Joe Schmit on Claeys

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
On 1500 ESPN just now. He said he learned something about this team all week. "I think Claeys is more beloved by parents and players than Kill was."

One of my biggest concerns post Kill was that the team might hit a skid / troubles and the team sort of fall apart / lose faith. Apparently not a thing to worry about. Very nice to see.

Multiple reasons for this.

On 1500 ESPN just now. He said he learned something about this team all week. "I think Claeys is more beloved by parents and players than Kill was."

Coach Claeys is less of a self promoter than Coach Kill was. Gives more credit to the players.
Coach Claeys doesn't drone on about winning everywhere he has been, to me he let's the players accomplishments and the assistant coaches accomplishments speak for themselves. He may be more of a silent leader but I think at the end of the day he will end up being more successful than coach Kill even. He just needed his shot and time to develop as a head coach. Putting the players in the best chance to have success is what he has always been about. If the players develop into good people and good football players, then I think at the end of the day Coach Claeys will be satisfied that he did what he was called to do. He is a competitive dude and want's and is arrogant enough to believe he can win at Minnesota, some of that is rubbing off on the players. To me that is refreshing.

To me coach Kill's programs were more about coach Kill being the face of everything, We're really coaching them up and making no stars into top talents. Everything with Kill was how important his evaluations of players were into or as opposed to the athletes given talents. Claey's stuck his neck out this year for the players more than Kill ever would have. He kept the team focused enough about the game to actually succeed.

Thanks for the note, and it's good news but big deal. Let the SOB say it on television. Just watched the Channel Five News and there was a very small segment on the game and a very long segment on the "Fire Claeys" petition holder presenting her 2,200 signature petition without mentioning her goal was 3,000 signatures but she couldn't get them. The reporter also said that there were "people with her". Looked like her husband and son. Period.

That was followed by ANOTHER re-hashing of the incident!

Phuck Channel 5 and Joe Schmit. Unless he goes on TV and repeats his statement from that obscure radio show.

Joe got a nice trip to San Diego. I bet if the Gophers went to Nashville, it would have been Chris Long. Detroit? Well, Doogie may have enjoyed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I heard the segment being discussed. Joe S was very complimentary of Claeys. he also said that before the game, he expected Claeys to be fired, but now, Schmit thinks there is a good chance that Claeys will keep his job. He did make the point that Claeys has a lot of support from the players' parents, which he thinks will go a long way with the Regents and administration. Was also a lot of praise for Sawvel and how the game plan was drawn up and executed. Schmit also said that Claeys and his staff out-coached Leach and his staff.

Thanks for the note, and it's good news but big deal. Let the SOB say it on television. Just watched the Channel Five News and there was a very small segment on the game and a very long segment on the "Fire Claeys" petition holder presenting her 2,200 signature petition without mentioning her goal was 3,000 signatures but she couldn't get them. The reporter also said that there were "people with her". Looked like her husband and son. Period.

That was followed by ANOTHER re-hashing of the incident!

Phuck Channel 5 and Joe Schmit. Unless he goes on TV and repeats his statement from that obscure radio show.
MoveOn.org is a well known leftwing organization supported by billionaire George Soros. Strong on feminism - I'm sure they'd get rid of football altogether if they could.

Coach Claeys is less of a self promoter than Coach Kill was. Gives more credit to the players.
Coach Claeys doesn't drone on about winning everywhere he has been, to me he let's the players accomplishments and the assistant coaches accomplishments speak for themselves. He may be more of a silent leader but I think at the end of the day he will end up being more successful than coach Kill even. He just needed his shot and time to develop as a head coach. Putting the players in the best chance to have success is what he has always been about. If the players develop into good people and good football players, then I think at the end of the day Coach Claeys will be satisfied that he did what he was called to do. He is a competitive dude and want's and is arrogant enough to believe he can win at Minnesota, some of that is rubbing off on the players. To me that is refreshing.

To me coach Kill's programs were more about coach Kill being the face of everything, We're really coaching them up and making no stars into top talents. Everything with Kill was how important his evaluations of players were into or as opposed to the athletes given talents. Claey's stuck his neck out this year for the players more than Kill ever would have. He kept the team focused enough about the game to actually succeed.

It would not surprise me at all if the players liked Claeys more than Kill. Claeys tells it like it is and it really is not about him in any way shape or form. It is one of the reasons that I wonder if he can survive as a power 5 head coach because he doesn't have the ego that most of these head coaches (including Kill) have. He is a football coach to the core and isn't about the self promotion and spotlight that most head coaches want.

