JOSEPH GET BACK TO THE BENCH!!!!

yeah he had a bad game, and messed with the chemistry offensively, but it's only one game and will help us in the long run. We will still probably be 11-1 going into conference play.

Funny - I don't think Al would have made a difference.

Could be a good thing - bring the guys back to earth.

Agreed, and you would have thought he would have had a shorter leash just coming off the suspension, he needs to really need to learn how to D up.

This is exactly what i feared would happen once he got in. Try to make up for lost time and mess up the chemistry we established that helped us beat UNC, WVA, and get the ranking we had.

Al definately would have helped us tonite, but we need devoe eventually. Lets be reasonable, he played poorly, but he is going to be our most dynamic scorer for most of the season. He go us in the tourney last year, and its good he is getting his garbage out now. We need him for B10 play

Joseph doesn't play D. Handles the ball with his head down. Stands around a ridiculous amount of time when he doesn't have the ball in his hand. Plus, he always seems to bring the half-court offense to a screeching halt when he is in the game.

I know he can fill it up time to time, but I'm just not a fan. Get back soon Al.

Who was manning the clock tonight: Dr. Don or Foster Brooks?

pathetic, and took away from our momentum in the first half

I don't know why everyone thinks that Devoe was somehow the reason for our loss. Obviously Al's perimeter defense would've helped, but it wasn't Devoe giving up every 3 or something. He really wasn't that bad. He had to jack up threes at the end when the game was basically out of reach. How about spreading the blame to Sampson and Iverson's pathetic defense/rebound/all around effort. And Chip and Hollins gave up a ton of wide open threes. People just love to switch off complaining about our pg play.

hoff, iverson, and hollins are why we lost tonight! blake and hollins didnt play any defense tonight! devoe played good D but probably took too many risks for steals. but the help defense was brutal, hollins was always late and blake couldnt get through any picks. as for iverson i dont have the time to bitch about his defense tonight!

No one was closing out on shooters. Period. everyone was late getting there, not staying on their feet, and overall playing lost on D. It wasn't Devoe. He did seem tired in the second half (lots of shots coming up short) but any ACC team if u give them wide open 3's will probably shoot it like UVA did tonight. Gophers as a team, except maybe Mbakwe, came out flat and lazy when they got the big lead thinking they could just pack it in and theyd win. Virgina proved otherwise. Just gotta put the loss behind em, can't change it now, and focus on Cornell.

Really? Hoff is one of the 3 players who lost us the game and not Ralph? Regardless of how sucky Hoffarber's defense was, he scored 19 points extremely efficiently and had 5 assists. He couldn't have been outscored that badly.

hoff, iverson, and hollins are why we lost tonight! blake and hollins didnt play any defense tonight! devoe played good D but probably took too many risks for steals. but the help defense was brutal, hollins was always late and blake couldnt get through any picks. as for iverson i dont have the time to bitch about his defense tonight!

They started 9/10 from three and went 25/30 from the ft line. Let any ACC team shoot 13 uncontested threes and 30 fts in practice and it's highly unlikely they shoot as well as Virginia did. Maybe fts if their best shooters take them, but not threes and fts.

] any ACC team if u give them wide open 3's will probably shoot it like UVA did tonight.

Really? Hoff is one of the 3 players who lost us the game and not Ralph? Regardless of how sucky Hoffarber's defense was, he scored 19 points extremely efficiently and had 5 assists. He couldn't have been outscored that badly.

exactly what I hoped someone would post! devoes numbers were similar to blake's and yet devoe is the problem? get real!

exactly what I hoped someone would post! devoes numbers were similar to blake's and yet devoe is the problem? get real!
Wrong.

Hoffarber: 19 pts, 5 rebs, 5 assists, 2 steals
Joseph: 16 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 0 steals

Looking at pts, rebs, assists, steals, that's about a 10-15 pt difference in contribution, including a totally different feel on offense when the ball is in Hoffarber's hands vs. Joseph's.

Seriously lakesgopher, watching that game last night, even you can admit that our offense had an entirely different feel in the 2nd half with Joseph dribbling around and jacking those shots compared to our flow/chemistry offensively in the previous 6 games with Nolen & Hoffarber switching off at the PG?

Devoe was only a very minor reason for the loss. Shooting percentage from the field(due to poor shot selection) and from the free throw line for both teams and rebounding are the main reasons for the loss. Al is better at pushing the ball up the court though and plays seem to develop better with him. Our half court offense struggles a bit with Devoe but that shouldn't force us to take poor shots.

I'll take what we have seen from Devoe before (BT tourney last year) and not spazz because of one lackluster game.

I'll take what we have seen from Devoe before (BT tourney last year) and not spazz because of one lackluster game.
Partially agree.

However, you have to look at our team this year compared to last year.

Unlike last year, we have improved players that can put the ball in the bucket. Westbrook and Joseph were really our only options in the Big 10 tourney to go 1 on 1.

This year, we have Mbakwe that can take his man whenever he wants, Iverson has improved greatly in the post, Sampson has developed a few more moves, Hoffarber has developed a mid-range game, Armelin can hit some shots, and Williams has started to take the ball to the bucket.

Bottom-line, we don't need the all-or-nothing offense of Joseph jacking a bunch of ill-timed shots (many that went in during the Big 10 tourney), because our players are better, including the addition of Mbakwe.

