Jersey Numbers Posted

I care because it probably means that they are now officially cleared to be on the team.

Plsek is listed as an athlete, not a TE.

I care. And I know why, too. Because it's nice to know who the floop just made that huge hit/catch/play by simply looking at the numbers. =)

What I wonder, though, is why Troy changed his number?

I care. And I know why, too. Because it's nice to know who the floop just made that huge hit/catch/play by simply looking at the numbers. =)

He's trolling everyone who plans to buy a #11 jersey, but are unaware he changed numbers.

It's obvious, isn't it? They're going to move Troy back to WR (because he is "dynamic with the ball in his hands"). Meanwhile, they are moving Gray to WR and installing Shortell as the starting QB. You can't have two #11s on the same side of the ball, so Troy had to change numbers. It's all so simple.

It's obvious, isn't it? They're going to move Troy back to WR (because he is "dynamic with the ball in his hands"). Meanwhile, they are moving Gray to WR and installing Shortell as the starting QB. You can't have two #11s on the same side of the ball, so Troy had to change numbers. It's all so simple.

You just had to do it didn't you LOL

In all seriousness though, it is strange how so many players change numbers mid-career despite not changing positions. In addition to the others already mentioned, I noticed Levine changed from 23 to 6. It is easily explained in the pros ($), but not so in college. Maybe it's a case of not having the numbers they really wanted in the first place and waiting for someone to graduate so they can get them? Though that wouldn't explain exactly why Levine and Carter essentially traded numbers. I guess this is one of those instances where you remember that these are all young men and their whims change minute-to-minute, let alone year-to-year.

In all seriousness though, it is strange how so many players change numbers mid-career despite not changing positions. In addition to the others already mentioned, I noticed Levine changed from 23 to 6. It is easily explained in the pros ($), but not so in college. Maybe it's a case of not having the numbers they really wanted in the first place and waiting for someone to graduate so they can get them? Though that wouldn't explain exactly why Levine and Carter essentially traded numbers. I guess this is one of those instances where you remember that these are all young men and their whims change minute-to-minute, let alone year-to-year.

Sometimes there's a double(or triple)-switch involving two (or three) players. Number choices are by seniority, so sometimes a guy doesn't get the number he wanted as a Frosh until his Junior or Senior year. Sometimes it works out for two or three guys after another guy graduates.

I have to admit this is one of the off-season plateaus for me. Love it.

Interesting to see our four "athletes" using:

85 Plsek, Lincoln
39 Anyanwu, Duke
33 McKelvey, John
4 Maye, KJ

Plsek is pegged at TE, Maye at RB/Slot. What of the other two?

I love jersey number stuff, too, and I have no idea why. UniWatch is awesome.

Carter has had 1, 6 and now 23. Maybe he didn't care about his jersey number as much and was willing to switch.

Grregory-McGhee switched to 19, which is just flipping the numbers. I believe he was 91 last year.

Kinda interesting that the punt/kicking team is pretty much in line from 36 to 41 (including a redshirted long snapper).

I like that college doesn't have the same number conventions as the NFL, but I especially hate anytime a kicker is in the 90s. I think the single-digit linebacker numbers look tough, like a single-digit pitcher in baseball.

8 of our WRs have numbers under 20, with notables DCT (80) and Moulton (86) bucking that trend.

Stoudermire: 11 to 2, 1+1=2. There ya go.

It seems to me that about 10-15 years ago, even, single digits became very popular......2, 4, 6, 8 especially. When I was a college freshman In '97 all of the skill position guys wanted numbers 2 & 4 right away.

8 of our WRs have numbers under 20, with notables DCT (80) and Moulton (86) bucking that trend.

I know you said notables, but you also have Barker (82), Kiese (84), and Hutton (89). It seems our TEs have a lock on the 80s as well, so it's not like a lot of them really had a choice but to go into the sub 20 #'s.

Another notable: James Manual at #9 now.

Wow! 18 responses on jersey numbers. Is the season ever going to start? Oops, 19 responses ( mine) There is only one number I'm thinking about. Number 8, as in the number of wins I would like to see this year.

Jersey numbers are part of a player's identity. With like 100 guys on the team, and since the players wear helmets in the game, their jersey number IS what identifies them when they're playing the game. I think that's why it is of interest to many, including myself. It's not like basketball or something where you see faces every game, and there's only 15 guys.

I know you are being snarky but you may have hit the nail on the head. I suspect it is a way to be safe in case Troy plays some O. Given the lack of play-makers, I suspect we will seen occassional use of Troy at wr in certain packages.

Stoudermire: 11 to 2, 1+1=2. There ya go.
I think that the choice in WR numbers mirrors what's going on in the NFL. I remember very few WRs that wore numbers that weren't in the 80s in the 1980s and 90s. Keyshawn Johnson was the first "star" player that I remember going with a number in the teens. Now it seems like more often than not, WRs have numbers from 10-19.

Breakin' The Plane said:
I think that the choice in WR numbers mirrors what's going on in the NFL. I remember very few WRs that wore numbers that weren't in the 80s in the 1980s and 90s. Keyshawn Johnson was the first "star" player that I remember going with a number in the teens. Now it seems like more often than not, WRs have numbers from 10-19.

I think its the other way around, NFL players are mirroring college. College WRs could have non-80s numbers, but there was a rule that you couldn't in the NFL. Keyshawn was the first to do it and I think he had to pay a fine IIRC and Reggie Bush tried to get to wear #5, but wasn't allowed.

I can't believe I just read this thread. Wow.

C'mon. Memorizing player numbers is a necessity when you're at the games. Here, i'll even start a fight by saying it's far more relevant than wondering if we have enough scholarships for the players we get commitments from. I at least know these numbers are real and a fact!

Jersey numbers are part of a player's identity. With like 100 guys on the team, and since the players wear helmets in the game, their jersey number IS what identifies them when they're playing the game. I think that's why it is of interest to many, including myself. It's not like basketball or something where you see faces every game, and there's only 15 guys.

This. Despite knowing well in advance, Troy becoming #2 will probably confuse my brain for about 3 games.

I think its the other way around, NFL players are mirroring college. College WRs could have non-80s numbers, but there was a rule that you couldn't in the NFL. Keyshawn was the first to do it and I think he had to pay a fine IIRC and Reggie Bush tried to get to wear #5, but wasn't allowed.

In the NFL, wide receivers could go to the teens if the team had given out and/or retired all of the numbers 80-89. In training camp, when rosters are expanded, that can happen. Players were supposed to switch back once a number in the 80s was available though, or pay a fine, as Keyshawn did. (In 2004, the NFL allowed receivers to have numbers in the teens.) That is likely why when Randy Moss came to the Vikings, he had No. 18 during training camp and the preseason, but eventually switched to 84.

Pupungatoa, Cavaonte Johnson, and Jackson Miller added to roster. No sign of Fodness or Fudge.

Pupungatoa, Cavaonte Johnson, and Jackson Miller added to roster. No sign of Fodness or Fudge.

Not sure about Fodness but apparently Fudge left the team after only a few hours or something. No idea why though.

Top Bottom