Jesperson to announce today

Valid points on the connections; however, a big-time coach can overcome connections. Tubby is the kind of coach that can't currently overcome these types of recruiting barriers, so we are going to be stuck at 10-8, 9-9 for the rest of his tenure.

Nice to hear from you, Miss Sally Sunshine. Look, I wasn't impressed with Jesperson, and I'm not crying tears that we lost him. Granted, if he was a big target for the program, and we couldn't get him, that's always a bad sign. But I think it's a very, very low probability that we just missed out on anything more than a rotation player. Again, people are bummed that we missed out on somebody we wanted, but look at who it was. Gaining Jesperson wouldn't have dramatically changed this team for the better, and losing it doesn't change this team much for the worse. Now, if the rumblings are true, and we lose Coleman, I'll be very, very upset. But Jesperson? To be honest, I'm not ready to panic.

Valid points on the connections; however, a big-time coach can overcome connections. Tubby is the kind of coach that can't currently overcome these types of recruiting barriers, so we are going to be stuck at 10-8, 9-9 for the rest of his tenure.

Over-react much? How about we give Tubby and staff the full recruiting season before leaping to conclusions. It's not like we just missed on a 5-star recruit from Mpls North here. The past class was disappointing but clearly had mitigating circumstances. I trust this one will be better. If it's not I'll get conerned then.

I really do think we'll be in fine shape if we land Coleman, Oglesby, and Travis. Maybe add a PF or PG to that and we have a very solid class. Ofcourse if we don't land Oglesby, theres Brogdon, if we don't land Brogdon or Coleman, then we can worry.

If you're not concerned about recruiting you should be. I really thought the addition of Vince Taylor would help Tubby but the same problems keep popping up for him. I still remember when he told Thaddeus Young he wanted him to put on 50 pounds and play PF for him. Tubby has a serious disconnect with today's game and how basketball athletes want to be utilized not to mention his issues with focus and work. Some people have classified this in the past as laziness. I've never believed that. I believed it to be more along the lines of hubris.

He needs to listen to Saul more. Saul's been saying this stuff privately for years and he's got a feel for the modern game, in terms of coaching and recruiting, that his father just doesn't have.

Speaking of hubris.......

please just worry about Kentucky. When will they be going on probation? For how long? When will Johnny bail? etc.etc....Lots of stuff on your plate.

please just worry about Kentucky. When will they be going on probation? For how long? When will Johnny bail? etc.etc....Lots of stuff on your plate.

Not my fault you're misinformed.

Tubby struggles with recruiting and program management.

Not my fault you're misinformed.

Tubby struggles with recruiting and program management.

Pure BS on both. The KY Klan is back.

Tubby has signed Top 20 (or better) classes in 12 of the past 15 years. Few other coaches have done as well.

If you're not concerned about recruiting you should be. I really thought the addition of Vince Taylor would help Tubby but the same problems keep popping up for him. I still remember when he told Thaddeus Young he wanted him to put on 50 pounds and play PF for him. Tubby has a serious disconnect with today's game and how basketball athletes want to be utilized not to mention his issues with focus and work. Some people have classified this in the past as laziness. I've never believed that. I believed it to be more along the lines of hubris.

He needs to listen to Saul more. Saul's been saying this stuff privately for years and he's got a feel for the modern game, in terms of coaching and recruiting, that his father just doesn't have.

Then how is it that Tubby continues to rank among the Top 10-15 coaches in Div I basketball?

Say, Truth, you're a UK fan, so you would know. When do you expect all of Kentucky's records to get wiped out for the period John Calipari is coach? And when do you think he'll leave UK? Obviously, it'll be one step ahead of the NCAA infractions committee, but do you think Kentucky's lust for success at all costs will allow him to cover up his rampant cheating for five years or more, or do you think abject failures like last season will cause him to lose defenders and be shown the door like Billy G?

When will you UK people just accept that we don't care what you think and leave? Good god, it's ridiculous. Has there been a single GH'er on the LBSU 49er boards warning them about the evils of Dan Monson? I certainly hope not. Tubby served his purpose at UK, you grew tired of him, you're glad he left, we're glad to have him. Great. The same goes for Monson. Move on.