Plus, if Joseph isn't hitting those bad shots (like the 2nd half last night), our entire offensive flow falls apart, sputters, and makes everyone play extremely tight. Thus, although Joseph is continuing to shoot the shots he did last year, we are a DIFFERENT team this year, with a greatly improved offensive identity. The coaches need to recognize this, as does Joseph.

Wrong.

Hoffarber: 19 pts, 5 rebs, 5 assists, 2 steals
Joseph: 16 pts, 1 reb, 2 assists, 0 steals

Looking at pts, rebs, assists, steals, that's about a 10-15 pt difference in contribution, including a totally different feel on offense when the ball is in Hoffarber's hands vs. Joseph's.

Seriously lakesgopher, watching that game last night, even you can admit that our offense had an entirely different feel in the 2nd half with Joseph dribbling around and jacking those shots compared to our flow/chemistry offensively in the previous 6 games with Nolen & Hoffarber switching off at the PG?

I'm confused....devoe didn't play as many minutes and was short on a few boards and assists and devoe played like *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# but golden boy played solid? devoe's first game back and has nearly the stats blake has. hoff gets the same treatment that joe mauer gets, and it is unreal! the offense looked bad because sampson and iverson both played like crap-usually its just one or the other!

btw, I don't think anyone but mbakwe played great! but it annoys the hell out of me when guys like nolen or devoe get ripped and blake doesn't. and blake played the worst perimeter defense of the entire night! replay the game and you will see how lazy he was!

mbakwe

I thought he played a poor defensive game. He seemed to often be chasing a guy who was wide open for a shot. Kind of an all around blah game for everyone.

but it annoys the hell out of me when guys like nolen or devoe get ripped and blake doesn't. and blake played the worst perimeter defense of the entire night! replay the game and you will see how lazy he was!
Don't know if you haven't read the other numerous threads, but Hoffarber was ripped in a number of them for his perimeter defense.

And I have to agree with a lot of the criticism for not only him, but all of our guards. However, I don't think it was laziness...part of the problem with all of our guards not finding shooters was our team defense: if you replay the game, our big men really didn't "show" on any post-to-perimeter screen. The VA guards were simply running off of screens for open looks.

Our posts need to do a better job of "showing" (or extending their arms, guarding against the curl cut to allow our guards to catch up from around the screen), which they didn't do at all last night. It wasn't just Hoffarber; Joseph, Hollins, Armelin, Ahamnisi, all of them were late in getting around the screens and weren't getting any help from our bigs.

I'm not that worried about it, because that is something that can be coached quite easily.

Again, I'm not talking about just defense; I was mostly addressing our offense with Joseph at the helm.

guys like nolen or devoe get ripped and blake doesn't.

Well, I started getting worried when Virginia hit their first 3-pointer and I noticed that Hof was guarding the guy who hit it. I knew if they kept Hof on him it would be trouble for us (just like it was in the previous game where the guy Hof was guarding had the hot hand until Tubby switched Nolen over on him).

Not good enough?

Not good enough?

No, I see the issue he had, because the criticisms are different. We are currently posting in an all capped thread about benching Devoe in his first game back calling him the sole reason we lost and without him we would have won huge.

When people criticize Blake, it is never the way they talk about others!

I love Blake as a player and I love Devoe on this team. While other players are attacked like Joseph in this very thread, Blake is talked about with constructive critisicm and level-headed comments usually. Blake played awful defense tonight, which is rare even for him to play that poorly on D. I am not saying lets increase the attack on Blake at all, but lets talk about Devoe in the same sense, instead of "BENCH HIM NOW TUBBY!!!! HE'S RUINING OUR TEAM! HE SUCKS! #^%%*(&)(*&%%#$%@^&*^*)(&*_)())__(**(&%%$!!!!!! That's just dumb.

Who was manning the clock tonight: Dr. Don or Foster Brooks?

Don't blame Foster bbbbbrrrrooooooks for thtthththtissssssh. Blame me??? Go ahead, have a beer.

Devoe played poor perimeter defense (as did Hollins, Chip, Blake) his shot selection and lack of getting Mbakwe or anyone else the ball was very hard to watch.

Identity theft

I see Devoe decided to come out wearing Damian Johnson's #34 this year. By the looks of last night's offensive performance, maybe he should've pulled Lawrence Westbrook's #20 off the shelf instead. All offensive flow was gone when Devoe decided to "take over" by playing 1 on 5 and completely ignoring his teammates and the half-court offense. Yes, he has the ability to create points on his own, but it can't be every time down the floor. Gut feeling is he was trying to make up for sitting and wanted to prove that he's deserving of being labeled the best offensive player on the team. It'll be much better against Cornell. Tubby should have all ears in practice now.

Hahaha, nice try buddy. I never said Devoe was the problem. In fact, I defended Devoe all over the forum. Better luck next time.

Get some facts right. Blake has been ripped all over the board. And the reason Devoe may be getting ripped more (although they seem pretty similar) is because he plays much more selfishly by dribbling around forever and then shooting before making any passes. Blake is the best passer on the team and extremely unselfish.

I'm confused....devoe didn't play as many minutes and was short on a few boards and assists and devoe played like *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# but golden boy played solid? devoe's first game back and has nearly the stats blake has. hoff gets the same treatment that joe mauer gets, and it is unreal! the offense looked bad because sampson and iverson both played like crap-usually its just one or the other!

btw, I don't think anyone but mbakwe played great! but it annoys the hell out of me when guys like nolen or devoe get ripped and blake doesn't. and blake played the worst perimeter defense of the entire night! replay the game and you will see how lazy he was!

Top Bottom