Joe Schmit: Have confirmed that Eric Kaler and Mark Coyle flew to Chicago for a mtg

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

We can't get PJ so we're interviewing / hiring his agent?

Kill said that Coyle was having discussions with other people's agents before he fired Claey's. They at least must have done some foundational work on head coaching profiles. Probably meeting agents, about contract demands of certain people before actually interviewing head coaches. Agents talk to coaches to, so that said, there was an earlier post that the worst kept secret in the coaching circles and ranks was that Claey's was a stop gap coach and that Minnesota planned to hire a new coach before the scandal broke. All the scandal did was expedite the firing decision.

Fleck might be a done deal and Coyle and Fleck were able to agree to not fire Claeys until after Cotton Bowl. That would be props to all around. Pure speculation.

Maybe they are coming to talk to me about the emails I sent them last night?

Maybe I'm having cold feet or maybe the NDSU fans have convinced me, but I think I'd rather have Klieman than Fleck. I hope this isn't true.

By the way, you can tell the world has gone crazy, I have been convinced by NDSU fans.

You are based in Chicago? Well, you know your duties!

Haha, good one. :clap:

fmlizard better be pulling an Obama snowman outside Coyle's hotel window.

obama-snowman.jpg

Maybe I'm having cold feet or maybe the NDSU fans have convinced me, but I think I'd rather have Klieman than Fleck. I hope this isn't true.

By the way, you can tell the world has gone crazy, I have been convinced by NDSU fans.

Yep, you're crazy. Klieman wouldn't show up on the short list for any P5 school other than MN, Fleck would be on every P5's list.

Bob_Loblaw;1313791[B said:
]Maybe I'm having cold feet or maybe the NDSU fans have convinced me, but I think I'd rather have Klieman than Fleck. I hope this isn't true.

By the way, you can tell the world has gone crazy, I have been convinced by NDSU fans.[/B]

I'm right there with you.

There's always a secret agenda with NDSU fans.

Yep, you're crazy. Klieman wouldn't show up on the short list for any P5 school other than MN, Fleck would be on every P5's list.

Not Oregon's. If he's so great, why would he settle for Minnesota? Why is he at Western Michigan?

He beat Sconnie the first year they went to the Rose Bowl under Alvarez. That was a lot of fun too.

That was the most satisfied I have ever left the stadium feeling. Scott Eckers carved up the Badgers and so did Darkins.

Not Oregon's. If he's so great, why would he settle for Minnesota? Why is he at Western Michigan?

Because he is barely 36. Being the HC anywhere at that age is pretty impressive. In FBS, even moreso. And to win so much, I would say he's more than ahead of schedule on the path to ELITE, as he would say.

He is 36. Gotta start somewhere.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

I'm not saying Fleck is or will be on their level, but Nick Saban and Urban Meyer were both once MAC coaches. It's a great place for guys to get a start as a head coach. To be a boss there in your mid 30s is no shame.

I heard they were interviewing Oprah for the job.

I heard there was a meeting in Indianapolis

It's always tough to tell when you're serious and when you're trolling, but if you're serious, this is a really stupid take. The far-and-away two best active college football coaches were head coaches in the MAC at 39 and 38, older than Fleck is now.

I think it's very notable that Kaler made the trip as well. Possible reasons Kaler might have went along...

- Things are farther along than we might expect.
- Kaler has Coyle on a short leash
- They want to convince the prospective coach that he'll have full support from leadership and explain the Claeys situation.

Regardless of the reason, it's very interesting. You can't expect Kaler to be making all the trips required during a potential multi week search.

Top Bottom