Jimbo makes players sign pledge

Brew_recruit

Reaction score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...ive-pledged-to-take-their-me?urn=ncaaf-301831

Jim Tressel aka "the guy who crushed Mason's dreams for life" decided to make the 5 players who were suspended for the first 5 games of next year sign a pledge that says they will come back for their senior season or they would not be allowed to play in their bowl game.

Anyone else think this is complete bs and is a bad standard to start in college football?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...ive-pledged-to-take-their-me?urn=ncaaf-301831

Jim Tressel aka "the guy who crushed Mason's dreams for life" decided to make the 5 players who were suspended for the first 5 games of next year sign a pledge that says they will come back for their senior season or they would not be allowed to play in their bowl game.

Anyone else think this is complete bs and is a bad standard to start in college football?

Complete BS and a gimmick.

Agreed. I saw it on the ticker and thought the pledge will not be worth the paper it's printed on. What's going to happen if they go pro and break the pledge? Nothing.

If it's sincere, I love it and I have regained some respect for Tressell and his program.

As far as being a bad standard to set, I think it's good in this situation. This is a unique situation.

Complete BS and a gimmick.

Gimmick it is. Pryor already was coming back as were the other's likely. With the NFL CBA questions and not knowing what is going to happen with Rookies in the NFL, many juniors are going to stay.

so why don't the players make the coaches sign pledges that they won't leave for another job?

I was listening to ESPN the radio on the way to work tonight and the guy talking about it (can't remember which one) brought up a few good points about this situation. Everyone will think that the players have the upperhand in this situation, and they do, in college that is. If they signed this pledge, play in the bowl game, and turn pro after it's all said and done, what does that say about their character and how do NFL teams look at that from a loyalty standpoint? If one of them were to go ahead and back out on their word, what does that say about them as a man? Not much! If they do that now, would they be likely to do that down the road in contract negotiations? This puts a huge bullseye on their backs and people are going to watch each one of them under a magnifying glass up until the day that they have to decide to declare for the NFL draft. When the dust settles and everything remains the same, then I think this says a lot about the character of those five boys and the fact that they can keep their word and stay loyal to a coach AND team!

Brew_recruit, the only way that relates to this situation is if a coach commits violations prior to him being rumored to take a job. Otherwise it barely relates to tOSU's deal they have going on now. However, if you want to turn over a new leaf, I do believe all coaches involved in violations that affect a school should have to carry that baggage along to the next school they coach at ala John Calipari with UMass and Memphis prior to UK. Just my 2 cents....

I don't think they signed anything - they mada verbal pledge was my understanding.

I think the NCAA and the NFLPA would have a serious issue with players signing pacts like that. I think this was more a gesture to the team and the whole solidarity thing. The player could get hurt in the season he agreed to stay and then try and sue the University because he only signed the pact in order to play in the Bowl game. The ONLY winner in this whole thing is Ohio State in terms of being able to play in a well televised game. It just seems like they open themselves up to some future legal B.S. Lower draft status, injury, crimes, etc....

Just sounds like bad business to me, which is pretty much the norm these days..

If it's sincere, I love it and I have regained some respect for Tressell and his program.

As far as being a bad standard to set, I think it's good in this situation. This is a unique situation.

I agree. While this is an isolated incident and the pledges are not binding, I at least give Tressel some props for forcing the issue a bit. Tressel's a good coach and program administrator. Like everyone else, he's had his problems with player behavior, but usually he seems to get out in front of it.

I agree. While this is an isolated incident and the pledges are not binding, I at least give Tressel some props for forcing the issue a bit. Tressel's a good coach and program administrator. Like everyone else, he's had his problems with player behavior, but usually he seems to get out in front of it.

If that were the case, they wouldn't be playing in the Sugar Bowl.

My guess is that the people at the Sugar Bowl probably wanted these guys playing. Just a hunch that may have had something to do with the decision.

Top Bottom