John Galt asks Joe Schmit if there is a scenario where Doogie moves to Fry Cook

John Galt

Reaction score
Am I now a reporter as well?

agree with the above post "just a below average reporter" but just remove the reporter and just put below average. Takes the Mike Max approach to advancing his journalism career by sucking up to influential people. At least with Mike he is a pleasant and non-toxic homer rather than Doogie style

Doogie is a below average report but an above average dbag!

His "Scoop Central' column on ESPN1500 is a Charley Walters rip-off. Only thing missing is the "Psst..." and "little birdie" references.

Well, it's not as if Shooter is the first to have a "scoops" column. Jottings, Little Birdie's, Scoops, etc. I like those type of columns and I think Doogie does a good job with it.

No doubt that the STrib will look to fill Sid's "jottings" space when he retires in 22 years, so someone will get paid to do it.

Go Gophers!!

I had a similar reaction when reading the 'Kill to Admin/Doogie' thread. However, I was beaten to the punch -Who is John Galt?

Doogie has a voice made for the newspaper in addition to a face made for radio. He is the total package.

So now everybody hates Doogie, too? Any media member who makes any criticism of the Gophers or asks a question we don't like, we try to drive out of town.

I guess you better hope Sid hangs around for a while. You can't really understand him anymore, but it seems he's all we've got left.

Any media member who makes any criticism of the Gophers or asks a question we don't like, we try to drive out of town.

People constantly attempt to conflate criticism with stupidity. I'll take good, honest criticism any day. I actually like Doogie, but the question was very stupid, and the phrasing was insanely stupid.

People constantly attempt to conflate criticism with stupidity. I'll take good, honest criticism any day. I actually like Doogie, but the question was very stupid, and the phrasing was insanely stupid.

I couldn't agree with you more. The only problem is that some people seem not able to tell the difference.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone ripping on the Gopher program. However, if you can't see how Doogie's post was laughably stupid and the opposite of journalism, you're lost.

My problem with the vast majority of criticism in this market is that it is from people who simply do not follow the Gophers (or college sports in general). They make comments that are nonsense, not because they are critical but because they lack any sense. I thought it was perfectly acceptable for Coach Kill and Teague to get blasted for the UNC stuff. I disagreed with the criticism, but it is completely understood.

Does this site ever approve of anything put forward by local reporters? Seriously, it's like if any reporter makes a story about anything other than how great our coaches our, how great our facilities are, or how much of a powerhouse we were in the '40s, everyone on this forum is calling for their head. Reporting isn't supposed to just praise every single team. To be honest, it's hard to find a seemingly negative article from local reporters these days that isn't 95% accurate (yes, even Souhan's).

Does this site ever approve of anything put forward by local reporters? Seriously, it's like if any reporter makes a story about anything other than how great our coaches our, how great our facilities are, or how much of a powerhouse we were in the '40s, everyone on this forum is calling for their head. Reporting isn't supposed to just praise every single team. To be honest, it's hard to find a seemingly negative article from local reporters these days that isn't 95% accurate (yes, even Souhan's).

If that's what you got from this thread, you are missing the point.

Take the Gophers out of it, look at the Doogie thread about Kill to an Admin Role.

That's akin to:

"Bill O'Reilly asks Hillary Clinton if she is a Russian spy"

"Len Pasquarelli asks Tom Brady if he is planning on retiring"

The problem is THERE IS NO STORY. The entire story is that someone asked a really dumb question and the answer was no. That's what JG was getting at with this thread.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am opposed to bashing for the sake of bashing - whether it's reporter-bashing, or Gopher-bashing. Questioning decisions, or pointing out problems is fair game, for fans and reporters.

But knee-jerk, pointless or uninformed criticism is another story. It's the different between a writer like Chip Scoggins, who actually tries to look at issues and discuss them - as opposed to somebody like Souhan, who writes anti-Gopher columns just to be mean.

