Jim Delany: We've given non-BCS leagues enough

From a tradition perspective I don't understand why they didn't match Stanford and Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl and send TCU to play Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

The BCS is much better than the old system economically for the non-AQs.
The BCS is much better than a 4 team playoff economically for the non-AQs.

From a tradition perspective I don't understand why they didn't match Stanford and Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl and send TCU to play Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

Wisconsin/Stanford in the Rose Bowl would have tremendous appeal...although Stanford would get steamrolled.

Do you honestly think TCU/Virginia Tech would be a match-up that the Orange Bowl folks would want:eek:

On a separate note, Jom Delaney is the ideal guy to lead the Big 10 into the next chapter of its existance. Let the non-AQ's go do their own thing:p

Leave the big money to the Big Boyz:cool:

Like I posted in another thread; as long as we don't have a playoff, have the top two teams play for a championship and let the bowl games go on as they were. This year Oregon and Auburn in champ game and Wisconson vs Stanford in Rose Bowl. Why do we need all these other bcs games.

He didn't go far enough. We've given them too much. Way too much.

With the moves of Utah and Nebraska (not to mention, TCU to the Big East) the "Rose Bowl Rule" must be changed back. Frankly, it is ridiculous that it hasn't already happened.

He didn't go far enough. We've given them too much. Way too much.

With the moves of Utah and Nebraska (not to mention, TCU to the Big East) the "Rose Bowl Rule" must be changed back. Frankly, it is ridiculous that it hasn't already happened.

Agreed.

Like I posted in another thread; as long as we don't have a playoff, have the top two teams play for a championship and let the bowl games go on as they were. This year Oregon and Auburn in champ game and Wisconson vs Stanford in Rose Bowl. Why do we need all these other bcs games.

Since they made the BCS Championship a "stand-alone" game, there hasn't been ant reason at all. But it has worked out nicely for the Non-AQ conferences who can cry "collusion!" and threaten lawsuit if they aren't included.

The "Rose Bowl rule" is already a moot point. It was a one-time clause, and it has already been exercised. Don't worry your pretty little head, xenophobe.

You'd think non-AQ schools would clamor to get on AQ schools' non-conference schedules.... Oh wait, they might lose and have to toss out the "unblemished" record argument far too early for their apologists. :pig:

Given them too much? They still have no chance to win a national title.
"scrap the whole idea and go traditional bowl" YEAH! THAT WILL WORK (sarcasm). There is only one way to go, and it's the opposite way. I'm sure we'd all be happy that Oregon wouldn't be playing Auburn. (although an 86-81 final between oregon and wisconsin would be cool). Fans would beeetch even more. In all honesty, it's the reason why I never want SIU to be an FBS team. I'd rather be in a league that I had shot at winning a championship, instead of at best making the godaddy.com bowl (where the MAC champion ends up).

The old system got BYU a national championship, they were tied in to the Holdiday Bowl, and thus wound up having to play a 6-5 Michigan team. Michigan finished tied for 6th place in the Big Ten that year. BYU won 24-17. So, the old system let the schools from the non-AQ conferences get the chamionship if they finished #1, and they didn't face a significant challenge in their bowl game. I don't think anyone is serious about going back to that.

Playoff/Bowl combo plan

Ive always liked a playoff system that has the 8 conference champions playing for it all and then the bowls for everyone else...including the schools that loose in the first round of the playoffs. Payouts are based on how far your team advances...money for each round. Rewards the best teams.

Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East and then two highest rated conference champions from the other D-1 conferences.

Use a BCS system to rank seed the tournament and play first and second round in Dec separated by two weeks and then championship game in Jan like now with the first round losers being tied in to bowl games and second round losers playing a consolation game before the championship game.

Seems to me that we would get all the bowl money plus playoff money and the best 8 teams (more people want to watch the best teams) would play more games and conferences would get playoff money based on how their teams perform plus thier normal bowl money...I could see a $10 mil base payout for round 1, another $10 mil for round 2, $10 mil for consolation game and $15 mil for championship game. Have it be a home game for the higher seed in the first round and then treat round two, conso and champ game like bowl games at pre-determined stadiums.

Just a thought.

Until they develop a playoff system, they haven't done enough for anyone.

I think what Delany is trying to say, subtlety, is that any playoff system that was devised would probably be less inclusive of non-AQ schools than the current system is. Any play-off with more than 4 teams is going to add at least two games to the schedule and any spots in a potential playoff are going to have a very high premium on them. The Big Ten, SEC and PAC 10 aren't going to give those spots away to teams playing in significantly inferior leagues.

Top Bottom