Joe Nelson: All of a sudden, Gophers' 2020 starting 5 could be really good

Mitchell needs to learn to not take wild swipes when blocking a shot. Kevin McHale was the best at simply guiding the ball into his hand and not fouling.

Reactions: Rex

I think this is one team where the starting line up will not be nearly as important as the minutes and the combinations that Pitino finds to put on the floor. It is my hope that the depth gives us a chance to play some really aggressive and nasty defense as well as gives us an opportunity to score off the break more. We had almost nothing for fast break buckets last year.
Yeah I'm with you on that all the way, why I referenced Tre and Mash averaging around 20 min a game, give or take. That includes Gach, Gabe, and Carr who I would guess will be in the 28+ range. I think the question is, and could be the variable, do we have a longer guy who could come in and play some on the wing and guard longer players? Looking at Mutaf/Mitchell, could Johnson? Not saying I think that will happen but maybe a possibility.

Depth is still a ? Williams shot 28% Omersa less than 2pts a game....Frosh not high enough rated to peg in as definitely ready to play well...Some pieces will likely fall into place others likely will not.. Solid shot of going 8 deep with productivity.

Depth is still a ? Williams shot 28% Omersa less than 2pts a game....Frosh not high enough rated to peg in as definitely ready to play well...Some pieces will likely fall into place others likely will not.. Solid shot of going 8 deep with productivity.
I think as long as guys aren't in foul trouble or injured we have perfect depth for giving guys some minutes/getting guys breaks. I'm not confident in the depth coming in and bringing us back from 10 points down or keeping a 2 pt game a 2 pt game for 12 minutes. I think Carr, Gabe, Gach, Robbins (if he gets a waiver) will all play 32 minutes per game. Johnson and Ihnen will play a lot, and guys like Tre, Mash, Omersa, etc. will fill some minutes to get guys breathers.

Rothstein has a whopping 9 big ten teams in his top 45.... and 6 in his top 26....Gophs will need all hands on deck to compete this year

I think as long as guys aren't in foul trouble or injured we have perfect depth for giving guys some minutes/getting guys breaks. I'm not confident in the depth coming in and bringing us back from 10 points down or keeping a 2 pt game a 2 pt game for 12 minutes. I think Carr, Gabe, Gach, Robbins (if he gets a waiver) will all play 32 minutes per game. Johnson and Ihnen will play a lot, and guys like Tre, Mash, Omersa, etc. will fill some minutes to get guys breathers.
I see you have Ihnen as a reserve. Dude seemed to have a lot of raw game in his somewhat limited minutes last year. If he takes a step forward, I'd find it difficult to see a situation where he isn't starting consistently.

I see you have Ihnen as a reserve. Dude seemed to have a lot of raw game in his somewhat limited minutes last year. If he takes a step forward, I'd find it difficult to see a situation where he isn't starting consistently.
Not necessarily what I was saying...I think those two will split the minutes with Ihnen also filling in at the 3. I think he'll get close to 20 minutes a night.

I mainly think that the other 4 starters will play a lot of minutes with Johnson and Ihnen being the 5 and 6 (no particular order) that receive a lot of play.

Not necessarily what I was saying...I think those two will split the minutes with Ihnen also filling in at the 3. I think he'll get close to 20 minutes a night.

I mainly think that the other 4 starters will play a lot of minutes with Johnson and Ihnen being the 5 and 6 (no particular order) that receive a lot of play.
Carr needs to play at least 32 minutes.

Carr needs to play at least 32 minutes.
Pitino doesn't shy away from playing guys 32+ minutes, particular point guards. During his time at Minnesota:

2013-14: Austin Hollins 33.1
2015-16: Nate Mason 32.9
2016-17: Nate Mason 34.5, Amir Coffey 33.2
2017-18: Nate Mason: 34.1
2018-19: Amir Coffey 35.2
2019-2020: Marcus Carr 36.8, Daniel Oturu 33.9, Gabe Kalscheur 33.3

Keep him in that 30-35 range and I'm happy. There's other guys on this roster that can play. Too many tired Marcus Carr defensive lapses last year. Those can't happen. That's what our bench is for and we have depth this year, as has been stated multiple time already. Gach and Mash should be able to fill in at point for 5-10+ min. per game. Trust 'em.

Pitino doesn't shy away from playing guys 32+ minutes, particular point guards. During his time at Minnesota:

Exactly. If he can not handle 34 ferocious minutes than it is a conditioning issue.

Wonder what the P6 average is for starting PG.

“Ideally Mitchell could play some 3/4 but I think he might take a bit to come along although I love his potential.” Not picking on you but I have seen this on the board by a few people.
Somebody please link a game video that shows Mitchell doing something other than dunking.
Yet, another theme is Ihnen can’t play 1,2, or 3. He’s only a 4. I see different things
when Ihnen plays. He is versatile, athletic and has the makeup and ability to play on the perimeter imo. (You guys see it different...cool.)
Maybe Mitchell does too? No videoI I have seen says he is anything but an athletic 5 however.

How is Ihnen versatile? He shoots 3s on offense while doing little else and he's shown some potential as a defender because of his length and activity. But that seems like like guard and variety profile of a power forward nowadays.

How is Ihnen versatile? He shoots 3s on offense while doing little else and he's shown some potential as a defender because of his length and activity. But that seems like like guard and variety profile of a power forward nowadays.

