Joey King

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Gopher coaches planning on being in attendance to watch the Eastview Junior tonight, Tubby was impressed when he saw him last week, Joey picked a great time to have his best game of the year.

I'm right there..

with them. Was in attendance for the Apple Valley game, and definitly liked what I saw. Very good ball skills for a 6-8, and not afraid to go to the block either.

I think he's flying under the radar because he has not played with a 'major," summer AAU team. I would take him. Seems like 3-4 man with huge upside. Can hit the 3 or mix it up down low.

I have seen King play once and he was a pretty good player, but he listed generously at 6-8. He's more like a 6-6. Doesnt take anything away from him, except I see no way he can play the 4 in the Big Ten.

I have seen King play once and he was a pretty good player, but he listed generously at 6-8. He's more like a 6-6. Doesnt take anything away from him, except I see no way he can play the 4 in the Big Ten.

Is he really a 4? He seems to hit the 3 pretty well. It sounds like King had a pretty good game tonight with 19 points and hitting at least 4 3s.

Joey did hit 4 threes, including three in the first few minutes of the game but was pretty invisible in the second half, not all his fault. Monter, Hoops Czar, and UWOle we're all at the game as was Coach Taylor. Joey will be a guest at the Michigan game today.

The big question is where does he play. Ole has some good thoughts on this. He isn't quick enough to really guard BT players at the three and he's not big enough to really bang in the paint against guys like Trevor or Basabe, at least not right now. Some also question his slow release on his jumper. I believe he is planning on playing with the southside AAU team again this summer which will keep him under the radar. I don't think MN is in any hurry to offer him or make a decision anytime soon, but they are evaluating him and want to be in good position to get him if they want.

Preface - I'm not a talent evaluator. But, I've watched Joey play a handful of times. I've never left the gym thinking he's a Big Ten player. He's a good player, but not a Big Ten guy. He'll end up at Colorado State or Northern Iowa or Creighton or NDSU or a similar type program, IMHO. And, make no mistake, that still makes him a helluva basketball player. No shame in playing hoops at those schools. I think he will have to grow (literally) and also grow his game to be a bona fide Big Ten prospect.

My nephew is 6'6 and plays against Joey and actually is a friend of his...I just asked him if he is a true 6'8, and he said yeah and pretty strong too. The coach at Eastview keeps the score down pretty well by holding the ball. I don't know if he is a Big Ten player, but he is very good and still only a junior. I didn't go to the South/Eastview game last night but my guess is that by looking at the score, Eastview probably held onto the ball. There are 4 real good teams in the South Suburban (Eagan, Eastview, Valley, and South, with North not too far behind). If Chaska and EP would have stayed in the conference, it would have been outstanding!!!

Top Bottom