Joe Schmit on Claeys

The correct answer is somewhere in the middle.

All of the following are true statements:

Washington State is the best win of the year.
Washington State was an unranked opponent.
Washington State lost to an FCS school.
Washington State is a good team.
Washington State is overrated in the minds of some gopher fans.
Washington State was outcoached by the gophers' staff.
Minnesota won 9 games.
Minnesota's second best win was either 6 win Maryland or 7 win Colorado State or 6/7 win northwestern.
Minnesota won 9 wins for the third time since 1999.
Minnesota won back to back bowl games for the first time in over 10 years.
Minnesota is probably the 25-40th best team in the country.
Minnesota was the 7th best team in the Big Ten this year.

Nice research though he didn't seem interested in 5 of the points. I'll stand by the translation.

Oh by the way, it wasn't only Gopher fans who may have overrated the Cougars ability to dominate the Gophers last night. Everybody in the country who wrote for a sports show, website or sports channel picked WSU to win. Nearly all of them to beat the 10+ spread too.

Though we did have a brilliant handicapper here who thought the Gophers would win and run all over the Cougars to do it too.:cool:

Indeed, moreover my relatives who live Columbus laugh at us Minnesota Gopher fans. They look at OSU athletics as entertainment and could give two ****s about graduating citizens. Just win baby!!! Ugh, ten minutes listening to them over the holidays gets old.

Hope they where their Cleveland Browns jerseys proudly too!

Correct. I didn't think the gophers would win. Thought it would be closed and wasn't that surprised by the win. Washington State a bit overrated by everyone. I also think gophers were underrated. The gophers didn't get blown out by anyone all year, so if you thought you were going to see a blowout you forgot about the season. And the gophers certainly have played tougher teams than Wazzu.

I know from speaking with former players that Claeys is a players coach. Players really like him.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Correct. I didn't think the gophers would win. Thought it would be closed and wasn't that surprised by the win. Washington State a bit overrated by everyone. I also think gophers were underrated. The gophers didn't get blown out by anyone all year, so if you thought you were going to see a blowout you forgot about the season. And the gophers certainly have played tougher teams than Wazzu.

Most of the people that picked a big win by the Cougars didn't underestimate the Gophers season or their Defense. They stated again and again that the Gophers had a solid Defense but after losing those 10 players including two starters and at least one other player who saw a lot of playing time, the Cougars attack, with that Offense that scored 40 per game this year, would exploit the depleted secondary.

Now throw in the heat they would take on Twitter and the internet in general, if they picked Minnesota and it wasn't really surprising at all.

Most of the people that picked a big win by the Cougars didn't underestimate the Gophers season or their Defense. They stated again and again that the Gophers had a solid Defense but after losing those 10 players including two starters and at least one other player who saw a lot of playing time, the Cougars attack, with that Offense that scored 40 per game this year, would exploit the depleted secondary.

Now throw in the heat they would take on Twitter and the internet in general, if they picked Minnesota and it wasn't really surprising at all.

If you thought losing 2.5 players was going to make a close game a blowout you don't know football very well. How much did the Vegas line move? Less than 10 points I am sure.

If you thought losing 2.5 players was going to make a close game a blowout you don't know football very well. How much did the Vegas line move? Less than 10 points I am sure.

Who is this "you" that you constantly speak of?

Where does the half player come from? Are you talking about losing Richardson in game since he's so short?

Nicely stated. Too bad it is lost on the many.

Pretty sure there are 100+ on that team fitting that good citizen description. You need a much, much smaller brush when painting.

He did like it and was a big reason attendance was good. He traveled out state MN and promoted the program. We lost that fire.

Not. You are saying Claeys hasn't traveled outstate, what's your basis? Seat donations and home match ups are by far the biggest reasons. Kill also got benefit from the new stadium on campus bump.

The "Keep Tracy Claeys" petition(s) is on Move On.org too. Guess you haven't signed it then? And while what you stated may be true, that wasn't the point of the post. The point of the post was how KSTP Channel 5, is doing everything they can to "report" on the Gophers and slant all those reports to focus on the assault and boycott.

And as long as you brought politics into to it, the KSTP TV and radio networks are owned by the Hubbard family. They are some of the biggest contributors to right wing politics in the country and have been for decades too!

