Joe Nelson: All of a sudden, Gophers' 2020 starting 5 could be really good

Who is Joe Nelson? Haven’t heard that name before. Local guy?

He's a co-owner of "Bring Me The News" and worked for several years at KFAN. He occasionally writes for their site. It wouldn't be the first place I'd go to for news, but it's not bad. He's also obsessed with severe weather and tornado chasing.

This starting lineup can be scary good this year if Robbins and Gach get waivers. This team can be second weekend NCAA Tournament good if everyone stays healthy.

It all depends on what you are expecting from your 2 or your 3. But there are plenty of 2 and 3's who a coach be happy IF they could shoot 3's. One requirement is if you are going to play man to man and Ihnen is your 2 either he has to be able to defend the other teams 2 or trade matchups with a teammate...something the coach typically assigns. I think he has the ability to do that.

How is he less versatile on the perimeter than Gabe? Can Ihnen handle the ball on the perimeter?
Can he attack the rim from the perimeter? I don't think we know but I also don't think he's proven he can't. By his comments...he thinks he can.

Yes, he can play the 4 but has said he is not excited about posting up so if he plays better on the perimeter and I have other inside people (which we do) then I think he has the versatility to play 2 or 3
offensively and be productive. We have Robbins, Freeman, Mitchell, Johnson, Omersa, Curry, (6 guys) who are either 4 or 5's on my team and nothing else.

Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is not a good idea for getting production beyond expectations from your players.

He probably isn't less versatile than Gabe. But Gabe is a long ways away from versatile in his own right. He's a '3-and-D guy' in the truest form (assuming his '3' part of the equation returns). That's not versatility.

Ihnen took 17 (9 for 17 which is solid for a big) 2-point shots in 240 minutes. He recorded 12 assists. He took two free throws. I know 240 minutes isn't the biggest sample and he was hampered early by an injury which made earning consistent minutes impossible, but that's 10 games if he's a regular rotation guy. Two free throws, no matter what position you play, in 10 games is not good. 12 assists in 10 games is too low for a wing player put in position to be handling the ball, breaking down defenders and creating his own shot.

35 years ago, a guy who could shoot, could be viewed as a 2 or 3. Nowadays, the game is small. Teams put four guards on the floor more often than not. I don't want Ihnen chasing around point guards and combo guards. I want him in position to help against those types of guys. And I sure as heck don't want him on the floor with two other big guys. His floor spacing is an asset if he's playing a PF spot because it, in theory, pulls a big away from the paint. If he's one of your three guards, teams can guard him with a significantly smaller guy - which he wouldn't abuse because he has no post game - and the spacing would be rendered mute because we'd still have at least two non-shooters on the floor.

Ultimately, I'm moderately excited about Ihnen. I expect him to take a step and be an 18-24 minute per game guy who sees an uptick in production. But I don't see him as 'German KD', versatile or anything resembling a perimeter player. He's a college four man - hopefully a good one.

Not that's it's a big deal, but I think the saying is "garden variety." It blew my mind when I realized it was "intents and purposes" and not "intensive purposes." And I know someone at work who keeps referring to "pedestools" but I don't have the heart to tell him it's pedestal.
"I could care less" if you're trying to take this problem and "nip it in the butt." Anyway, "irregardless" of what happens, it's a "doggy dog world" and I don't want this post to be "all for not."

"I could care less" if you're trying to take this problem and "nip it in the butt." Anyway, "irregardless" of what happens, it's a "doggy dog world" and I don't want this post to be "all for not."
tenor.gif

Top Bottom