Jim Dutcher figures the current Minnesota program under second-year coach Ben Johnson is “making progress.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

Still an astute observer and former Gophers TV analyst, Dutcher figures the current Minnesota program under second-year coach Ben Johnson is “making progress.”

“They’re not a threat to win the Big Ten championship, but they do have some pieces that they can build around,” Dutcher said.

Go Gophers!!

Is anyone surprised that a former gopher is saying positive things? Of course they won’t burn bridges by trashing the Gophers, it does them no favors.
Dutcher nailed it. Get some good guards. The guard play was suspect.

The first two replies to the OPs post basically sum up the current Gopher Baksketball fanbase perfectly :)

Last edited:

Dutcher is a kind man, and these are kind words, but...

I'm not sure that I'd call what I'm seeing "progress." Or, if it is, it's looking like it'll take Ben about a decade to get this thing back in shape.

Dutcher is a kind man, and these are kind words, but...

I'm not sure that I'd call what I'm seeing "progress." Or, if it is, it's looking like it'll take Ben about a decade to get this thing back in shape.
Really, the progress Ben has made is that he starts the March portal recruiting with a much better base than he has the past two years. He's a couple of guards away from making this work- if he can coach them. The record is abysmal but he has some pieces assembled. I think he has more to sell to transfer guards than people here think.

Really, the progress Ben has made is that he starts the March portal recruiting with a much better base than he has the past two years. He's a couple of guards away from making this work- if he can coach them. The record is abysmal but he has some pieces assembled. I think he has more to sell to transfer guards than people here think.
You went down this road with the previous coach. Blind optimism and undying support.

How did that turn out?

Johnson gets a third year but unless there is big jump it’s highly unlikely he gets a fourth year.

We’ll see. There’s also a lot more tape out there now of Ben’s teams sucking. Two players that have transferred in have since entered the portal with a year of eligibility remaining. Certainly having Payne and JoJ as sophomores is better than what we had as a foundation last year, but I think it’s a stretch that any difference making player is choosing to come here because of the roster.

We’ll see. There’s also a lot more tape out there now of Ben’s teams sucking. Two players that have transferred in have since entered the portal with a year of eligibility remaining. Certainly having Payne and JoJ as sophomores is better than what we had as a foundation last year, but I think it’s a stretch that any difference making player is choosing to come here because of the roster.
Well we have Payne, Garcia and JOJ- so I would think that a really good PG who is perhaps going to be a senior or grad transfer could see a chance to play with good bigs. Ben will be selling those guys as potential all conference guys that need the right PG/ shooting guards. Obviously it is a chance to play and lead a Big Ten team as well. Will it work? I don't know.

Well we have Payne, Garcia and JOJ- so I would think that a really good PG who is perhaps going to be a senior or grad transfer could see a chance to play with good bigs. Ben will be selling those guys as potential all conference guys that need the right PG/ shooting guards. Obviously it is a chance to play and lead a Big Ten team as well. Will it work? I don't know.
You'd sure think it would. Honestly, he can offer 2 guards Big Ten starting positions on a team with a top 4-5 front line in the conference. That said, he has done nothing as it pertains to guard play since he's been here. Hasn't really recruited or developed any. We will see. As it sits, the kid coming in as a true freshmen is probably your starting PG.

Two players that have transferred in have since entered the portal with a year of eligibility remaining.

Yes, but we don't know for sure that they will both play in college next season. Nate Reuvers entered the portal two years ago but eventually decided not to pursue another year of college basketball. The same thing happened with a forward from UNC (I can't remember his name) who Johnson was recruiting during his first summer here.

You'd sure think it would. Honestly, he can offer 2 guards Big Ten starting positions on a team with a top 4-5 front line in the conference. That said, he has done nothing as it pertains to guard play since he's been here. Hasn't really recruited or developed any. We will see. As it sits, the kid coming in as a true freshmen is probably your starting PG.
Whether or not Christie ends up being a PG long term, I don't know, but I hope he is good enough to be starting at the 2G next year and we have a experienced and quick PG to play with him. I think it is pretty tough for a natural shooting guard to come in and direct a Big Ten team at PG as a freshman.

Whether or not Christie ends up being a PG long term, I don't know, but I hope he is good enough to be starting at the 2G next year and we have a experienced and quick PG to play with him. I think it is pretty tough for a natural shooting guard to come in and direct a Big Ten team at PG as a freshman.
Agreed. It's not that I want that, it is that who is even on this roster at the moment that can play the 1? Or even the 2? Carrington take one of those spots? He didn't look like he was a great ball handler from the games I watched. Ihnen? People here say he is a guard, but I saw more a #4 that wasn't very physical. I also don't expect more than a token 7-8 minutes per game for him next season but we will see.

Heck, they started Henley at the 2 this year, but IMO, he was a butcher there and more a #3.

You went down this road with the previous coach. Blind optimism and undying support.

How did that turn out?

Johnson gets a third year but unless there is big jump it’s highly unlikely he gets a fourth year.
You haven't followed along if you think I have blindly supported Johnson. When he was hired I was disappointed and I have been pretty critical of him during the season. That said- he is going to be our coach next year and I really, really hope he is successful. That would be fun. Whining about him all summer long...would not be.

With Pitino I warned that firing him would end up in a melt down and it did. They were right to fire him but the result, if you have gotten to know our U of M administration, was predictable.

Agreed. It's not that I want that, it is that who is even on this roster at the moment that can play the 1? Or even the 2? Carrington take one of those spots? He didn't look like he was a great ball handler from the games I watched. Ihnen? People here say he is a guard, but I saw more a #4 that wasn't very physical. I also don't expect more than a token 7-8 minutes per game for him next season but we will see.