I don't expect reporting to "praise every single team." And in this market, it never will. Let me just point out that the Vikings are, by all standards, the #1 team in MN. This year's Vikings team got off to a better start than expected, but as soon as they lost a couple of games, all the stories were about "what's wrong with the Vikes," and speculating about the Coach being fired. If that's your idea of postive press, I'd hate to see what negative press looks like.

If that's what you got from this thread, you are missing the point.

Take the Gophers out of it, look at the Doogie thread about Kill to an Admin Role.

That's akin to:

"Bill O'Reilly asks Hillary Clinton if she is a Russian spy"

"Len Pasquarelli asks Tom Brady if he is planning on retiring"

The problem is THERE IS NO STORY. The entire story is that someone asked a really dumb question and the answer was no. That's what JG was getting at with this thread.

Spot on.

Because us knowledgable fans know that the media in this city treats the team different than in other markets. Look at the front "page" from the football section of the Des Moines register. Can you honestly tell me if the Gophers came off of the mess of a disappointing season Iowa had that the same positivity would exist in our local media? It looks more like what you would see on Gophersports.com vs. an actual newspaper. That's one of the differences between pro and college media markets people.

Iowa.jpg

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am opposed to bashing for the sake of bashing - whether it's reporter-bashing, or Gopher-bashing. Questioning decisions, or pointing out problems is fair game, for fans and reporters.

But knee-jerk, pointless or uninformed criticism is another story. It's the different between a writer like Chip Scoggins, who actually tries to look at issues and discuss them - as opposed to somebody like Souhan, who writes anti-Gopher columns just to be mean.

I don't expect reporting to "praise every single team." And in this market, it never will. Let me just point out that the Vikings are, by all standards, the #1 team in MN. This year's Vikings team got off to a better start than expected, but as soon as they lost a couple of games, all the stories were about "what's wrong with the Vikes," and speculating about the Coach being fired. If that's your idea of postive press, I'd hate to see what negative press looks like.

I think one of the keys for me in any article is the effort that went into it. So many articles that get put out appear to have been written in the Wacker era and just dusted off and resubmitted because they make assumptions that things haven't changed. So often they don't look at the stats or actually watch the game, then make comments about plays or situations that are completely laughable.

One example was the other day on 93X morning show Randy Shaver was discussing the Bowl situation for the Gophers when he said the Gophers were lucky that either OSU or PSU weren't eligible or there "is no way they'd be going to a Bowl game". Obviously that is 100% untrue because if one was eligible they'd still at worst automatically qualify for Detroit. And even if both were eligible, there is a very good chance the Gophers get an at large bid from a Bowl that didn't fill its spot (even though there aren't any true at large bids other than BCS anymore), assuming they didn't get the nod over Purdue or that one other B1G team didn't get a BCS bid. Point is, it was a lazy uninformed comment. If he said there isn't much to be excited about being in the 7th bowl in the B1G knowing PSU and OSU weren't eligible, that's a legitimate criticism that I disagree with, but can't say it's completely off base. Saying they wouldn't be in when they automatically would be is just uninformed and lazy. Comments like that just drive me nuts.

I simply can't understand the lack of detail or research the local writers have.
It's an issue.
Anyone can write a negative column, ripping the program or coaches, etc. But have some facts or insight in the whole deal.

I personally feel the college sports scene SHOULD be covered differently than the pro sports. I know others disagree, but there's really no reason to have the venom Reusse, Souhan, or Barrerio have had in the past towards a team of truly local amateur athletes playing for state pride and the honor of the state's flagship university.

I really would like to know how many local writers outside of the beat guys attend games? Even watch entire games?
I bet not many. Yet they continue to write or comment on the state of things.
Just show some level of intelligence and knowledge before you rip away, that's all I'd like to see.

The one thing that really irks me is the continued campaign to discount or belittle bowl games not called Rose. It's the way modern college football is nowadays, get with the times and quite whining about how things were done in the past.
/Rant

Top Bottom