John Shipley: Gophers have to plug noses, swallow Pitino buyout

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

The University of Minnesota has finally hired an athletics director, but we’re not done with Norwood Teague quite yet. The first order of business for Mark Coyle will be to hold his nose and trigger a buyout on Richard Pitino’s contract that currently sits at $5.7 million.

Gophers fans can thank Teague for that parting gift.

It’s one final kick in the shins from Coyle’s predecessor, who resigned in disgrace after drunkenly harassing two peers on a senior leadership retreat last July. It wasn’t enough for Teague to fire reasonably successful Tubby Smith and replace him with a cipher; just before sneaking out the back door, he raised Pitino’s salary by $400,000 a year and extended his deal through 2021.

John Popper, who plays harmonica for Blues Traveler, was once asked if his intense style ever resulted in him, uh, vomiting. When he answered affirmatively, he was asked how he would keep playing.

“Sometimes,” he said, “you just have to swallow the chunks.”

When it comes to Pitino and his ridiculous buyout, the U’s elders are just going to have to swallow the chunks, and they can thank their former AD for the bad taste in their mouths.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/1...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1463012762

Go Gophers!!

In one thread. We are mad the coach spend $325k on travel. In this thread. We are mad the U won't spend $7.1m to fire said coach.

I'm confused.

I'm also assuming Pitino won't be all that upset about being fired when he's cashing $7.1m. At least I wouldn't be.

Very premature. We're in for another year for sure. No reason to go headhunting now.

Very premature. We're in for another year for sure. No reason to go headhunting now.

Agreed, we should be in for one more to see. And, Remember, Beth and Kaler approved that buyout.

Kaler may have hired his hit man today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To go through all this crap and not see what happens this upcoming season would be foolish IMO. If team fails Pitino will be fired and the new AD can have ample time and candidates to fill the position. Who would we get as coach if we fire Pitino tomorrow?

Kaler didn't sound very supportive at today's press conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worst case JB Bickerstaff

Is the media just being self-righteous or is there a serious rift between Pitino and those who cover gopher basketball? Even with the recent outrages this just doesn't seem like the right time for this kind of talk. I get why and I kind of agree but Pitino should get another season before he gets the hook. And another thing, he doesn't get $7.1 million. He gets the remainder of his contract paid out over the course of the next 6 years or until he takes another job. No way Pitino stays out of basketball for 6 years to collect on this contract

He's tied to Teague.
He's lost badly.
He hasn't developed anyone as they leave or get in trouble.
SI uncovered an ethics issue with the recruiting of foreign payers.
He's related to Rick Pitino
His program is embarrassing to the whole department and state at this time.
Etc etc

This would be an incredibly stupid move. I can't believe a new AD going to roll into town and immediately go on a desperation search for a basketball coach in the summer. Let the season play out, let the buy out go down, let the new AD evaluate his coach and the talent the coach has brought in. Then with a clear head make a decision. Nothing Lynch did or did not do last weekend is of any reflection on the coach. Just a few weeks ago when we go Springs people were talking about how we are on the cusp of having an NCAA qualifier. Now a kid with a good reputation goes out and gets accused of something and everyone is sharpening their knives.

Off court stuff there really is no defending the program. But what if an experienced AD can help Pitino with this problem?

On court, this team was picked to finish in the bottom 4 this year. We all knew it wasn't going to be pretty. But the hope was for this upcoming season with our recruits, transfers and freshman having a year experience to turn the corner. So here we are at the point we've all waited for and we want to cut the chord right when we're ready for the pay off? Makes no sense. Like I said, if he isn't .500 in B1G play I believe he will be fired and all the detractors will get their wish along with a new coach. But what if it turns around? What if we make the NCAA tourney? Then the same people will be singing his praises just like after we beat Maryland last year and GopherHole was Pollyannaville.

The timing would be awful and I just can't see it happening at this point. Coyle said he isn't even going to be in town until Memorial Day. Are you really going to start a new coaching search in June? Who are you going to get at this point? Doesn't help if you fire him for a bad coach.

This column reads more like the comments section at the bottom of a Startribune article than an actual informed opinion piece. I saw this tweet from Shipley a few days ago and found it very odd for someone who works at a paper:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pitino will not be fired. This is crazy talk. Too early for AD to pull trigger and too late in Basketball process Besides I believe the team will have a huge turn around this season. Everyone needs to relax.

The timing would be awful and I just can't see it happening at this point. Coyle said he isn't even going to be in town until Memorial Day. Are you really going to start a new coaching search in June? Who are you going to get at this point? Doesn't help if you fire him for a bad coach.
Unless Coyle has a "big name" coach in his backpocket, we are going to have to suffer through this season.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Unless Coyle has a "big name" coach in his backpocket, we are going to have to suffer through this season.

You will suffer most if we win.

Absent any more off-court issues and/or embarrassments, I want to see what Pitino can do next season. Don't want the trigger pulled too early (as someone said above) and want to see what he can do with his guys in Year 4 (he recruited all except Buggsy). He's had one good season followed by two bad ones (the latter historically bad). The trajectory and feel toward the program needs to change significantly, and he deserves the chance to correct that. Again, with the caveat of there be no additional off-court issues, canning him after three years wouldn't be a fair shake.

Wow, did Pitino pee in the local media's cheerios? One hell of a witch hunt we have going with Strib and Pioneer - this Shipley guy is off the reservation.

f..k the media. tired of reading all the negative crap.

Absent any more off-court issues and/or embarrassments, I want to see what Pitino can do next season. Don't want the trigger pulled too early (as someone said above) and want to see what he can do with his guys in Year 4 (he recruited all except Buggsy). He's had one good season followed by two bad ones (the latter historically bad). The trajectory and feel toward the program needs to change significantly, and he deserves the chance to correct that. Again, with the caveat of there be no additional off-court issues, canning him after three years wouldn't be a fair shake.

Agreed. Well put.

Wow, did Pitino pee in the local media's cheerios? One hell of a witch hunt we have going with Strib and Pioneer - this Shipley guy is off the reservation.

Shipley is a big Iowa guy and has always been negative towards Pitino. More so than most. It's honestly really weird. But, to each their own I guess.

Who the hell is John Shipley?

John Shipley is the same Pioneer Press hack that was up in arms about Norwood spending $30k over 3 years on dinner with donors, now he wants the U to eat $7million. What a complete hypocrite.

I don't think he's bringing Boehiem!

I support Pitino

Off court stuff there really is no defending the program. But what if an experienced AD can help Pitino with this problem?

On court, this team was picked to finish in the bottom 4 this year. We all knew it wasn't going to be pretty. But the hope was for this upcoming season with our recruits, transfers and freshman having a year experience to turn the corner. So here we are at the point we've all waited for and we want to cut the chord right when we're ready for the pay off? Makes no sense. Like I said, if he isn't .500 in B1G play I believe he will be fired and all the detractors will get their wish along with a new coach. But what if it turns around? What if we make the NCAA tourney? Then the same people will be singing his praises just like after we beat Maryland last year and GopherHole was Pollyannaville.
Many of the impressions on this board seem very immature and from those that want to change coaches like changing pants. Please show some support for our coach.He still could be the best we ever had. I like the fact that he is young, has energy, can recruit, coach and is communicative and has a good sense of humor. I cringe at the thought of going through this again.

Top Bottom