I'm sorry if my comments offend you.

Tubby's tenure at Minnesota is starting to draw parallels with his time at Kentucky: Poor recruiting, legal problems, academic problems, turmoil and constant transfers. You can take all the potshots at UK you want but that won't change the situation. If you don't want open and honest discussion I suggest you employ some sort of moderation system that closes out access to anyone but homers and pie in the sky optimists.

Tubby's tenure at Minnesota is starting to draw parallels with his time at Kentucky: Poor recruiting, legal problems, academic problems, turmoil and constant transfers. You can take all the potshots at UK you want but that won't change the situation. If you don't want open and honest discussion I suggest you employ some sort of moderation system that closes out access to anyone but homers and pie in the sky optimists.

More pure BS.

Coincidentally, you can take all the potshots you want at the University of Minnesota men's basketball program, but it won't change the situation at the University of Kentucky, which, under the leadership of John Calipari, one of the sleaziest coaches in the history of college basketball, is establishing a new high watermark for a dirty program, without (as of yet), the wins to (in the minds of the amoral) justify his complete lack of ethics. So, you can keep coming on here, years after Tubby left UK to complain about how he "dragged down your program" with "lazy recruiting" and "turmoil." That's fine. Frankly, I love how Tubby's doing his job, and I'm perfectly satisfied with having a decent and clean program that also happen to have a chance to win every year. If you, like most Kentuckians, would rather have a dirty program as long as it gives you a National Championship, which will be wiped away in a few years, that's your prerogative. But I, and I suspect quite a few Gopher fans, don't care about Kentucky, and don't care about your thoughts on Tubby any more than you care about my thoughts on Calipari. Seriously. Why are you still here?

I have no problem with the Gopher fans on this board starting discussion of thier concerns. I simply am tired of the 5-10 UK fans who feel the need to hijack threads and re-hash Tubby's UK tenure ad nauseum. We don't care. He's not the greatest coach who ever lived, but he's good enough for us. Go enjoy your sucess with coach Sleaze while you still can and leave us in peace.

Say, Truth, you're a UK fan, so you would know. When do you expect all of Kentucky's records to get wiped out for the period John Calipari is coach? And when do you think he'll leave UK? Obviously, it'll be one step ahead of the NCAA infractions committee, but do you think Kentucky's lust for success at all costs will allow him to cover up his rampant cheating for five years or more, or do you think abject failures like last season will cause him to lose defenders and be shown the door like Billy G?

Kentucky cheated under Adolph Rupp (1953 NCAA "death penalty" sanctions), Joe Hall (1976 NCAA probation and sanctions), and Eddie Sutton (1989 NCAA probation and sanctions).

I don't think Calipari cheats like they did but he does tiptoe on the line.

I am...

...a lifelong Minnesotan, a U of M graduate, and as devoted a Gopher fan as you'll find.

And I say The Truth speaks the truth. We are ignoring all the signs and signals of a troubled program.

If Tubby's job was to recruit the parents, he'd be fine. I just think his time has passed and his 'classy ways' fall on the deaf ears of today's youth. I think he's a great coach but young, slick, and maybe even sleazy coaches rule the day in the eyes of recruits. He will always make us a little better than average, but nothing more....and please don't reference numbers about what he did in Kentucky. It has no relevance to modern times.

I just think his time has passed and his 'classy ways' fall on the deaf ears of today's youth.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you define what you mean by "classy ways" and how those ways are outdated?

If Tubby's job was to recruit the parents, he'd be fine. I just think his time has passed and his 'classy ways' fall on the deaf ears of today's youth. I think he's a great coach but young, slick, and maybe even sleazy coaches rule the day in the eyes of recruits. He will always make us a little better than average, but nothing more....and please don't reference numbers about what he did in Kentucky. It has no relevance to modern times.
Interesting point...I don't know how he is with recruits, but I can see what you're saying re: parents and the "old school."

