Joe Schmit : Hoke,Calhoun,Mullen at Present

Mullen would be a nice hire, but I still don't think he bolts Miss. St. after only two years.

I don't know if he would take the job or not. What is he being paid now? $$$ talks and if the Gophers are offering 1.5 to 2 million that talks pretty loud.

I don't spend my life on here...why a homerun as you say? Seems pretty average to me. Not in Leach's catagory or even much maligned Glen Mason.

He's got his team ranked. He was a very hot assistant 2 years ago as Meyer's OC. And now he's proven to be a good HC. And has had good recruiting classes. His credentials 2 years ago should have been good enough for us to take a chance on him, and now we have proof that he's a good HC. Not a very risky hire, seems like a good fit.

I don't spend my life on here...why a homerun as you say? Seems pretty average to me. Not in Leach's catagory or even much maligned Glen Mason.

Those who know him call him a future coaching "superstar" ... hard to find anyone that has anything even remotely negative to say about him... was Meyer's play-caller/offensive guru at Bowling Green, Utah, & Florida... worked with Tebow more than anyone, who turned out ok. Getting Mullen here would be close to a grand slam.

Know who else left Mississippi State after 2 years?

Bernie Bierman

Not that they are anything alike though. He did go to Tulane for a few years before coming back home.

Also, the last coach we got from Mississippi St. won our last National Championship and Big Ten title.

While some of you may know, I'm a Florida grad who's had season tickets (student & alumni) since 1975, so I'm very familiar with both Dan Mullen and the SEC.

First, if Mullen likes the job, you'll have a good chance of convincing him to come to Minnesota. Urban was at Utah for two years before coming to Florida (& bringing Dan with him); Mullen has seen it done and (IMO) recognizes good opportunities in his profession don't always present themselves at the most opportune times.

Second, when Mullen took the Mississippi State job, we wished him well - - - and worried he was taking a "career killer" job. Mullen has to go up against LSU, Alabama & Auburn every single year, all of which have significant recruiting, etc. advantages over Mississippi State - and he's at the "second university" in his own state (think Michigan State recruiting against Michigan ... or Iowa State recruiting against Iowa).

MSU's program was in very bad shape when Dan arrived in Starkeville. He's put together a decent staff and "punched above his weight" in recruiting.

MSU philosophy & other info

Mullen is a "spread" guy. He's pretty aggressive - folks down here think he pushed Urban to attack more than was comfortable for him (a constant complaint here the past two years has been that Mullen's successor is too conservative).

IMO, Mullen is the kind of guy Minnesota is looking for & needs.

We did OK with the last HC we got from Mississippi State--Murray Warmath...

Mullen

We did OK with the last HC we got from Mississippi State--Murray Warmath...

I don't know...I mean it has no logic but if the national championship Gopher coaches (Bierman and Warmath) were both head coaches at Mississippi St...and Mullen is touted as brilliant and a superstar in waiting and is the head coach at Mississippi St...don't the dots just have to connect?

Patterson, Petersen, Mullen, I'd like one of those three....compared to all the Edsalls, Hokes, Calhouns, Kills, etc

Mullen is the ideal candidate in my book. Young guy with a great assistant coaching resume who has done well his first time out as a head coach. He's someone the school to whom the school could make a commitment for strengthening the foundation and building long-term success. Mullen could make the program "his." I feel the same way about Golden.

Are we going to be able to get a guy who will stay here if he's successful, if the compensation is similar? Maybe give a base of 1MM, and increase it by 100k for every win over 6 each season. Hate to see us get to 8-4, then have a guy bolt for a bigger payday.

Are we going to be able to get a guy who will stay here if he's successful, if the compensation is similar? Maybe give a base of 1MM, and increase it by 100k for every win over 6 each season. Hate to see us get to 8-4, then have a guy bolt for a bigger payday.

A) Did you mean $2 MM? An offer of $1 MM will get us another Brewster, at best.

B) No coach that is worth a damn will sign a contract where he is incented based on wins. Coaches are incented on things like division, conference, and national titles, APR, and player discipline. Trying to incent based on wins will get us someone out of work and desperate for a BCS job, or someone woefully underqualified and ill-prepared.

Top Bottom