John Shipley: Departing Gophers should have let Lindsay Whalen have her weekend

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

With Scalia, Sissoko would have been a nice piece with the four freshmen Whalen has coming in — the class was ranked as high as No. 10 nationally by ESPN — but she was wildly erratic. The others — point guard Alexia Smith, off guard Caroline Strande and post Erin Hedman — had reason to leave. Smith started getting more minutes when Powell left, but Strande and Hedman rarely played.

Two of that group announced they had entered the portal this week, one Thursday and one Friday, hours before Whalen was to be officially announced as a hall of fame selection. One can understand why; the portal is filling up fast and there are only 350 Division I women’s basketball teams, and while the NCAA has a recruiting dead period until April 14, coaches can still contact players by phone and email.

It’s understandable that players looking for a new home are anxious to get their names out there. Still, it seems a few could have waited until Monday.

Go Gophers!!

Let Whalen have her moment? Her entire playing career was full of moments and she's considered one of the greatest women's players ever. I know it's sad that her program is in total disarray and that it makes her look bad, but my God, no one is picking on poor Lindsay here.

If they entered the portal, after this past weekend, people (John Shipley) would have said "Why didn't they wait for a few more days?"

"Scheduled for an afternoon news conference with reporters covering the women’s NCAA Final Four championship on Sunday at Target Center, the Gophers basketball coach was instead stuck in New Orleans because of a flight cancellation."

This sounds more like situational avoidance to me. Hanging out in New Orleans with AD instead of facing the music in Minneapolis during Women's Final Four.

"Scheduled for an afternoon news conference with reporters covering the women’s NCAA Final Four championship on Sunday at Target Center, the Gophers basketball coach was instead stuck in New Orleans because of a flight cancellation."

This sounds more like situational avoidance to me. Hanging out in New Orleans with AD instead of facing the music in Minneapolis during Women's Final Four.
and had nothing to go with checks above.. her flight cancelled.. and being stuck.. she then had the press conference a few days later.. along with going on the radio as well.

Let Whalen have her moment? Her entire playing career was full of moments and she's considered one of the greatest women's players ever. I know it's sad that her program is in total disarray and that it makes her look bad, but my God, no one is picking on poor Lindsay here.
How many times has she been Entered in the BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME! I'm surprised that you don't find that Special. The National BASKETBALL community does. Of course, you apparently want to chastize her

How many times has she been Entered in the BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME! I'm surprised that you don't find that Special. The National BASKETBALL community does. Of course, you apparently want to chastize her
Nope. Chastising the writer and his argument, which was and is ridiculous.

You misread my post. Chatized 'her'. Not the writer. Her meaning Lindsay Whalen, Basketball Hall of Fame

Maybe there is more to why Sissoko & Scalia decided to leave the team, its obvious they received extended game minutes as both featured & key players in the highly regarded Big Ten Conference. Looking back, Scalia seemed excited to have the opportunity to play for Whalen and in her home state with the Gophers. Without knowing directly the fall-out with the Gopher team and possibly even the coaching, Sissoko & Scalia might be the ones chastised by Shipley....

You misread my post. Chatized 'her'. Not the writer. Her meaning Lindsay Whalen, Basketball Hall of Fame
Did I? Stating the obvious isn't chastising her. Her program is currently in disarray with losing records and players leaving in droves Shipley was apparently upset with Sissoko and Scalia announcing their transfers when they did because it calls attention to it when she's about to enter the Hall of Fame. To that I say good for her as a player. She obviously deserves it. No arguing that point.

But it takes an awful lot of hubris to then suggest her now former players should somehow take her Hall of Fame induction into consideration when announcing their transfers. Why? To spare her embarrassment? To pretend everything is rainbows and unicorns when it comes to Whalen as a power five coach? Just doesn't pass the smell test.

You have a cold cold heart. BTW there's an assistant coaching job open. This would be your opportunity to show Coach Whalen how to improve

Top Bottom