Last 3 years ONLY. I presume those are "modern times" for you. Anything later than 2007.

2008 (with roster that went 9-22 in 2007) the Gophers were 20-14 with NIT appearance.

2009 (with Top 20 recruiting class added) the Gophers improved to 22-11 with NCAA appearance.

2010 (with loss of starting PG and top two recruits) the Gophers struggled to 21-14 but Big 10 tourney runner-up and NCAA appearance. The Gophers SHOULD have been closer to 25 W but may have been even better with the PG and both recruits all year.

Tubby signed most of his (if not yours) primary recruiting targets in 2008 and 2009. He missed his top target in 2010.

So Tubby has averaged 21-13 at Minnesota. How does that compare to Gopher "average" records in modern times, say last 25 years?

That is absolutley false IMO. He has had ZERO trouble getting Recruits interested in Minnesota. What is the one thinthat Trevor Mbakwe, Royce White, Paul Jesperson, and the majority of recruits all say is the best thing about Minnesota? Tubby Smith. I haven't heard a top recruit say yet, "well, I'm a big fan of not having a practice facility, its a great plus!" or "Joel Maturi is such a great AD, I can't wait to go play for his University" We are never going to get the arrogant 5 star one and done's with Tubby. But you know what? He doesn't want that type of kid. Tubby wants good kids with a good attitude.

The coach alone does not get recruits, he can get a lot of solid guys by himself. But without the Universities support, it is tough to do more.

...a lifelong Minnesotan, a U of M graduate, and as devoted a Gopher fan as you'll find.

And I say The Truth speaks the truth. We are ignoring all the signs and signals of a troubled program.

Yep, 3 straight 20+ W seasons for first time in school history. Back-2-back Top 20 recruiting classes. First (ever) appearance in championship game of Big 10 postseason tourney. Multiple W over archrival Wisconsin. First W at Wisconsin and at Illinois in many years. Signs and signals, indeed.

People need to stop acting like Paul Jesperson and Joe Coleman are the only ones who can "save" this program. Yes, I would LOVE to get Coleman here in maroon and gold. But it is his decision, no one can force him here, and if he doesn't want to play here life will go on. No coach gets every recruit they are after and Tubby is no different, the Gophers will be just fine and the sky is NOT falling.

People need to stop acting like Paul Jesperson and Joe Coleman are the only ones who can "save" this program. Yes, I would LOVE to get Coleman here in maroon and gold. But it is his decision, no one can force him here, and if he doesn't want to play here life will go on. No coach gets every recruit they are after and Tubby is no different, the Gophers will be just fine and the sky is NOT falling.
I agree to an extent.

However, if Tubby & Co. cannot land Joe Coleman (who will end up a 4 star, Top 75 player IMO), and we're his hometown team, numerous family connections to the U, pedigree, seemingly honest assessment that he's loved the U since he was little, having Tubby be your coach, I think he'd be the biggest recruit the U has lost out on since Khalid El-Amin (bigger than Dahlman, Aldrich, Leuer, etc. because of his genuine love for the U, whereas the others were never interested in us like he is/was, as they signed when Monson was the coach).

If we don't land him, I'm really going to think we're in BIG trouble. Not for the fact of losing Joe Coleman the individual per se (b/c I'm sure we'll be ok with whoever else gets his scholarship), but based on the fact we can't land the hometown kid with all of those things going in our favor.

I could be proven wrong on this, but I think there's a lot of Chicken Little going on with Joe Coleman. Lots of unnecessary hand-wringing and message board drama right now, in my opinion. Joe loves the Gophers, has been on campus numerous times this summer, his brother Dan is working out on campus this summer getting ready for his upcoming season overseas. Has Joe's recruitment been perfect? No. But, at the end of the day, he will stay home and be a Gopher, IMO. It really doesn't do any of us (or the program) any good posting things on message boards about how we will lose Joe, etc. Wait until he makes a decision. If he chooses somewhere else, then melt down. No need to melt down now, particularly when I firmly believe MN is the strong leader in his recruitment.

