JJ of Corn Nation - Who Would Want to Coach Nebraska Football? (If Scott Frost Is Fired)

hungan1

Reaction score
"Illinois? - Hahahahahahahahahahahah!"

IMHO, Nebraska is better off keeping Scott Frost with the Children Of The Corn.

Last edited:

Where have I heard those words before?

When you add in his buyout, I believe Mike Riley made around $15 million for coaching three years at Nebraska. Of course some coach will take that job. Even if you fail on the field the job will provide a big boost to your financial portfolio.

We laugh at Frost, but Nebby should keep him. This was never going to be the Cornholers' year to make a big move. They've played the 5th toughest SOS so far and still have 3 currently ranked teams ahead of them including a probable playoff team is OSU plus a tough but unranked Whiskey. I hate say it, but Frost has them on the upswing.

We laugh at Frost, but Nebby should keep him. This was never going to be the Cornholers' year to make a big move. They've played the 5th toughest SOS so far and still have 3 currently ranked teams ahead of them including a probable playoff team is OSU plus a tough but unranked Whiskey. I hate say it, but Frost has them on the upswing.
I agree they should keep him. It has turned into a tougher place to win

If I am a Nebrska team I'd want him to stay, you can't keep spinning the merryground and no candidate will ever be as good of a candidate as Frost was.

What facts lead you to state the Frost has them on the upswing?
His conference record is worse than his predecessors.
His personal life is in shambles.
He is the subject of a NCAA investigation.
The players he inherited including many on defense and the OL (five and six year players) will be gone and Martinez will be gone with no replacement currently available.
He has lost many of his early recruits and has never fielded a quality TB.
I must presume your statement was meant as sarcasm.

This guy is starting to bother me. He mentally resides in the mid ‘90s more than any other Nebraska shucker.

Hard to believe he is credentialed. Nebraska’s fan base IS delusional. Is Bo Pelini the only insider there who will ever have the nuts to call them out?

What facts lead you to state the Frost has them on the upswing?
His conference record is worse than his predecessors.
His personal life is in shambles.
He is the subject of a NCAA investigation.
The players he inherited including many on defense and the OL (five and six year players) will be gone and Martinez will be gone with no replacement currently available.
He has lost many of his early recruits and has never fielded a quality TB.
I must presume your statement was meant as sarcasm.
Nope. I actually watch football.

Hard to believe he is credentialed. Nebraska’s fan base IS delusional.

I work with a number of Nebraska alumni and, and based on my conversations with some of them, I don't think they are delusional about Nebraska's status in the current college football world. I also don't get that sense from reading their message boards from time to time. I think they're pretty realistic. They realize that they are in a prolonged down state and don't expect a return to greatness anytime soon. For now, I think they just want a better football team than they've had over the last five years or so. That's understandable. Nebraska football means a lot more to the average Nebraskan than Gopher football means to the average Minnesotan.

This guy is starting to bother me. He mentally resides in the mid ‘90s more than any other Nebraska shucker.

Hard to believe he is credentialed. Nebraska’s fan base IS delusional. Is Bo Pelini the only insider there who will ever have the nuts to call them out?
No way, I love him, he is hilarious. Wish the Gophers had someone like him.

No way, I love him, he is hilarious. Wish the Gophers had someone like him.
I guess in this segment I simply did not care for his belittling of other programs they compete against.

Nope. I actually watch football.
They don't have a QB who can play next year (cause if they did Martinez would have at least been spelled at points this season) and even with the amount of returning "talent" they had this year they are likely not making a bowl unless it is on APR purposes. Close losses are still losses and they haven't proven they should be picked to beat anyone.

Next year is going to be a step BACK from what they are this year...everyone knew that because the core of the team was going to be gone.

I disagree about the upswing. They have continually lost close games with him. He sucks. Gopher fans should clamor to have him there as long as possible.

I disagree about the upswing. They have continually lost close games with him. He sucks. Gopher fans should clamor to have him there as long as possible.

The Nebraska fan base seems to think that losing close is the predecessor to winning.
They seem to have the rationale that close losses are a flip of the coin, and therefore eventually luck will win out and things will rebalance and they'll win all of their "close" games.

That's not the way it works.
Bad teams lose games.
Good teams win games.
That doesn't balance out just by chance.

I work with a number of Nebraska alumni and, and based on my conversations with some of them, I don't think they are delusional about Nebraska's status in the current college football world. I also don't get that sense from reading their message boards from time to time. I think they're pretty realistic. They realize that they are in a prolonged down state and don't expect a return to greatness anytime soon. For now, I think they just want a better football team than they've had over the last five years or so. That's understandable. Nebraska football means a lot more to the average Nebraskan than Gopher football means to the average Minnesotan.
Well, if the Gophers are is important to a third of Minnesotans that is the same as 100% of Nebraska! Just because we do not leave, eat and breathe U football, doesn't mean that we do not have just as many fans.

The Nebraska fan base seems to think that losing close is the predecessor to winning.
They seem to have the rationale that close losses are a flip of the coin, and therefore eventually luck will win out and things will rebalance and they'll win all of their "close" games.

