Joe Morgan, the Hall of Fame second baseman died at age 77

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Geez, tough go last few weeks for baseball HOFers of this era.

Go Gophers!!

This is your 2020 lineup of baseball players who have passed away, to this point (my childhood baseball card collection has taken a big hit):

C Biff Pocoroba
1B Bob Watson
2B Joe Morgan
SS Tony Fernandez
3B
OF Al Kaline
OF Lou Brock
OF Jimmy Wynn
DH Claudell Washington

SP Tom Seaver
SP Bob Gibson
SP Whitey Ford
SP. Don Larsen

RP. Ron Perranoski
RP Ed Farmer

Some other notable names: Jay Johnstone, Damaso Garcia, Matt Keough, Horace Clarke, Glenn Beckert, Johnny Antonelli, Frank Bolling

Last edited:

I have his rookie card. He shared billing with the legendary Sonny Jackson, both wearing Houston Colt 45s caps.

I have a scorecard somewhere from a game I went to at Wrigley Field in 1968. it was the Cubs - of the Banks, Santo, Billy Williams era against the Reds - during the Big Red Machine days. Rose, Morgan, Bench, Tony Perez, George Foster, etc.

for a regular-season game, that might be as many HOF players as you're going to see on the field at one time.

I have a scorecard somewhere from a game I went to at Wrigley Field in 1968. it was the Cubs - of the Banks, Santo, Billy Williams era against the Reds - during the Big Red Machine days. Rose, Morgan, Bench, Tony Perez, George Foster, etc.

for a regular-season game, that might be as many HOF players as you're going to see on the field at one time.
Morgan didn’t join the Reds until 1972, Foster in 1971.

This is your 2020 lineup of baseball players who have passed away, to this point (my childhood baseball card collection has taken a big hit):

C Biff Pocoroba
1B Bob Watson
2B Joe Morgan
SS Tony Fernandez
3B
OF Al Kaline
OF Lou Brock
OF Jimmy Wynn
DH Claudell Washington

SP Tom Seaver
SP Bob Gibson
SP Whitey Ford
SP. Don Larsen

RP. Ron Perranoski
RP Ed Farmer

Some other notable names: Jay Johnstone, Damaso Garcia, Matt Keough, Horace Clarke, Glenn Beckert, Johnny Antonelli, Frank Bolling

Quite a starting pitching rotation.

Ed Farmer was also a fantastic radio announcer for the White Sox. When he teamed with Steve Stone, I thought they were amongst the best tandems in the booth.

I was a little young for his time with the Reds but I remember really liking that 1983 Phillies team in large part because of Morgan. He was just a guy you rooted for. RIP.

Looking at Morgan's stats, I was surprised he was more than 400 hits short of 3,000.

However, as a non prototype power hitter he was ahead of the curve as far as valuing the base on balls. He ranks 5th on the All Time Walk list with 1,865 behind Bonds, Henderson, Ruth & Williams. Good philosophy, considering who he had hitting behind him. Understatement.

Top Bottom