Jordan Brand Classic Day One - Royce White

Blizzard

Reaction score
Nice little blurb about Royce at the end of the article -

Minnesota commit Royce White really came out strong today, looking like he had a real chip on his shoulder, making shots from the perimeter, coming up with a couple of steals, crashing the offensive glass hard, and overall looking very impressive with his size and athleticism as a legit 6-7 small forward. He needs to improve his ball-handling skills, but he looks like quite a find for Tubby Smith from the little we saw today.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jordan-Brand-Classic-Day-One-3186/

An honest question

When kids like Royce & Rodney are traveling all over the place to play in these things, how much school are they missing? Are their travel costs paid for? I sometimes wonder how recruits families can afford all this stuff. And in some cases, is it really in their best interests not to be hunkering down in the classroom for their final semester as they prepare for the rigors of college?

When kids like Royce & Rodney are traveling all over the place to play in these things, how much school are they missing? Are their travel costs paid for? I sometimes wonder how recruits families can afford all this stuff. And in some cases, is it really in their best interests not to be hunkering down in the classroom for their final semester as they prepare for the rigors of college?

Are you serious? It's a freaking weekend dude! When I was a senior in HS, the last 2 months were the easiest in all 4 years. These guys will gain valuable experience by playing with the best. And make no mistake about it, all these players will someday be getting paid to play.

Are their travel costs paid for? And in some cases, is it really in their best interests not to be hunkering down in the classroom for their final semester as they prepare for the rigors of college?
1. Yes, they are paid for.
2. You must not recall spring semester of your senior year too well :p

Yes, I'm serious, that's why I asked. But thanks for asking. Are you aware that sometimes even "weekend trips" require getting out of dodge a little early, perhaps an early departure from school on a Friday? I doubt these kids are showing up on Saturday morning and lacing up their sneakers saying, "OK, I'm ready to go."

In case you didn't get my drift, I'll spell it out for you. ... perhaps some of these kids who have already committed to their schools (the ones at-risk academically, whoever they are) would be better served keeping their nose to the grindstone to ensure they'll be eligible to play for their chosen school the next season, as opposed to running around the country? A novel suggestion in these times, I know.

SelectionSunday:
I totally respect and think highly of most of your posts and toughts on this board. But I gotta say, your post here is a bit too alarmist. Involved High Schoolers miss a ton of school on band trips, sports trips, leadership retreats, college visits, family vacations, etc.... I'm pretty sure I signed up for almost every out-of-school event when I was a senior in HS so many moons ago.

While I'm sure it would help certain kids academically to not miss school occassionally, the same could be said that some kids would do better in school if they didn't spend any time involved in any sports/activities. By assuming that Royce/Rodney might be better off not going to these camps and staying at school assumes that they are in trouble academically, which I don't believe any of us really knows.

Minnesota commit Royce White really came out strong today, looking like he had a real chip on his shoulder, making shots from the perimeter, coming up with a couple of steals, crashing the offensive glass hard, and overall looking very impressive with his size and athleticism as a legit 6-7 small forward. He needs to improve his ball-handling skills, but he looks like quite a find for Tubby Smith from the little we saw today.

This is great news. Tubby is missing a player with a second gear. Bobby Jackson had it, Voshon Lenard had it, Willie Burton had it. They could all elevate their game as needed. Maybe Royce needs a year or two to be the team's big stud, but it is great to know that he can take his game to another level.

Voshon

I would not put Voshon into the same category as Bobby Jackson or Willie Burton. One of my most vivid memories of Voshon is of him passing up the last shot in the second round of NCAA's against Louisville. As the team's go to player, he has to take that shot. If memory serves, the Gophers largely underperformed during his tenure. Bobby and Willie elevated the team in their tenures. Voshon was a great shooter, true, but did not have the "it" factor of the other two.

My senior year of high school I only had four hours of classes. The last month of my senior year I had 1 class (an Advanced weight lifting course/P.E. for athletes) and "graduation" practice. I was barely there. I could have taken early graduation in December but I enjoyed the free flowing nature of my second semester i.e. sleep in, show up when I wanted to and enjoy the benefits of being a senior.

I would share some stories but there are probably children who read this forum and I don't want to give any of the impressionable youth out there ideas.

My senior year of high school I only had four hours of classes. The last month of my senior year I had 1 class (an Advanced weight lifting course/P.E. for athletes) and "graduation" practice. I was barely there. I could have taken early graduation in December but I enjoyed the free flowing nature of my second semester i.e. sleep in, show up when I wanted to and enjoy the benefits of being a senior.

I would share some stories but there are probably children who read this forum and I don't want to give any of the impressionable youth out there ideas.

4 hours? That's AP (Advanced Placement) schedule in Kentucky HS.

Top Bottom