Joey King named to USA Men's 3x3 National Team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Really cool that Joey has built a post-Gopher career as a 3x3 star. Looks like he could be headed to the Olympics with 3x3 becoming an Olympic sport this year.

I believe Joey would be the first men's Gopher basketball player to make the Olympics since Jim Brewer was on the famous 1972. Clem was an assistant on the 1996 team and Whalen is a two-time Olympian. I don't recall any other Gopher hoopsters in the Olympics.

Go Gophers!!

Anyone have any insight on Kevin McHale and the 1980 USA Men's Basketball Team? Even with the boycott, they named a team and played some exhibitions against NBA teams, but McHale was not on it.

He had also played on the 1979 Pan Am Games Team, which was sort of a big deal back then and a precursor to the Olympiad.

Really cool that Joey has built a post-Gopher career as a 3x3 star. Looks like he could be headed to the Olympics with 3x3 becoming an Olympic sport this year.

I believe Joey would be the first men's Gopher basketball player to make the Olympics since Jim Brewer was on the famous 1972. Clem was an assistant on the 1996 team and Whalen is a two-time Olympian. I don't recall any other Gopher hoopsters in the Olympics.

Go Gophers!!
Good Luck Joey King ~ happy for you ~

Is that small ball he’s playing? That is to say, is that ball small(ish)? It looks small(ish).

Robbie Hummel is playing as well. Hard to believe his knees allow it.

Anyone have any insight on Kevin McHale and the 1980 USA Men's Basketball Team? Even with the boycott, they named a team and played some exhibitions against NBA teams, but McHale was not on it.

He had also played on the 1979 Pan Am Games Team, which was sort of a big deal back then and a precursor to the Olympiad.
Bobby Knight was his coach for the Pan Am games.

Interesting. This 3x3 basketball is pretty fun to watch.
Are you up for some 3 am viewing for the prelims? I'm guessing they'll get that kind of slot. I'm a huge Olympics nerd and going to see it in a foreign country is on my bucket list.

I think I have played way more 3x3 (or 3 on 3 as it was called in the old days) than I ever have full court 5 on 5. It's cool to see this in the Olympics. Awesome to see Joey King out there representing!

Best possible USA-born 3x3 team?

I'll take LeBron, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Westbrook

I'll leave Steph Curry and some of the elite shooters off as their range isn't as valuable here.

I think I have played way more 3x3 (or 3 on 3 as it was called in the old days) than I ever have full court 5 on 5. It's cool to see this in the Olympics. Awesome to see Joey King out there representing!

Best possible USA-born 3x3 team?

I'll take LeBron, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Westbrook

I'll leave Steph Curry and some of the elite shooters off as their range isn't as valuable here.
ALL Time - Imagine Kobe, LeBron and Michael Jordan...that's 3 competitors

Top Bottom