I could be proven wrong on this, but I think there's a lot of Chicken Little going on with Joe Coleman. Lots of unnecessary hand-wringing and message board drama right now, in my opinion. Joe loves the Gophers, has been on campus numerous times this summer, his brother Dan is working out on campus this summer getting ready for his upcoming season overseas. Has Joe's recruitment been perfect? No. But, at the end of the day, he will stay home and be a Gopher, IMO. It really doesn't do any of us (or the program) any good posting things on message boards about how we will lose Joe, etc. Wait until he makes a decision. If he chooses somewhere else, then melt down. No need to melt down now, particularly when I firmly believe MN is the strong leader in his recruitment.

TJ, when is the end of the day for Mr. Coleman? Recruiting has a momentum factor to it, and the longer he waits to announce a decision, the more it hurts overall recruiting. I am long past the stage of holding my breath over a teenager's decision making, but it would help the program if he announced sooner rather than later.

TJ, when is the end of the day for Mr. Coleman? Recruiting has a momentum factor to it, and the longer he waits to announce a decision, the more it hurts overall recruiting. I am long past the stage of holding my breath over a teenager's decision making, but it would help the program if he announced sooner rather than later.

He recently told Ryan James that an August decision was likely. So, that means it is likely only weeks away. He also told him this, which made me comfortable with the way things are going for Minnesota:

"I will sit down with my brother and my family, we will evaluate everything, and hopefully make a decision at the end of the summer."

I think that bodes well for the Golden Gophers. Again, if August gets here and he says he is going to be an Iowa State Cyclone, then by all means, melt down. Until then, much of this message board hand-wringing is a lot of unwarrated wasted energy and anxiety, IMO, and could actually help undermine the Gopher recruiting efforts for Joe.

Until then, much of this message board hand-wringing is a lot of unwarrated wasted energy and anxiety, IMO, and could actually help undermine the Gopher recruiting efforts for Joe.
In what way?

I think the biggest possible mistake the U could make would be to think they have Coleman in the bag...no kid wants to feel that sense of entitlement from a coaching staff. I'd think the recruiting period would be one of the most exciting, yet stressful times in these guys' young lives, having all of the big-wig coaches/teams calling you all the time, going on campus visits while being treated like a king, etc.

I hope the U coaching staff is putting the full court press on Coleman, literally as many visits, phone calls, texts as the NCAA will allow. You know darn well that all of the other schools are doing it...I just hope we don't let him go through our fingers because we thought we had him "in the bag."

I normally wouldn't think this, but JohnnyGopher is probably the most well-connected poster on this board, and even he said yesterday that if the Gophers think they have Coleman they are mistaken (or something to that effect), and him becoming a Gopher is far less a "sure deal" than everyone seems to to think it is. Based on Johnny's track record, I'm going to believe him.

And THAT is what makes me worried.

TJ, thanks for brightening my day. I really hope you're right.

In what way?

What could help undermine Coleman's recruitment is if the fan base comes off as fractured and losing faith in the coaching staff. That could impact it. So, why publicly show that? Let's just let the coaching staff work and see what Joe decides. All of this "sky is falling" and "cause for concern" posting is not helping any recruiting. That's my point. Sure, if you want to concern yourself with it, knock yourself out, have a few sleepless nights, I don't care. All I'm saying is that it does no good publicly stating it on a message board that recruits likely read. It weakens the coaching staff's position with the recruit.

THAT is what makes me worried.

What good does it do if you are worried? Nothing. How about instead of posting things that indicate you have a lack of faith in the coaching staff, you let the coaching staff recruit the young man and see what he decides. If he goes somewhere other than MN, then by all means, you have reason to be concerned. But, why worry until then? Publicly showing a lack of faith in the staff BEFORE Joe makes his decision undermines the goal. It does no one any good, especially when I still think MN is the clear leader for Joe's services.

I think at the end of the day we'll get Joe Coleman. All of the hand-wringing will be wasted energy. But, in the meantime, the hand-wringing certainly doesn't do our program any good, that's for sure. That's all I'm saying.

Top Bottom