Joe Rossi Appreciation Thread

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
Gopher defense this season (FBS rank)

Yards Per Game: 306.6 (10th)
Yards Per Play: 5.06 (28th)
Points Allowed: 22.50 (37th) -- includes 5 non-defensive touchdowns (2nd most)

Impressive numbers indeed, but quite shocking when you look at the complete 180 from where we sat on November 3, 2018 after firing Robb Smith.

2018 Under Robb Smith (4-5 record)
Yards Per Game: 423.9 (91st)
Yards Per Play: 6.33 (110th)
Points Allowed: 31.8 (97th)

2018 and 2019 under Joe Rossi (14-3 record)
Yards Per Game: 305.1 (6th)
Yards Per Play: 5.04 (25th)
Points Allowed: 20.7 (23rd)

Absolutely amazing!

He has done a good job.

The defense still seems to come and go here and there... worries me, but that may be less Rossi and just more growing pains.

Given time to prepare, his defenses have executed unbelievably. With another year in his system for the players i don’t think the defense will drop off that much, if at all, even with losing a bunch of seniors. Stability will spur the defense to greater in game adjustments.

Still can't get over how much we've improved since he took over. I'm sure he is still learning like we all are. Wait, wait...there are a couple on this board who know everything there is to know.

Still can't get over how much we've improved since he took over. I'm sure he is still learning like we all are. Wait, wait...there are a couple on this board who know everything there is to know.
I remember a segment on B1G Network with Urban Meyer...not an exact quote but close to this " I don't know Joe Rossie, but I'm impressed". I think this was analyzing defense after the Penn State game....

I remember a segment on B1G Network with Urban Meyer...not an exact quote but close to this " I don't know Joe Rossie, but I'm impressed". I think this was analyzing defense after the Penn State game....
Yep, he was talking about the red zone defense we ran against them, and was very impressed with how we set our defense vertically to prevent pick/rub routes.

We lose a lot of players on the D-side next year, but we also gain a lot of redshirts from this season. That's one of the deals that makes the college game so great -- each year each team changes a lot, both with the new folks seeing the field and the way those players improve during the season.

Surprisingly, in final NCAA stats, Gophers finished 10th in the nation in total defense, but 42nd in total offense. Tanner Morgan 4th in the nation in passing efficiency (elite), while Tyler Johnson 11th in ypg, 7th in total yards for the season; Bateman 19th in ypg, 14th in total yards for the season. Rodney Smith 30th in nation in rushing - total yards for season. Not bad!

Surprisingly, in final NCAA stats, Gophers finished 10th in the nation in total defense, but 42nd in total offense. Tanner Morgan 4th in the nation in passing efficiency (elite), while Tyler Johnson 11th in ypg, 7th in total yards for the season; Bateman 19th in ypg, 14th in total yards for the season. Rodney Smith 30th in nation in rushing - total yards for season. Not bad!
I think total offense is basically total yards. My impression of our offense is that we play at a slower, plodding pace as compared to a lot of teams that are much more up-tempo. That means that we have on average less possessions, but we score at a pretty high level, which means not many teams have been able to stop us. Of the 41 of those offenses ranked higher, I’m willing to bet only a small handful are better, IMO.

Rossi has flat out changed the trajectory of the football team, I'm not sure where this program would be today if PJ hadn't made that change last year.
THIS for keeping the other guy's scoring within reach...

PLUS Tanner being able to manage the O to put up the necessary points.

Having a potentially upper tier QB to go with a capable D is the piece we have not had on the board for a long, long...did I say long?...time.

Last edited:

I think total offense is basically total yards. My impression of our offense is that we play at a slower, plodding pace as compared to a lot of teams that are much more up-tempo. That means that we have on average less possessions, but we score at a pretty high level, which means not many teams have been able to stop us. Of the 41 of those offenses ranked higher, I’m willing to bet only a small handful are better, IMO.

Possession offense both limits the number of plays defended and helps keep your defense from fatiguing in the 4th quarter. Rossi has still done a fantastic job!

Watching the replay it is more impressive how much the defense shut down Auburn.

Also weird how much of a mixed bag Auburn's QB Bro Dixs (that's the name and I'm sticking to it) is away vs at home.

Top Bottom