Jimbo Fisher's firing shows how low the bar is for PJ Fleck at Minnesota

Maybe paying a Jimbo Fisher ~$100 mln - with a ridiculous buyout - is a bigger problem?!?!
It really is. Only fools and ridiculous money can do what they did and it won't be repeated anytime unless there are bigger fools.

Was this written by someone in 8th grade? Not even remotely similar circumstances in any way

Texas A&M has had like four or five straight top ten classes. It's well known that their boosters set aside like $25 million or something like that for the 2022 class that ranked #1 with EIGHT five star players.

lol.....there's nothing remotely similar to the situation at Minnesota. Fisher is massively underachieving with the talent they are buying.

So Minnesota lost two games in a row to Big Ten teams, after winning the prior two against two Big Ten teams with more resources. Should they fire the coach now? Who would replace him? Where would the recruits go with a month before NSD? How many guys are going to portal out instead of playing for Joe Blow the new guy from the MAC? We would sure be putting our foot down against mediocrity, but I don't think it would make the program better.

I would say aTm is probably making an extremely expensive and hasty decision that will disrupt their recruiting class, roster of 4 and 5 star guys, and overall program. I think they have really smart coaches already who are more than capable of figuring things out, just as much as who or whatever is behind door #2.

But it's a stand against mediocrity for aTm. I guess that feels good for a while. But it doesn't help them catch Bama or LSU any sooner.

Anyone who would make this comparison doesn't follow college football.

The expectations are and should be drastically different. The pay range is different. The support is different. The history of the programs are different. The resources are different. We play in front of a half empty stadium and are covered by a local sports media that does not follow college athletics. A&M would get more attention for their spring game than we'd get for most games.

Note - can you imagine how these exact same people would react if we bought out PJ for a 1/50th of what Jimbo is getting? They'd act like we are snatching school breakfast from kids at Minneapolis North to buy off PJ.

Did you ever think that PJ's pleas for more NIL money is because he has a shopping list for College Station?

So Minnesota lost two games in a row to Big Ten teams, after winning the prior two against two Big Ten teams with more resources. Should they fire the coach now? Who would replace him? Where would the recruits go with a month before NSD? How many guys are going to portal out instead of playing for Joe Blow the new guy from the MAC? We would sure be putting our foot down against mediocrity, but I don't think it would make the program better.

I would say aTm is probably making an extremely expensive and hasty decision that will disrupt their recruiting class, roster of 4 and 5 star guys, and overall program. I think they have really smart coaches already who are more than capable of figuring things out, just as much as who or whatever is behind door #2.

But it's a stand against mediocrity for aTm. I guess that feels good for a while. But it doesn't help them catch Bama or LSU any sooner.
I agree with nearly everything you said except every time you fire a coach it is going to be right before signing day. The only chance of not firing a coach right before signing day is if you do it mid-season and then you have a bunch of lame duck coaches finishing out the season knowing there is a good chance they won’t be around next season.

"MN had its best season in over a century...."

except for those seasons where it won National Championships.

Geez - the 11-win season was nice. But this "best season in over a century' stuff is BS.
If they would have just added 1 word it would have been completely true, and still over a multigenerational time frame including my entire life and I was already 50 yrs old at the time:

"MN had its best season in over a half century...."

Read the article. What a waste.

Chris Schad knew about Fleck's problems then saw that Texas A&M paid a lot of money to get Jimbo Fisher out of there. While there was a link to the buyout amount notice that the actual amount isn't in the story?

Schad knew that Gopher football fans have been very vocal about wanting P.J. out of here. Schad figured that there must be a connection between Fisher's firing and P.J.Fleck.

His story didn't find one but it did stretch out that page.

Last edited:

Would be nice if Fleck were able to grab a player or two.

I am done with Fleck tbh, you had 3 years to find a replacement for Morgan and this is the best you got?

I am done with Fleck tbh, you had 3 years to find a replacement for Morgan and this is the best you got?
You’re a few games behind. The problem in our most recent toss-up losses isn’t AK8, who has performed OK. The problem is our porous defense.

I was going to say the same. A symptom of a larger syndrome. Sanford, and so on.

• Leisure class — members of the upper class who are exempt from productive work.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Theory_of_the_Leisure_Class
Great catch! You might add that the author of this famous work (The Theory of the Leisure Class) is Thorstein Veblen, the son of Norwegian immigrants. who grew up in Nerstrand, Minnesota and attended a fledgling college called Carlton in Northfield. Veblen, in this same work, coined the phrase “conspicuous consumption.” A renowned polymath, Veblen was once described as the last man in the world “who knew everything.”

Veblen would be agog that an enlightened industrial society would allow a misallocation like the Jimbo Fisher situation to occur (Fisher gets full payment running thru 2031 even if he takes another job), when those resources could be applied much less wastefully to benefit society at large. Of course, Veblen counted priests and ministers as members of the leisure class, too, as their careers and grand edifices were, in his mind, extremely wasteful, being devoted to an “anthropomorphic cult”—what you and I call organized religion.

Veblen would be much more widely read if his arcane and prolix style weren’t near impossible to comprehend!

Last edited:

Nice piece. A good reminder that you can be someone with absolutely no knowledge of college football, yet somehow make money offering dumbfoundingly idiotic opinions know to whoever is dumb enough to read repost.

Fleck's 2019 season showed me he's a good coach. Much better than anythibg we've had in 50 years.

Covid came at the absolute worst possible time. Ruined any momentum. But Fleck bounced back decently.

He's a very good coach. But most fans can't remember anything past 2 weeks.

Sounds to me like some GH‘s are jealous that T.A.M. has supporters just using pocket change to buy out Jimbo.

Sounds to me like some GH‘s are jealous that T.A.M. has supporters just using pocket change to buy out Jimbo.
Well yes, it would be great to have that kind of money flooding into the program, but the Jimbo situation does make aTm look pretty stupid.

The situations are completely different. Texas A&M has, from what I've read, some major boosters who may have their expectations too high. I get hoping for an elite program with Jimbo considering what he did at Florida State.

At the same time, it's not like it's a blue blood program. Since 2000 they've had one season with at least 10 wins. They've also earned just one division title. They had a pretty good stretch during the 80s and 90s, but even then, it was more comparable to the type of success Wisconsin had, Vs., say an Ohio State or Alabama.

Jimbo Fisher has been fairly consistent with the previous few regimes.

Top Bottom