Heck, they started Henley at the 2 this year, but IMO, he was a butcher there and more a #3.
Carrington is not a PG in my view. I could see us going with a portal PG with Christie and Carrington flanking him- when going small or one of Christie and Carrington at the 2 with JOJ at the 3.

Garcia is just chopped liver?

Seems to me that a PG in the portal could do a lot worse than come play for a Big Ten team with a solid front court. Not going to be a ton of Power 5 starting jobs out there where there would be virtually no competition to beat out for playing time at the PG position.

There absolutely is potential to build around what we have and turn this around quickly with the right pieces......whether or not Johnson is capable of finding those pieces is what we will find out this off season and will most likely determine whether or not he is the coach here beyond next season.

Garcia is just chopped liver?

Seems to me that a PG in the portal could do a lot worse than come play for a Big Ten team with a solid front court. Not going to be a ton of Power 5 starting jobs out there where there would be virtually no competition to beat out for playing time at the PG position.

There absolutely is potential to build around what we have and turn this around quickly with the right pieces......whether or not Johnson is capable of finding those pieces is what we will find out this off season and will most likely determine whether or not he is the coach here beyond next season.
Portal and Potential are the 2 P words that I was thinking about. The portal can be Ben's friend this year (next 45 days). I wouldn't say "progress" like the article states but I have hope and I see potential. My wish list: 2 solid portal PG's and a 6'10 bruiser to spell Payne for 10 minutes per game. I do agree with many posters who say that basically a starting BIG pg spot is on the table. That has to look attractive to any PG currently in the portal.

That's not for 2 years..... we have 0 pg on this roster as it sits for next year... Christie may play pg but that doesn't mean he is a point guard. Ben loves playing people out of position... Ala battle... Ala t.t.

I was talking about Christie playing the point, but sounds like he is more of a #2. How many power 5 teams are able to sell starting spots at both of their guard positions in a season?

Some people say Ben can recruit. This(recruiting from the portal), to me will tell you if he can or not. He needs 2 guards that are starting caliber. Let's see if he gets any or if we end up with more D2 guys.

Watch some of his games and let us know if you think he is ready to be a B1G starting 2G

Watch some of his games and let us know if you think he is ready to be a B1G starting 2G
I take it that you don't think so and you could be right. I have seen clips not full games. Here's what I think: He's one of the 5 best seniors in the top division in Illinois- that's pretty darn good. Will he be ready to start by fall? I have no idea. I watch Andre Hollins play his last game in the state tournament in Tennessee and he didn't look great - other players looked quicker. By midway through his freshman year he was starting and playing pretty well. He wasn't bad....

I take it that you don't think so and you could be right. I have seen clips not full games. Here's what I think: He's one of the 5 best seniors in the top division in Illinois- that's pretty darn good. Will he be ready to start by fall? I have no idea. I watch Andre Hollins play his last game in the state tournament in Tennessee and he didn't look great - other players looked quicker. By midway through his freshman year he was starting and playing pretty well. He wasn't bad....
I don’t think he will be ready. He needs to bulk up a bit, plus he is not going to blow by you. He has good range and a nice intermediate game, but I think he needs a year before he is a real factor, but i still would be interested in what you see from watching his games.

I don’t think he will be ready. He needs to bulk up a bit, plus he is not going to blow by you. He has good range and a nice intermediate game, but I think he needs a year before he is a real factor, but i still would be interested in what you see from watching his games.
Will check it out when I have a little time. Thanks!

There is absolutely NOTHING to suggest this program is making progress. In fact you could argue quite the contrary.
There are two data points of progress:

1. The young guys got better throughout the year - Payne will be star- that helps!
2. We are in better shape at this point in the spring than we were the prior two years. We have 8 scholarship players coming back (9 with Ramberg)- as opposed to 2 in Bens 1st year and 4 in his second year

You can argue that we aren't making progress in wins and losses and you would be right- the results are horrid there. But you cannot argue that there is NOTHING that points towards progress.

There are two data points of progress:

1. The young guys got better throughout the year - Payne will be star- that helps!
2. We are in better shape at this point in the spring than we were the prior two years. We have 8 scholarship players coming back (9 with Ramberg)- as opposed to 2 in Bens 1st year and 4 in his second year

You can argue that we aren't making progress in wins and losses and you would be right- the results are horrid there. But you cannot argue that there is NOTHING that points towards progress.
I agree and also look to the last 4 games. They played pretty well in all of them and went 2-2.

Plus, the front line of this team took a big step forward. Garcia looks like a bonafide stud, Payne looks like he could be and JOJ has promise as well.

Still need to see much more, but if a solid PG can be had in the portal and Christie turns out to be good early, they could be much better next year. Heading the right way is fine, but to begin to turn this around, Ben needs to find a hammer guard in the portal or he will be in trouble after next season.

I agree and also look to the last 4 games. They played pretty well in all of them and went 2-2.

Plus, the front line of this team took a big step forward. Garcia looks like a bonafide stud, Payne looks like he could be and JOJ has promise as well.

Still need to see much more, but if a solid PG can be had in the portal and Christie turns out to be good early, they could be much better next year. Heading the right way is fine, but to begin to turn this around, Ben needs to find a hammer guard in the portal or he will be in trouble after next season.
Yep, things need to come together in a big way.

They better be all American guards. Seriously even with two good guards it’s an under .500 big ten team

Top 4-5 front line in the conference? Who am I missing?

The problem with those two wins is they needed a miracle finish from Battle to beat Rutgers, Cooper also 9 points and 11 assists in that game. Then Cooper had 16 and 11 in the Nebraska win, with Battle chipping in 13 points and 8 rebounds.

They're now gone and some people actually believe they will be easily replaced.

Top Bottom