Johnny, please give a status on recruiting..

vaporboy

Patiently waiting in Pasadena
Reaction score
I don't think I'm the only one wondering what's really up with the 2010 class. This is usually the time of your where you have a few good kernels of info. Thanks in advance.

They have 3 scholarships.

They've offered to Elliott and another another guard from Memphis (name escapes me). They're going to be bringing in another guard for a visit in a few weeks.

I've got no inside info, but from what I've gathered...

They want a big man, a wing and a PG or combo guard.

For big men, it looks like Elliason and Kirk are their 2 targets. Elliason was in town for the weekend, Tubby has visited Kirk several times. Elliason seems more likely. Calcaterra is a possible last resort, though I don't know if they would even offer him over banking a scholorship and going harder after bigs in 2011.

For wings, there was a rumor that we may be one of the last schools Trey Zeigler is considering. He's a top 50 type guy and would be a huge get, though I'll wait til he comes for a visit before I get too excited. They're also looking at Moses Morgan and Austin Hollins as possibilities, both are solid 3-star type guys.

For a guard, they keep saying that they're looking at McCallum, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it's likely. Option #1 seems to be Trevor Releford. They'd love it if Jacob Thomas got eligible, but that's been sounding unlikely lately. I have no idea who the fall backs are here.

I'd love to hear what JG or anyone else more in the know has to say, but I think that's a pretty good run-down of the relatively available information.

Johnny has mentioned several times that he believes the Gophers have cooled on Zeigler.

I don't know what the deal is with Eliason, as I believe the Gophers cooled on him for a time, but are clearly interested now.

It seems like they are actively recruiitng some bigger guards who can hit the outside jumper.

Johnny has mentioned several times that he believes the Gophers have cooled on Zeigler.

I don't know what the deal is with Eliason, as I believe the Gophers cooled on him for a time, but are clearly interested now.

It seems like they are actively recruiitng some bigger guards who can hit the outside jumper.

6-5 Frank Williams of Raytown MO is a another possibility at 2/3 (wing) spot.

I knew the football team to settle for 3-star recruits, but when did basketball?

I knew the football team to settle for 3-star recruits, but when did basketball?

Many a 3-star basketball recruit has made All-America team(s) in recent years. Stephon Curry is ONE recent example. There are plenty of others.

3-star recruits are usually among the Top 75 to 150 recruits in a particular class.

Sorry about that, it's been a pretty busy and crazy summer/fall so I haven't had alot of time to spend online and haven't spent as much time talking to people who would know some of this stuff. Information is hard to get out of Tubby and co. at times and they tend to change there minds pretty quick on some kids. Ziegler is one example, the last update I had from about three weeks ago was that they didn't think he was good enough and we're moving in another direction, yet he continues to list MN. The Ellison visit went well but we had alot of ground to make up over Stanford. They believe it is down to MN and Stanford with the Cardinal holding the edge at the moment. Did we do enough to flip him, hard to say as I guess he's a difficult kid to read. Kirk is still a longshot so next in line would be Krueser. I still hear good things on McCallum but it doesn't seem to match up with what you read in most stories on him. On Frank williams visit, don't hold your breath, far from a done deal.

Another younger kid to watch is Chaska jr. Ross Travis, who was at the football game and it looks like an offer may be coming for him this fall.

Many a 3-star basketball recruit has made All-America team(s) in recent years. Stephon Curry is ONE recent example. There are plenty of others.

3-star recruits are usually among the Top 75 to 150 recruits in a particular class.

I understand, but this program needs to strive for bigger and better things. Do you think Illinois, Michigan State and Purdue are settling for 3-star talent and rationalizing about what type of talent they may become in college? Think what you want to about the star-grading system, but it's just a FACT that 4 and 5-star prospects have better college careers across the board.

Haven't been to able to confirm it 100% but sounds like calcaterra has committed to CSU

I understand, but this program needs to strive for bigger and better things. Do you think Illinois, Michigan State and Purdue are settling for 3-star talent and rationalizing about what type of talent they may become in college? Think what you want to about the star-grading system, but it's just a FACT that 4 and 5-star prospects have better college careers across the board.

Co-sign

I think the best teams generally blend 3-star, 4-star, and 5-star recruits.

Tubby's best UK team was (1998) was such a blend. Just one 5-star recruit (Turner). A few 4-star recruits (Anthony, Edwards, Bradley) but the rest were 3-star or even 2-star recruits.

Top Bottom