Joe C: Wolitarsky's ankle injury could lead Gophers to pull another redshirt.

Other ailments:

OTHER AILMENTS
A quick rundown on the other medical news:​
* RT Ben Lauer re-aggravated his ankle injury.
* Kill said RT Jonah Pirsig, TE Maxx Williams and TE Drew Goodger all threw up on the sideline during the game. RB Berkley Edwards had thrown up on Friday night.
"It’s no excuse, just the flu or whatever," Kill said.

I don't get too caught up in redshirting vs. not redshirting a guy but it would be a shame to pull a redshirt this late in the season unless the guy is going to be a key part of the offense. If he is just going to run a few routes for depth purposes that would be a pretty worthless use of a year, similar to what happened to Logan Payne in his freshman year where he basically just played special teams and ran a couple of routes but was barely used.

Kill was speaking highly of Logan Hutton during his Thursday radio show, he would seem like a good candidate to see some additional use in the final few games.

isn't Eric Carter ready to step in?
Can't Logan Hutton be used in spot duty?
Marcus Jones can't sub in for a play or two?

We have other options than pulling a redshirt off a kid who is barely going to be a factor the rest of the season. Trust me, our gameplan is going to get more and more conservative against the top teams in the league just like last year and our WRs are going to be less and less valuable these last 4 games. There is absolutely no need to burn more redshirts at this point.

We have other options than pulling a redshirt off a kid who is barely going to be a factor the rest of the season. Trust me, our gameplan is going to get more and more conservative against the top teams in the league just like last year and our WRs are going to be less and less valuable these last 4 games. There is absolutely no need to burn more redshirts at this point.

Couldn't agree more. Not worth it for 5 games.

especially the way we throw the ball-its not worth wasting a redshirt.

I hope burning the redshirt of one of our two prized freshmen receivers is the absolute last resort. Not for them to run 4 routes a game.

Seems like over reading into comments. Pulling a RS off someone this late would be idiotic to put it bluntly.

Other ailments:

OTHER AILMENTS
* Kill said RT Jonah Pirsig, TE Maxx Williams and TE Drew Goodger all threw up on the sideline during the game. RB Berkley Edwards had thrown up on Friday night.
"It’s no excuse, just the flu or whatever," Kill said.[/
A lot of fans were sick after the game.

Add Devon Wright to the list...curious why he doesn't play?
Move Wozniak to WR and take advantage of his skills. He's too skinny to block but he can definitely catch the ball and he is a rather tall target.

Any of the above options are better than pulling a RS for a WR on this year's team at this point in the year.

The coaches run all the practices and know who's hurt and who isn't. They'll make the call and there are still 5, not a game or two to be played.

(Well, somebody had to say it..)

Add Devon Wright to the list...curious why he doesn't play?
Move Wozniak to WR and take advantage of his skills. He's too skinny to block but he can definitely catch the ball and he is a rather tall target.

He does play on special teams as a gunner and does a good job - when he doesn't make the tackle he forces the ball carrier into other tacklers. I thought Devon would be a star - he has all of the physical skills - fast and shifty as well. He was moved to WR from running back last year if I remember right.

The coaches want to get the most talent on the field. It would be unfortunate to burn another redshirt (has anyone seen Connor Mayes the last few games) of one of our more talented recruits this late in the season but the coaches want the team to be competitive. If it takes burning a redshirt to maybe catch a big pass or two or three against Iowa or WI or NE than that's what they'll do.

Obviously they don't feel like Hutton or Carter can replace what Wolitarsky was doing. I think we'll probably throw more as the season goes on. Hopefully not 30 times but I would guess in the 20-25 range.

So who's it going to be? I would guess Jerry Gibson or Holland Jr. The offense needs another big man with good hands. Jones is still a work in progress. He can run but his body control and pass catching skills are not scary yet.

Freuchte is emerging which is wonderful.

Other ailments:

OTHER AILMENTS
"It’s no excuse, just the flu or whatever," Kill said.[/
A lot of fans were sick after the game.

I laughed when I saw that too. Who wasn't puking watching that first half? Or the last 5 minutes?

I hope burning the redshirt of one of our two prized freshmen receivers is the absolute last resort. Not for them to run 4 routes a game.

Could get an early start on watching passes zip overhead...

To be fair, it looked like he was being hit as he threw the Fail Mary. Come on now. He's had some humdingers, usually when under pressure or throwing left (he's like Zoolander) but he isn't that inaccurate.

You can have 12 receivers - if yo do not have a QB whats the difference.

Top Bottom