Jim Dutcher: I’m pulling for Ben. I hope he’s able to get it turned around. It’s going to take two, three years to get this thing turned around."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Jim Dutcher, who turned 88 last week and who coached the Gophers to their last Big Ten men’s basketball championship in 1982, said he didn’t mind that son Brian, the highly successful head coach at San Diego State, was overlooked for the Gophers job that went to Ben Johnson.

“They’ve had such good success out (San Diego) there, sellout crowds, so that was fine with me,” Dutcher said. “I’m pulling for Ben. I hope he’s able to get it turned around. It’s going to take two, three years to get this thing turned around. Having (new assistant) Dave Thorson on the staff will be helpful for them. He’s well connected with Minnesota high school coaches.”

“Life begins at 88; that’s a nice round number,” Dutcher added. “I’ve been really fortunate, had no health issues and I feel good.”

Go Gophers!!

That's the first honest/realistic interview I've heard regarding Ben.

No, he'll do great, he'll excel, blah blah blah. The man was an assistant at programs that were mediocre at best.

We're all hoping Ben can turn it around. Thanks Jim.

That's the first honest/realistic interview I've heard regarding Ben.

No, he'll do great, he'll excel, blah blah blah. The man was an assistant at programs that were mediocre at best.

We're all hoping Ben can turn it around. Thanks Jim.
Are you Brian himself? You have been relentless in your posting ever since the announcement. We get that you are hurt. Please take some time to heal and get back to us once we have a roster. The fact that you call the Gophers a mediocre program is telling. Ask and you shall receive.

Are you Brian himself? You have been relentless in your posting ever since the announcement. We get that you are hurt. Please take some time to heal and get back to us once we have a roster. The fact that you call the Gophers a mediocre program is telling. Ask and you shall receive.
Calling the program mediocre is being kind. Facing the truth can be painful. The good news is we do not have to stay mediocre.

I don't take SDGFs comments as negative at all. UMN has only won the B1G in 82 and 97. That means UMN has demonstrably been...mediocre. No one can actually deny that reality without lying to themselves.

Papa Dutcher is correct. It will take 2-3 years to determine what kinds of players Ben can recruit.

Last edited:

I mean, if you feel we have been worse than mediocre by all means express that. I'm sure you're not saying we've been above average the last 8 years.

Calling the program mediocre is being kind. Facing the truth can be painful. The good news is we do not have to stay mediocre.

I mean, if you feel we have been worse than mediocre by all means express that. I'm sure you're not saying we've been above average the last 8 years.
A mediocre program doesn't beat highly ranked Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Michigan squads in near succession ... the last three in blow outs. Mediocre isn't a team ranked in the top 25 for over a month. Mediocre is bottom of the barrel without a sniff of success for years.

I see a program over the last decade plus that has moments every year where you think that we might finally have something special. They just can't ever seem to get over the hump to put it together for months at a time- let alone consecutive seasons.

This isn't a mediocre program or you and I wouldn't be on this board. We care because they tantalize us with what seems to be a squad capable of making the tourney annually and then they rip our hearts out. I'd say highly disappointing is a more apt description.

A mediocre program doesn't beat highly ranked Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Michigan squads in near succession ... the last three in blow outs. Mediocre isn't a team ranked in the top 25 for over a month. Mediocre is bottom of the barrel without a sniff of success for years.

I see a program over the last decade plus that has moments every year where you think that we might finally have something special. They just can't ever seem to get over the hump to put it together for months at a time- let alone consecutive seasons.

This isn't a mediocre program or you and I wouldn't be on this board. We care because they tantalize us with what seems to be a squad capable of making the tourney annually and then they rip our hearts out. I'd say highly disappointing is a more apt description.
Measure it how you want. I will measure it the way i see it. As a program for over a generation it is mediocre. Look at the won loss record, the conference finishes, winning zero conference titles, not even close, no conference tourney titles, few tourney games won. MEDIOCRE.

The results have been mediocre. But, they tallied in bizarre ways to get there.
I don’t view the program as mediocre such that it would require a miracle worker.
It just needs a coach who proves over time he is not mediocre at his craft.

Can you look up our B1G record the last 8 years and get back to me? thanks!

Edit: Here you go

54–96 (.360)

the work "mediocre" and how it is used fascinates me.

from dictionary.com:

The definition of mediocre is something that is just average, or not very good. When your dinner is edible but not very good, this is an example of when it is mediocre. Neither very good nor very bad; ordinary; average.

Note the part that says "neither very good nor very bad." and yet, a lot of people use "mediocre" as a put-down or an insult.

If I said the team had an average or an ordinary season, that is perceived differently than if I said the team had a mediocre season - and yet, in the strict terms of definition, they mean virtually the same thing.

then again, some people might say this was a mediocre post........

I agree with a few others here; mediocrity would actually be an improvement. Outside of Gopher fandom, I highly doubt anybody considers this program even mediocre, but rather just plain bad. And you'd have to really stretch to even put together a coherent argument against it, especially against other power-five schools.

And that perception is going to continue until Johnson (or someone else) can actually do something worthwhile in the conference standings for more than a fleeting year here or there.

Just the way it is.

the work "mediocre" and how it is used fascinates me.

from dictionary.com:

The definition of mediocre is something that is just average, or not very good. When your dinner is edible but not very good, this is an example of when it is mediocre. Neither very good nor very bad; ordinary; average.

Note the part that says "neither very good nor very bad." and yet, a lot of people use "mediocre" as a put-down or an insult.

If I said the team had an average or an ordinary season, that is perceived differently than if I said the team had a mediocre season - and yet, in the strict terms of definition, they mean virtually the same thing.

then again, some people might say this was a mediocre post........
no..... think was more average

I agree with a few others here; mediocrity would actually be an improvement. Outside of Gopher fandom, I highly doubt anybody considers this program even mediocre, but rather just plain bad. And you'd have to really stretch to even put together a coherent argument against it, especially against other power-five schools.

And that perception is going to continue until Johnson (or someone else) can actually do something worthwhile in the conference standings for more than a fleeting year here or there.

Just the way it is.
Exactly. And it can be done. It has been done at programs as bad or worse than this one.

My thought, too. In fairness to Richard, his last team was ranked in the Top 20 at one point before things started to come apart. This now shapes up as a rebuild because of the talent we've lost since the coaching change. That and rebuilding the local recruiting foundation, of course.

Top Bottom