John Shipley: Gophers have to plug noses, swallow Pitino buyout

Who the hell is John Shipley?

Basically he's Myron Medcalf, except apparently from Iowa instead of Wisconsin.

So in other words, a jealous moron. This isn't the first time Shipley has written something dumb and illogical about U athletics. And as the tweet copied by EG9 indicates, he's more of a ranting fan than a professional journalist.

Gopher fans have to plug noses and read crap like this . It's "journalism" like this that is dooming daily newspapers much more than the impact of other technology.

Shipley...

Yaddy, yaddy, BS. Apparently, he is trying to gain interest in himself and his paper by "stirring the pot", with no consideration of the ramifications. Does he know of a donor that would step up and pay Pitino's buyout? If not, the administration & AD are not going to just swallow it... especially 1 day into the job... Just another off the wall reporter...

In one thread. We are mad the coach spend $325k on travel. In this thread. We are mad the U won't spend $7.1m to fire said coach.

I'm confused.

Twins fans do it all the time. You don't spend enough money! I can't believe we're stuck paying this stiff so much money!

You will suffer most if we win.

The real question is how high is the bar now? I don't think 7-11 and an NIT birth will save him. And I'm not sure anything more is realistic.

The real question is how high is the bar now? I don't think 7-11 and an NIT birth will save him. And I'm not sure anything more is realistic.

I think it will depend how you get to that point. Is the team constantly improving throughout the year and they just lost some tough games early on, or were they just mediocre to bad all the way through?

"The Bar" is not in a fixed setting when it comes to a sports team. How many guys got hurt? How many off the court problems were there? How close were the losses? How many wins were there? What is the overall mood of the team and the fans? Who are the new recruits? How are they doing in the classroom? How good does the A.D. anticipate they'll be the next year? What pieces are in place to take a jump forward?
Lots of variables...he could get fired at 9 and 9 or stay at 6 and 12...depends on circumstances. Only time can answer, not some artificial number.

Gopher fans have to plug noses and read crap like this . It's "journalism" like this that is dooming daily newspapers much more than the impact of other technology.

Nah it's still technology. Now the newspapers don't have enough money to pay real reporters, so we end up with the hacks we see now.

"The Bar" is not in a fixed setting when it comes to a sports team. How many guys got hurt? How many off the court problems were there? How close were the losses? How many wins were there? What is the overall mood of the team and the fans? Who are the new recruits? How are they doing in the classroom? How good does the A.D. anticipate they'll be the next year? What pieces are in place to take a jump forward?
Lots of variables...he could get fired at 9 and 9 or stay at 6 and 12...depends on circumstances. Only time can answer, not some artificial number.

Agreed, I think it's also important to look at the roster and analyze where this group should peak, they can take a big jump and still finish 8-10, but if they only lose Buggs and Springs and bring in a couple of those stud in state recruits to go with an already experience 2018 squad, the AD may be more inclined to keep him around. I also think he could go 9-9 next year, keep his job and if he had the same record, he could get the axe for underachieving in year five. A lot of ways this could play out. He could very well start out slow next year and lose his job mid season has well. hell our hockey coach could win his 6th straight conference and be shown the door. It's definitely not going to be boring here next year. I do hope Coyle doesn't let campus PD putz around with the Lynch case, the victim, the accused and the University deserve a timely answer, if they don't decide something by late October I hope he puts the heat on them, unlike Maturi who let them putz around with Royce White

Twins fans do it all the time. You don't spend enough money! I can't believe we're stuck paying this stiff so much money!

Still don't understand the concept of allocation of scarce resources, eh?

It's pretty simple, this year is win or else for Pitino. The team has gone 8-10, 6-12, 2-16 in the big ten under him. Can anyone imagine him staying if he goes 6-12 or worse next year?

Top Bottom