There's some more information for you. :cool:

Yep very true.

Line

Game moved from Gophers +7 to +10.

Nicely stated. Too bad it is lost on the many.

I don't disagree. But at the same time you can do pretty much everything right and still have something bad happen. Was this just a one time thing or will it be a trend?

My mistake then, and I apologize for not following Gopherhole Protocol be giving a direct answer.

I got it from yesterday's Vegas insiders.com. My memory was a point off.

239 Washington State (8-4) (3-2 A) L-2 -4.5 -9 77% 80% 83% Under: 29

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/matchups/

If you click on the line history link I guess technically you could say it opened someplace at 5.5...

It has been established the line didn't move 10 points, but are you suggesting a line move of 10 points wouldn't be incredibly odd and unbelievably significant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, moreover my relatives who live Columbus laugh at us Minnesota Gopher fans. They look at OSU athletics as entertainment and could give two ****s about graduating citizens. Just win baby!!! Ugh, ten minutes listening to them over the holidays gets old.

The bigger laugh is living in Ohio on purpose.

I don't care if a coach is beloved by players. I want a coach who recruits good citizens.
I think we all do, but how do you know for sure a person is going to "misbehave". How many seemingly good people shave you met over the years that turn out to have issues (criminal or otherwise). If you're really as old as your username implies you should know this. I think the bigger issue would be if a coach seemed to allow or brush those things under the rug. I have seen no evidence that Claeys doesn't take this type of thing seriously. They kicked Smith off the team for being a knucklehead.

I don't care if a coach is beloved by players. I want a coach who recruits good citizens.

OK. I have seen many quote your above post without addressing one important point. You posted this in response to a comment that TC is more beloved than Kill was. You do realize that Kill recruited some of those suspended, right? 4 of the 10 If I'm not mistaken.

Coach Claeys is less of a self promoter than Coach Kill was. Gives more credit to the players.
Coach Claeys doesn't drone on about winning everywhere he has been, to me he let's the players accomplishments and the assistant coaches accomplishments speak for themselves. He may be more of a silent leader but I think at the end of the day he will end up being more successful than coach Kill even. He just needed his shot and time to develop as a head coach. Putting the players in the best chance to have success is what he has always been about. If the players develop into good people and good football players, then I think at the end of the day Coach Claeys will be satisfied that he did what he was called to do. He is a competitive dude and want's and is arrogant enough to believe he can win at Minnesota, some of that is rubbing off on the players. To me that is refreshing.

To me coach Kill's programs were more about coach Kill being the face of everything, We're really coaching them up and making no stars into top talents. Everything with Kill was how important his evaluations of players were into or as opposed to the athletes given talents. Claey's stuck his neck out this year for the players more than Kill ever would have. He kept the team focused enough about the game to actually succeed.

Well said! Agree totally!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we all do, but how do you know for sure a person is going to "misbehave". How many seemingly good people shave you met over the years that turn out to have issues (criminal or otherwise). If you're really as old as your username implies you should know this. I think the bigger issue would be if a coach seemed to allow or brush those things under the rug. I have seen no evidence that Claeys doesn't take this type of thing seriously. They kicked Smith off the team for being a knucklehead.

That's a very good point, well said.

Fan since the 50's, do you think ALL the players on the team are not good kids? Do you think that the coaches are not trying to get good kids? Don't you think that maybe culturally and socioeconomically that many of these kids may not have had the best/easiest upbringing and probably haven't had good role models to help guide them? Do you not think that not only the players but also the coaches will learn from this? The bad will get culled from the herd as they should, let's not punish everyone and anyone connected to the program...your smarter than that to take such an easy way out.

It has been established the line didn't move 10 points, but are you suggesting a line move of 10 points wouldn't be incredibly odd and unbelievably significant?

No I am not suggesting that. I am suggesting that the line probably would have moved to double digits instead of 9 if people thought it was going to be a blowout.

Most people probably assumed Wazzu would score some points. In a game with a finite number of possessions losing a couple of defensive players doesn't make a close game a blowout. The only position that could really have that effect is quarterback...maybe running back in some cases.

Heck, I would argue the gophers center being out had a larger impact on the final result than the suspended players.

Top Bottom