MoveOn.org is a well known leftwing organization supported by billionaire George Soros. Strong on feminism - I'm sure they'd get rid of football altogether if they could.

The "Keep Tracy Claeys" petition(s) is on Move On.org too. Guess you haven't signed it then? And while what you stated may be true, that wasn't the point of the post. The point of the post was how KSTP Channel 5, is doing everything they can to "report" on the Gophers and slant all those reports to focus on the assault and boycott.

And as long as you brought politics into to it, the KSTP TV and radio networks are owned by the Hubbard family. They are some of the biggest contributors to right wing politics in the country and have been for decades too!

There's some more information for you. :cool:

A very impressive Defensive performance. The offense looked very out of sorts and so many penalties. WSU was not a very good team
and lost their last few games and looked disinterested. I don't think one game can wipe out all the problems at the U. Is Claeys going
to be able to recruit good kids and clean out all the bad apples....... I think Claeys is a good Defensive coordinator but can he coach and lead
with the likes of Wisconsin,Iowa, Nebraska programs.

It would not surprise me at all if the players liked Claeys more than Kill. Claeys tells it like it is and it really is not about him in any way shape or form. It is one of the reasons that I wonder if he can survive as a power 5 head coach because he doesn't have the ego that most of these head coaches (including Kill) have. He is a football coach to the core and isn't about the self promotion and spotlight that most head coaches want.

Glenn always says there are two types of head coaches - those that like to coach and those that like to be the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very impressive Defensive performance. The offense looked very out of sorts and so many penalties. WSU was not a very good team
and lost their last few games and looked disinterested. I don't think one game can wipe out all the problems at the U. Is Claeys going
to be able to recruit good kids and clean out all the bad apples....... I think Claeys is a good Defensive coordinator but can he coach and lead
with the likes of Wisconsin,Iowa, Nebraska programs.

"Disinterested" is always the excuse when a team loses a bowl. This wasn't USC. I don't buy for a second that a program that came front the depths of WSU a few years back wasn't excited to blow us out. And yes, they are a very good team. When was the last time we won 7 straight conference games? WW2

You don't have to like he coach, but let's not adjust the facts to fit your narrative.

"Disinterested" is always the excuse when a team loses a bowl. This wasn't USC. I don't buy for a second that a program that came front the depths of WSU a few years back wasn't excited to blow us out. And yes, they are a very good team. When was the last time we won 7 straight conference games? WW2

You don't have to like he coach, but let's not adjust the facts to fit your narrative.

This team lost to Eastern Washington and the PAC 12 was way down. Lets not get carried away with a Tier 2 bowl game.

This team lost to Eastern Washington and the PAC 12 was way down. Lets not get carried away with a Tier 2 bowl game.

Yes, they lost their first two. And then rattled off 7 conf wins before losing to CO and UW. Both division champs. PAC is not down. Oregon is down. USC Colorado UW and WSU are all very good teams. Colorado probably beats Michigan if their qb doesn't get hurt.

I don't care if a coach is beloved by players. I want a coach who recruits good citizens.

I don't care if a coach is beloved by players. I want a coach who recruits good citizens.
Yes we have to look at the long term and not one game. It was a great defensive win but it doesn't change the fact we need to get good kids in here that are disciplined.

We have a lot of good kids in this program but a few rotten apples spoil the bunch though. That's life.

Translation: "Please fire Claeys"
The correct answer is somewhere in the middle.

All of the following are true statements:

Washington State is the best win of the year.
Washington State was an unranked opponent.
Washington State lost to an FCS school.
Washington State is a good team.
Washington State is overrated in the minds of some gopher fans.
Washington State was outcoached by the gophers' staff.
Minnesota won 9 games.
Minnesota's second best win was either 6 win Maryland or 7 win Colorado State or 6/7 win northwestern.
Minnesota won 9 wins for the second time since 1999.
Minnesota won back to back bowl games for the first time in over 10 years.
Minnesota is probably the 25-40th best team in the country.
Minnesota was the 7th best team in the Big Ten this year.

Indeed, moreover my relatives who live Columbus laugh at us Minnesota Gopher fans. They look at OSU athletics as entertainment and could give two ****s about graduating citizens. Just win baby!!! Ugh, ten minutes listening to them over the holidays gets old.

Top Bottom