Jordan Nubin & Mo Ibrahim

Willwin40

Reaction score
I find it very noticeable that Nubin and Ibrahim have many similarities. About the same size, Nubin is slightly taller. They both see the holes and run very hard. Taylor, Evans and Nubin are the pair and the spare. Maybe they should go with two running backs especially when they're not going to pass very much like they did with Maroney and Barber.

I think my eyes really opened for Mo during the bowl game against Georgia Tech. Looked it up and he ran for 224 yards that game. Plus, that was Big Dan's famous pancake of that hapless GT defender.

Would very much like to see a similar trajectory for the new kid...

I find it very noticeable that Nubin and Ibrahim have many similarities. About the same size, Nubin is slightly taller. They both see the holes and run very hard. Taylor, Evans and Nubin are the pair and the spare. Maybe they should go with two running backs especially when they're not going to pass very much like they did with Maroney and Barber.
I can see what you're saying and at points I agree with you. Where Mo was different for me, and it's hard to quantify, is that Mo just looked like he would be an awful time to tackle - like a bowling ball with razorblades. People much larger than him looked uncomfortable dealing with Mo. I'm not sure Nubin has that but maybe.

He is compact and touch and he runs hard.

I think my eyes really opened for Mo during the bowl game against Georgia Tech. Looked it up and he ran for 224 yards that game. Plus, that was Big Dan's famous pancake of that hapless GT defender.

Would very much like to see a similar trajectory for the new kid...
I wouldn't. Much rather see three backs running with fresh legs every game given all three have similar abilities such as demonstrated this year by Taylor, Evans, and Jordan Nubin.

Taking nothing from Mo because he did it for a long time, but for a one-game sample I don't think I have ever seen a Gopher back protect his QB better than Nubin did last week.
Hear, hear!

Do we now have our "pair and a spare" when they are all healthy? And if Sean Tyler ever gets a handle (no pun intended) on his fumbling issues, we'd even have a speed back for some special packages to throw at people on occasion to keep them off balance.

The running styles are similar. I thought Nubin showed really good patience, had great vision and hit the hole with power and purpose. Like Mo he was often square to the tackler, making it much harder for the defender to gain any leverage. Defenders get tired of having to tackle guys that dish it out like Nubin and Mo.

Do we now have our "pair and a spare" when they are all healthy? And if Sean Tyler ever gets a handle (no pun intended) on his fumbling issues, we'd even have a speed back for some special packages to throw at people on occasion to keep them off balance.
Wonder what percentage of guys who fumble overcome it?

We will have a pair and a spare over the winter when grand plans are laid for next season. Right now if we have a spare pair or anyone at all is based on injury or health.

Wonder what percentage of guys who fumble overcome it?
Don't think it's a mental thing he can get over like fear of heights or putting yips. He's a small guy and not that strong. Running between the tackles he is getting pounded by much larger and stronger young men.

He could still help us here or there as a receiver out of the backfield. He is dangerous with the ball in space. But this option is limited too because when he lines up at running back he needs to be a credible threat to run it and he has to be able to pass block.

Once Evans and Taylor get healthy I would like to see this Gopher team replicate the teams that had Mo as well as Rodney Sethemith and Shannon Brooks at full efficiency. Those different running styles were very effective together.

Once Evans and Taylor get healthy I would like to see this Gopher team replicate the teams that had Mo as well as Rodney Sethemith and Shannon Brooks at full efficiency. Those different running styles were very effective together.
Rodney Smith. I've got the thick fingers going

I wouldn't. Much rather see three backs running with fresh legs every game given all three have similar abilities such as demonstrated this year by Taylor, Evans, and Jordan Nubin.
Can't disagree. Maybe a better way to say it is I hope J. Nubin proves to be as impactful a player as Mo did along with a stable of other similarly capable backs.

No doubt Mo filled a vacuum and then some. I'd guess we both agree we'd rather not have a repeat of the greater vacuum for the next several years.

That offered, I'd like Jordan to reach Mo's level of competence but hopefully not the same carry records.:D

Nubin is really pretty amazing since I read he wasn't a running back in high school and his first year as a gopher.

Taking nothing from Mo because he did it for a long time, but for a one-game sample I don't think I have ever seen a Gopher back protect his QB better than Nubin did last week.
A back that can block is a valuable commodity. Jordan got his chance to prove himself, and he put the pedal to the meddle. It takes injuries to get a chance sometimes.

Can't disagree. Maybe a better way to say it is I hope J. Nubin proves to be as impactful a player as Mo did along with a stable of other similarly capable backs.

No doubt Mo filled a vacuum and then some. I'd guess we both agree we'd rather not have a repeat of the greater vacuum for the next several years.

That offered, I'd like Jordan to reach Mo's level of competence but hopefully not the same carry records.:D
Neither of us would want to take the opportunity for greatness away from Jordan. I am simply looking at what gives us the best chance to win. A guy carrying 35-40 times a game and clutching his hamstring on the sidelines in the last few minutes (Taylor/NW) or three and at least two really strong backs trading off with no letdown in production.

Fleck had Evans fresh in the 4th quarter at NW. He refused to use him when Taylor was done, going with Tyler instead. That cost us a Big Ten win.

Stress the defense with a run/pass balance and rotate strong, healthy, and fresh RBs. It’s a winning combination.

If those three guys are healthy, I don’t see how Tyler sees the field

His blocking was just as impressive. Took some major hits and kept on truckin. Very Mo-like.
I instantly noticed that, and was extremely Impressed.

Where will he fit in a room with Evans and Taylor...that is the question.
He has earned the right to get more touches, and if Taylor is still injured, I'd split carries with Evans and see what he can do in another game.

They are using Tyler all wrong.

The pass that got called back is the way forward with him.

They are using Tyler all wrong.

The pass that got called back is the way forward with him.
Absolutely, that's his best and for practical purposes only useage. Not easy to set up because if they throw it every time he is on the field, that becomes what defensive coaches call a "tendency". They won't let it happen.

He will need to take at least a few handoffs to set up the flat pass. That is probably worth the risk out around mid field.

Thank you, Jordan Nubin! This has been an amazing season for Jordan. Former walk-on DB turned RB. Has has now started several games, playing as our only "available" RB in some. His durability is really on display--he is there every series; he handles the ball a lot but doesn't fumble; he is a good blocker on passing downs. Think where the Gophers would be without Jordan's emergence as an everyday player. Bryce Williams out for the year several games ago. Darius Taylor has been out for weeks as well, maybe the season. Zach Evans, when he can play, seems to be injured early in every game, having to exit. Sean Tyler has fumblitis and is simply too easy to bring down for the knife-fight-inside a-phone-booth rushing attack the Gophers play; even LeCaptain has been unavailable this year (injury). That means our #5 RB not only has to start, but he has to be on the field for almost every play; virtually no rotation.

Injuries have decimated our LB corps this year, and the effect has been very noticeable. Guys being put into critical positions before they are fully ready. Our offensive backfield is in the same position as our LB corps, injury-wise. But the fall-off hasn't been as noticeable, because of Jordan. It would be nice if we had a one-two punch at RB available for the Badger finale, but if not, in Jordan we trust.

Nice post. That is one thing to be thankful for. Jordan fighting on and doing a good job at it. Not just showing up and flopping, he's been pretty good.

Top Bottom