joe mauer = adam weber

I suggest a trip over to www.baseball-reference.com for some of you. It's pretty interesting stuff-type in a name of any legend you want, whether they're considered a clutch performer or a goat and you will invariably see everyone of the greats has had at least one postseason where they've struggled mightily.

When I was young, I was always astounded at how many batting averages became putrid once we got into postseason play; and then I figured it out, the pitchers they face in the postseason are generally better than regular season pitchers.

You know how the Twins hit in the '91 Series? The team batted .232 with an OBP of .294. Puckett hit .250, Hrbek .115, Shane Mack .130.

The mighty '01 Yankees, who were shut down by the buzzsaw of Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling hit .183 with an onbase of .240.

I'm not saying that Sabathia and Pettite are Johnson and Schilling, but they're awfully good pitchers. I get the frustration with the Twins and Mauer, but to start making the type of statements made by some on here really speaks to a lack of understanding of playoff baseball. To pin this entire postseason malaise against the Yankees on one player strikes at the very core of what baseball's all about.

The Gophers won national titles with Hauser in goal. The Gophers don't win squat with Weber at QB.

What part of silly comparison was missed? The part about people hating Hauser as well is grossly overlooked though.

If Weber was as good at football as mauer is at baseball we would of been in 2 rosebowls by now. Mauer only 3 batting titles as a catch, and a mvp! Weber=Punto minus his great defense.

If Weber was as good at football as Mauer is at football it would be an improvement. He didn't have a scholarship to FSU for nothing.

Hardly Comparable

The Gophers won national titles with Hauser in goal. The Gophers don't win squat with Weber at QB.

Today to be the best in college hockey is to be the best of 53 teams. To accomplish that requires the winning of many regular season games, and winning a certain number of playoff games. Other than in lose and go home playoff games - it is okay to have a few bad days in college hockey.

To be the National Champion in BSC College football you have to be the best of 120 +/- teams; have one or fewer loses in the regular season; be appointed to be one of two teams to play in the Championship Bowl Game; and win that game.

It only takes being in the top 2% of college hockey to be the champion. With any amount of luck, that is not even necessary. Just win a qualifying conference tournament after qualifying in final slot for those playoffs, win-out and VIOLA - your in the final 12, 16 or 20 depending on the breeze.

With help of some computer magic and other more political voodoo - the last college football team standing just barely rounds to the top one percent of teams playing at that level.

Div I basketball is even more impressive, but it has a tournament backdoor or two. Although very few teams have made much of run even when that backdoor has opened.

Speaking of great Twins players...

Seriously though, this isn't directed at you, as I see various bastardizations of the word on this site from time to time.

The word is spelled "voilà".

I know athletes are suppose to play when they are injured but it still decreases their production.
Maurer is injured big-time and i foresee surgery in the very near future. I never do hear him use it as an excuse or hide when the games really count.

Calling him gutless, choker and loser pretty much tells you mental capacity of the poster. Hope he doesn't have any children. Pity the poor coaches and teachers that have to deal with him when they are of age.

Seriously though, this isn't directed at you, as I see various bastardizations of the word on this site from time to time.

My favorite is "wa la."

Though on different levels (one professional, one college), I think the Mauer-Weber comparison is fine. By all appearances they both appear to be classy, unassuming young adults who carry themselves with a great deal of dignity. Generally speaking, I wish there were more like them in the world of athletics. Derek Jeter is another one that comes to mind.

Though on different levels (one professional, one college), I think the Mauer-Weber comparison is fine. By all appearances they both appear to be classy, unassuming young adults who carry themselves with a great deal of dignity. Generally speaking, I wish there were more like them in the world of athletics. Derek Jeter is another one that comes to mind.

Immediate and lifetime ban!

In terms of professionalism & how to present yourself as an athlete, Jeter and Mauer are the first two guys in MLB that come to my mind when I think of the word "pro". Only difference is one plays in New York and has multiple championships, the other one plays in Minnesota and is still trying to get his first.

You have to add Pujos to the list. The prom he puts on and attends every year in STL for the mentally handicapped is 2nd to none.

Yankees are tough, Twins are losing to what is probably the best team. I'm not a big Twins fan but it is hard to complain about the success they have had.

I'm glad that the majority of fans in the Twin Cities appreciate Mauer, but the fact that anyone bashes him based on some small sample size nonsense is really sad. He's a special player and the Twins are lucky to have him.

Crap

Cementing my position as one of the worst spellers known to man. I wish I had added Frank on the front just in case.

Mariano Rivera up on the mound, we've lost the first two games at Yankee stadium, who put the ball in the seats for a grand slam...game on the line.

So one at-bat in a regular season game in May completely outweighs his 2-for-28 batting with 12 strikeouts in the postseason? You've gotta be kidding me.

Mauer's "clutch stats" are much better than Kubel's over the course of their careers and it's not even close. By the way, last postseason, Joe hit .417.

I know we're all frustrated by the Twins play right now, but you certainly can't blame it on one guy.

Adam Weber's ineptness aside, I think the criticism of Mauer is valid. This "feel-good" "underdog" Twins BS has gone far enough. It's not a small-market franchise anymore. This new ballpark (even before it was completed) is making the organization money hand over fist.
For as much money it now costs to attend a game, and for as much as Mauer is about to make, I think fans deserve a little more than what we've seen in the postseason. An 11 game playoff losing streak is not acceptable, and the team's high-profile guys need to be held accountable.
If he were in New York, Chicago, Philly or LA, Mauer would be getting crucified.

Bingo

"is Mauer give Wendlestadt a piece of his mind last night. Show some damn fire."

Yup. Or walk out to the mound and tell Pavano, "look, you got jobbed on that all. Let's get this mofo on the next pitch." Instead he did nothing. Gardy had to come out a get tossed. Posada would have handled that differently.

Top Bottom