Joan Gabel has been named 19th chancellor of the of the University of Pittsburgh.

She's probably been looking since the Securian thing hit the papers. I got the impression that she felt "other schools allow this" forgetting where she was.

This should be a better job than the candidates we end up getting to fill the role. The last few Presidents have been decent people, but I was always a bit disappointed that we couldn't do a little better. I can't remember how he did vis-a-vis athletics, but Yudof is the last guy in the job that I really felt was up to it

I regard this as good news . Find the most competent candidate for the job and ignore WOKE politics in the selection process.

Arnie Carlson on with Chad Hartman said she should never have been hired, saying he looks out for herself and not the students.
Too bad Arnie isn't about 20 years younger...

Only if you interpret everything as a political agenda.
The vast majority of people work their jobs outside of any political agenda and do what is best for their organization.

I agree slab, if someone thinks it's impossible to avoid a political bent to do their job, that means they shoehorn it into everything.

It appears she was in over her head. Clearly not a good fit as others have pointed out. The U does have a mountain of issues to deal with. They will clearly need to hire the best possible person to lead the U. PLEASE, keep politics etc., out of the selection process.

Might be in the minority but she understood the role that FB could and should play as a State's principal D1 program. She was enthusiastic on the field and wore the school colors on a regular basis. For the Stripe-Out game last season she was tooling around the stadium driving one of the carts and having a grand ole time.

Certainly being Prexy has many other responsibilities and elements but I thought she was good for the FB program.

The vast majority of people work their jobs outside of any political agenda and do what is best for their organization.

I agree slab, if someone thinks it's impossible to avoid a political bent to do their job, that means they shoehorn it into everything.
The vast majority of people aren't president of major public university.

The job by nature is agenda driven in public space. Good luck keeping politics out.

When (if ever) has the U had a president who truly embraced athletics as the “front porch” to the university, as a major element in fundraising gains, school pride, rising admissions numbers and yes, a more positive view of the school academically? There are numerous schools that have placed that bet and won, including our neighbors to the immediate east (no, not St Thomas, although they’ve pushed their chips to the middle of the table on sports too). I would love to see the next president come in with that vision for what sports could contribute to the overall university experience.

When (if ever) has the U had a president who truly embraced athletics as the “front porch” to the university, as a major element in fundraising gains, school pride, rising admissions numbers and yes, a more positive view of the school academically? There are numerous schools that have placed that bet and won, including our neighbors to the immediate east (no, not St Thomas, although they’ve pushed their chips to the middle of the table on sports too). I would love to see the next president come in with that vision for what sports could contribute to the overall university experience.
And for the reasons you state, I can't see why they would hire an anti-athletic minded president. College sports are HUGE business these days, on TV 24-7, and provide exposure to successful programs.

I regard this as good news . Find the most competent candidate for the job and ignore WOKE politics in the selection process.
You do realize we are talking about the People's Republic of Minnesota. 🤔

No, ignore woke candidates.
Here's the thing. The U is almost certainly going to hire a new President with progressive values.

Minnesota is the most educated state in America by some measures. College educated people are rapidly shifting toward the Dems nationwide, and Minnesota will only continue to self-sort into a bluer state as time passes.

Young people who form the vast majority of the U's student body (customer base) are the most progressive demographic in America, and vote for what some call "woke" more consistently than anyone.

They want someone who represents their values at the U. Because their parents (and especially grandparents) keep saying that kids are the future, that they worry what kind of country and world they will grow up in...and then run to the ballot box to drown out everything their kids want their world to be.

It's fairly obvious this is true by observing her actions.

Arne would be the right person for the job if he was 20 years younger.
No he wouldn't. I don't know if you have ever worked around Arne Carlson, but he's a pretty self-important gasbag.

Top Bottom