsa World:

A source also confirmed that OU quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel flew to St. Paul on Thursday to interview for the offensive coordinator job at Minnesota. Heupel didn't reply to a text message. Heupel looked into the same job last year before Gophers coach Tim Brewster hired Jeff Fisch. Fisch resigned this week to work for Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...ectid=92&articleid=20100120_92_0_Oklaho822232

Go Gophers!!

It is true the man has no OC experience but he's only 31. Also he's from South Dakota and was a a pretty good college QB.

Age is of no relavance to coaching. We need someone who can actually coach and is a proven OC

No previous OC experience, not good

So you are a fan of Fisch? Because he has OC experience now. Experience as a coordinator is vastly overrated because someone has to hire someone as their first job or someone never has the "experience" to warrant their hiring.

A source also confirmed that OU quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel flew to St. Paul on Thursday to interview for the offensive coordinator job at Minnesota. Heupel didn't reply to a text message. Heupel looked into the same job last year before Gophers coach Tim Brewster hired Jeff Fisch. Fisch resigned this week to work for Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...ectid=92&articleid=20100120_92_0_Oklaho822232

Go Gophers!!

Did you mean to say he WILL fly in tomorrow? Tomorrow is Thursday. Or is he here now?

So you are a fan of Fisch? Because he has OC experience now. Experience as a coordinator is vastly overrated because someone has to hire someone as their first job or someone never has the "experience" to warrant their hiring.

True, but it doesn't have to and shouldn't be a BCS program.

True, but it doesn't have to and shouldn't be a BCS program.

The days of guys slowly working their way up through the smaller programs and proving themselves are long gone. You need to gamble on someone who you believe has "it" before someone else hires them and you never have another shot at that guy.

Heupel

I think the job was Heupel's last time around if he wanted it. Might be wrong. Probably makes him a lock this time. No?

The days of guys slowly working their way up through the smaller programs and proving themselves are long gone. You need to gamble on someone who you believe has "it" before someone else hires them and you never have another shot at that guy.

I guess Jim Tressel, Brian Kelly, Urban Meyer, etc... did not get this memo.

True, But I would like us to hire somone who has been a proven OC for the sake of some offensive stability in this program. I think it will also be important that the man can recruit too.

Does Heupel hold off on a decision if offered the job waiting to see if Kevin Wilson gets the head coaching job at ECU and then becomes the favorite for OC job at Oklahoma?

Heupel seems a little too green for our needs. Unfortunately he seems like just what Brew probably wants. I really don't want to watch another year of teeth cutting. Oh well.

Heupel seems a little too green for our needs. Unfortunately he seems like just what Brew probably wants. I really don't want to watch another year of teeth cutting. Oh well.
I'm with you, they tried that, the results weren't pretty, I'd prefer someone with some play calling experience.

There has been speculation that Heupel may be the new OC at Oklahoma if the current OC leaves. I suspect that if Heupel is talented enough to warrent consideration for the Oklahoma OC position, we should consider him here. With that being said, I would expect Heupel, with his ties to the Stoops brothers to be at Oklahoma or Arizona next year.

There has been speculation that Heupel may be the new OC at Oklahoma if the current OC leaves. I suspect that if Heupel is talented enough to warrent consideration for the Oklahoma OC position, we should consider him here. With that being said, I would expect Heupel, with his ties to the Stoops brothers to be at Oklahoma or Arizona next year.

+1

Heupel was one of the three choices last year. If he really IS coming up here I hope that it's to finalize a contract and only for that reason. If it isn't forget it. He's a Stoops guy. Remember when Stoops fly up for the Gopher job? He left his wife at the Mall of America and his interview was "perfunctory" at best.

Heupel may have other opportunities. If he hasn't said yes to the Gophers send him elsewhere. Don't let another guy say " They offered, but it was beneath me."

Very interesting article from the tulsa paper....stoops has had 5 different offensive coordinators in his 12 years at Oklahoma. I wonder if their fan base realize, unlike ours, that if you bring in good people they typically are going to move onto better paying and better jobs sooner rather than later. Brew is damned if he does damned if he don't.

I guess Jim Tressel, Brian Kelly, Urban Meyer, etc... did not get this memo.

Clearly, coaches moving up through the ranks as head coaches is analogous to coaches moving up through the ranks as position coaches.

Good job entirely missing the point.

Heupel and I share a mutual friend, as we all grew up in Aberdeen.

Rumor is that he's more open to the Minnesota job this year than last because of the fact that Stoops may be looking around at other opportunities more than he has in past years. Heupel turned it down last year because he figured he'd eventually get the OC job at Oklahoma, assuming Stoops was going to be there long-term. Now that it looks as if Stoops may be on his way out in the next year or two, he is probably looking to move up to an OC job before the chance at Oklahoma is taken away from him.

I had heard last year that him being our OC was a done deal, so take this for what it's worth. If Minnesota offers him the job, he'll take it. Or, like last year, he may not. It's all speculative at this point.

I think the job was Heupel's last time around if he wanted it. Might be wrong. Probably makes him a lock this time. No?

I have the same impression, but could easily be wrong.

We already did. His name is Brewster!

Go Gophers!!

He'd be a great get, and if I recall was the original killshot hire Brewster talked about last year, either him or Applewhite.

Everything I read on him last year was positive. He even grew up emulating a Gopher great in the backyard. I also think he would be able to mix in spread with a power run attack like we had hoped for this year.

While I can't say anything about his coaching ability I do understand that he's a person of great character. I have worked with people that grew up with him and remained close to him during his time at OU - they have nothing but great things to say about his work ethic, the way he treats players/teammates, and the way he carries himself both professionally and personally. Perhaps he could be a positive influence to some of these youngsters.

True, But I would like us to hire somone who has been a proven OC for the sake of some offensive stability in this program. I think it will also be important that the man can recruit too.

I would tend to agree a little but our case is different. How about if we hire someone who will stay longer than 9 months on the job. I also think being a former QB as a player and QB coach for a high-profile program is experience I would take in a heartbeat, especially if he is from an area like SoDak that is close.

hey dpo, someone in another thread mentioned that Heupel is a d bag. With your connection to him, do you know anything about his alleged d bag-ness? I'd rather keep those types off the team.

Top Bottom