That's not the way it works.
Bad teams lose games.
Good teams win games.
That doesn't balance out just by chance.
In the NFL at least, that is how it works. Teams don’t really consistently win or lose a high percentage of close games in the long term. Granted the NFL has salary caps and the draft to try to make the good teams worse and the bad teams better, but even just looking at one year to the next, “36 of 39 teams (92 percent) which have won or lost an unsustainable amount of close games in a single season over the last 11 years had their total record move in a predictable way the next year,” where I believe the article defines unsustainable as a team winning 5 more one score games in a single season than they lost, or vice versa.

Dunking on Nebraska is fine, but as far as determining if a team is good or not, I don’t really buy into the idea that the team that scored 45 points is great and the team that scored 42 points sucks. If you really suck, you lose by more than one possession.

Well, if the Gophers are is important to a third of Minnesotans that is the same as 100% of Nebraska! Just because we do not leave, eat and breathe U football, doesn't mean that we do not have just as many fans.
Your missing the point. Nebraska has college athletics.... That's it... Nothing else in that state.. we have the queens/gophers/wolves/wild...... They have nebby athletics..... The avg nebraska fan most certainly clamors for the huskers moreso than the avg gopher fan

Just not ones willing to come to games then. The gophers with the population in the state should have no problem filling one of the smallest stadiums in P5 football, yet they don’t consistently. Nebraska gets more fans to their spring game than Minnesota does to many big ten games. You can’t compare the fan support of the two programs. The gophers are on the lower end of fan support and booster support of big ten programs, even though they are winning.

Last edited:

He’s quickly becoming one of the best things in all of college football.

Your missing the point. Nebraska has college athletics.... That's it... Nothing else in that state.. we have the queens/gophers/wolves/wild...... They have nebby athletics..... The avg nebraska fan most certainly clamors for the huskers moreso than the avg gopher fan
In states like Nebraska and Wisconsin, there is this identity aspect of their teams.
Even "fans" who aren't really fans, buy all the clothing, cheese heads, etc., because their is this State Pride thing they all subscribe to. No one really calls anyone out on it in those states, because there aren't many people who move to those states from other areas.

So they all believe it's great and normal and even if you aren't a sports fan, you have to have your Badger or Huskers stuff to wear on game day.

In Minnesota, we're far more of a melting pot and more diverse in what we find entertaining (and what we wear on a particular game, especially if you aren't a pure sports fan).

Agreed on the demented and delusional fan-base. They need to come to the realization that their team is not that special. Go Gophers and F neb...can we petition to get them out of the Big Ten?

Just not ones willing to come to games then. The gophers with the population in the state should have no problem filling one of the smallest stadiums in P5 football, yet they don’t consistently. Nebraska gets more fans to their spring game than Minnesota does to many big ten games. You can’t compare the fan support of the two programs. The gophers are on the lower end of fan support and booster support of big ten programs, even though they are winning.
Nebraska puts 90k in for a spring game, who cares? They have nothing going on that state and still lose to our tiny fan base. The recruits don’t care or want to live in Lincoln Nebraska. They sell out their basketball games and never won a tournament game.

Some Nebraska fans seem to think it a disgrace if Nebraska loses to Minnesota.

They don't seem to realize that some Minnesota fans now consider a potential loss to Nebraska to be disgraceful.

In the NFL at least, that is how it works. Teams don’t really consistently win or lose a high percentage of close games in the long term. Granted the NFL has salary caps and the draft to try to make the good teams worse and the bad teams better, but even just looking at one year to the next, “36 of 39 teams (92 percent) which have won or lost an unsustainable amount of close games in a single season over the last 11 years had their total record move in a predictable way the next year,” where I believe the article defines unsustainable as a team winning 5 more one score games in a single season than they lost, or vice versa.

Dunking on Nebraska is fine, but as far as determining if a team is good or not, I don’t really buy into the idea that the team that scored 45 points is great and the team that scored 42 points sucks. If you really suck, you lose by more than one possession.

Moral victories are losses. Plus you are ignoring context. Yeah they lost to us by "one score" but it wasn't like it was a close game and they just didn't make the play. They needed a score, and onside and another score with a 2 point to win our game. They padded the stats with a late TD to make it look closer than it was...like when a hockey team scores an EN goal with 30 seconds left down 2.

Put it this way the Gophers wouldn't be getting any consideration as a "team on the upswing" if they had the same season.

Nebraska isn't Indiana, but they aren't Minnesota either at this point.

Recruiting rankings on a down swing. Lowest state population by far in the B1G. Sustained losing seasons, a hometown darling become coach that's becoming a huge problem, and a winning tradition that may as well be approaching retirement. This is the kind of situation where if the failing continues, the basement might be the new reality and the recovery might take 50 years.

Distilling this almost 9 minute video about why to coach the Huskers down to one sentence: We would be a nice stepping stone for a successful coach.

Hardly a position of strength.

Top Bottom