Johnson on whether he's a risky hire: "I know I'm the perfect fit for Minnesota."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per RandBall:

On whether he considers himself to be a risky hire: "I think there's a risk in everything. I think if certain guys were home runs, it wouldn't be college basketball. I'm smart enough to know that this is hard. And I get it. I'm humbled enough to know this is hard and I'm very fortunate. I'm also confident in who I've prepared under. I'm confident in my abilities as a coach. … It's all about fit. I know I'm the perfect fit for Minnesota. I'm comfortable recruiting here. I'm comfortable knowing what this program means and what the tradition stands for. With that, sometimes you have to bet on yourself. I'm very thankful that Mark Coyle quote-unquote did take a chance on me."

Go Gophers!!

Conf
per RandBall:

On whether he considers himself to be a risky hire: "I think there's a risk in everything. I think if certain guys were home runs, it wouldn't be college basketball. I'm smart enough to know that this is hard. And I get it. I'm humbled enough to know this is hard and I'm very fortunate. I'm also confident in who I've prepared under. I'm confident in my abilities as a coach. … It's all about fit. I know I'm the perfect fit for Minnesota. I'm comfortable recruiting here. I'm comfortable knowing what this program means and what the tradition stands for. With that, sometimes you have to bet on yourself. I'm very thankful that Mark Coyle quote-unquote did take a chance on me."

Go Gophers!!
Confident, but not cocky - I'm good with that approach.

He’s probably right that it’s “all about fit,” perhaps more so than just plugging in a previously successful coach. In the NBA, some franchises/players require a Phil Jackson, others require a Gregg Popovich. Let’s hope he’s the right fit.

After coming down from the ledge and analyzing this hire, I think I get it.
This is an ideology hire. He didn't hire Ben Johnson, he hired the idea of "Mr. Minnesota" as coach. 8 years ago, I believe Coyle (if he was the AD) would have tried to hire Flip instead of Pitino. From Minnesota, played for Minnesota, coached for Minnesota, knows all the AAU/High school coaches, etc...Ben Johnson just happened to be the most Minnesota available. There is no way Coyle, or any high major would have hired him based on a blind resume
There are two ways to put butts in the seats here. 1. Win or 2. have a roster full of Minnesota players. Coyle put all his eggs in #2 in hopes that it would also produce #1

After coming down from the ledge and analyzing this hire, I think I get it.
This is an ideology hire. He didn't hire Ben Johnson, he hired the idea of "Mr. Minnesota" as coach. 8 years ago, I believe Coyle (if he was the AD) would have tried to hire Flip instead of Pitino. From Minnesota, played for Minnesota, coached for Minnesota, knows all the AAU/High school coaches, etc...Ben Johnson just happened to be the most Minnesota available. There is no way Coyle, or any high major would have hired him based on a blind resume
There are two ways to put butts in the seats here. 1. Win or 2. have a roster full of Minnesota players. Coyle put all his eggs in #2 in hopes that it would also produce #1
Disagree with your last paragraph. A team full of Minnesota players who don't win will not put butts in seats.

Top Bottom