He's quick enough to guard the wing but with his length he can be an added rim protector, as he gets more experience he is going to make it tougher on apposing teams offensive sets, it was starting to show at the end of last year. It takes time to develop an inside game offensively, I hope that is where we see his biggest improvement.

wow. I've forgotten just how long Richard has been at the U!!!

Not that's it's a big deal, but I think the saying is "garden variety." It blew my mind when I realized it was "intents and purposes" and not "intensive purposes." And I know someone at work who keeps referring to "pedestools" but I don't have the heart to tell him it's pedestal.

Keep him in that 30-35 range and I'm happy. There's other guys on this roster that can play. Too many tired Marcus Carr defensive lapses last year. Those can't happen. That's what our bench is for and we have depth this year, as has been stated multiple time already. Gach and Mash should be able to fill in at point for 5-10+ min. per game. Trust 'em.

Also some very costly mistakes with the ball late in games.

It all depends on what you are expecting from your 2 or your 3. But there are plenty of 2 and 3's who a coach be happy IF they could shoot 3's. One requirement is if you are going to play man to man and Ihnen is your 2 either he has to be able to defend the other teams 2 or trade matchups with a teammate...something the coach typically assigns. I think he has the ability to do that.

How is he less versatile on the perimeter than Gabe? Can Ihnen handle the ball on the perimeter?
Can he attack the rim from the perimeter? I don't think we know but I also don't think he's proven he can't. By his comments...he thinks he can.

Yes, he can play the 4 but has said he is not excited about posting up so if he plays better on the perimeter and I have other inside people (which we do) then I think he has the versatility to play 2 or 3
offensively and be productive. We have Robbins, Freeman, Mitchell, Johnson, Omersa, Curry, (6 guys) who are either 4 or 5's on my team and nothing else.

Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is not a good idea for getting production beyond expectations from your players.

My Best lineup
PG carr
SG Gach
SF Ihnen
PF Johnson
C Robbins

Everyone has Gabe in the lineup not sure why. He was terrible last season and only does one thing we’ll play defense. Sorry that isn’t a starting lineup worthy with this depth.

Bench
Mash
Gabe
Curry
Tre
Mitchell

Love this length and athleticism

My Best lineup
PG carr
SG Gach
SF Ihnen
PF Johnson
C Robbins

Everyone has Gabe in the lineup not sure why. He was terrible last season and only does one thing we’ll play defense. Sorry that isn’t a starting lineup worthy with this depth.

Bench
Mash
Gabe
Curry
Tre
Mitchell

Mutaf, Omersa and Freeman are gonna fight for minutes in that second group, I think. Hard to say who emerges.

My Best lineup
PG carr
SG Gach
SF Ihnen
PF Johnson
C Robbins

Bench
Mash
Gabe
Curry
Tre
Mitchell

Just a thought, but on a team that has been consistently poor on defense (at least in the defensive ratings I've been seeing) over the past several years, which seems to be a major reason they have trouble winning in the Big 10, you'd think that you'd want at least one guy who is a good defender in your starting line-up. Unless one is believing and hoping that we can win a a bunch of 91-88 games.

My Best lineup
PG carr
SG Gach
SF Ihnen
PF Johnson
C Robbins

Bench
Mash
Gabe
Curry
Tre
Mitchell

It's always fun to speculate on the starting line-up. As for Gabe, his defense will always get him a lot of minutes. But you're right, Gabe didn't shoot as good as he did as a freshman at only 34% from 3-pt, but Gach shot the ball even worse ... like 9% worse at 25% from 3-pt.

Also, the Big Ten is unique when you compare style of play with other conferences. It is physically more demanding and finishing at the basket, let alone getting to the basket, is much harder in the Big Ten. If we expect to win in the Big Ten, we need to be much better defensively and more efficient offensively. Whatever line-up accomplishes those 2 things is who I expect to start and play the majority of the minutes next year and it could also lead to a short bench when we get to crunch time in the Big Ten season.

Everyone has Gabe in the lineup not sure why.

I believe there is now way Gabe isn't the starting SG. He has started every game of his career and will continue to do so. His defense is way too often forgotten. Go back and look at whom he guards and how well he does at holding that player under his average.

If all waivers get approved, Gach will be the SF. Ihnen will come off the bench. Ihnen has a bunch of upside, but so far all we've seen him do is stand outside the three point line and shoot, be pretty good at defensive rebounding, and be pretty bad at defense. If he grows in some areas, he will play a lot. But, he isn't a starter yet.

Last edited:

Could have a situation where one of the very best players does not start but plays more minutes as a result of being more versatile in a mix and match.

Could have a situation where one of the very best players does not start but plays more minutes as a result of being more versatile in a mix and match.
Yeah we can only start 3 of Gabe, Johnson, Ihnen, Gach, and Williams. Gotta love having 5 players that are proven to be able to handle high quality competition fighting for 3 spots. It makes practice better and the team better. It’s like the blue chip ratio in football teams with over 50% 4 and 5 star players win the title every year.

I actually believe you should have one of your best players coming off the bench with the second group, there is only one ball for the first group, so no use wasting minutes with your best offensive players and not getting enough attempts and then putting out a second squad with full set of attempts and less than ideal players taking those attempts. In addition that player is facing the other teams second string defense.

Ihnen is an awesome 6th man and it's a great time for him to develop this year and hopefully grow into that upside while we have other proven guys who can get it done early on.

Top Bottom